It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did the religions survive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Some religions like witchcraft have majorly to do with metaphysical altering of the world, casting spells. But, still, not being able to see from a wiccian point of view, I am perplexed. Would there not even be one dark wizard who wanted to destroy things in, what seems to be impossible ways. And yet the religion has survived for so long. How is this possible?

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Wicca itself is a relatively new religon, based on the more ancient and varied Pagan religons.

Im notmquite sure though, exactly what question you are trying to ask here, or what point you want to get across.

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There has been no dark magician to destroy things because magic and spellcraft in that sense do not exist, there is no way to bypass the laws of the universe and cause the impossible to happen. Just because theoretically everything is possible does not mean everything IS possible. And Skadi is right in that wicca is a new religion

G

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I agree with what the other's have said. It is a relatively new religion. But it's no more seemingly impossible then some magical unseen deity altering the fabric of reality. I can tell you why hipochristianity has lasted so long. War war and more war. Personally, I'd say wiccans are more moral then hipochristians. Perhaps that's why there's no dark evil wizards hell bent on destroying the world in there religion. Those kinda thing's seem to be reserved for movies and fantasy novels. Or the bible.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I am just using that as an example. In every religion, there will be one person who wants power. And, usually, they will be stupid to make themselves known. I don't think that there is some wizard out to destroy the world, as told by the prophecy of the scrolls of eden, (making that up). I am just saying that if a religion such as paganism requires an altering of the physical world, it is, as I understand it, the basis of their religion. If the thing that they are most famous for is proven to be a sham!, would the rest of the religion not crumble with it?

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
You'd think that would be the case. But people seem to have this funny attribute called arrogance and gullibility. I mean, we can take a look at cults as an example. Even after the leader of the cult is found guilty of whatever crime he's commited against his "followers", there will still be some who stay true to the cult teaching's. Even after it's shown to be nothing more then a sham. Like hipochristianity, even after it was shown that Jesus was not and COULD NOT be the messiah as spoken of in JEWISH prophecies, his cult still amassed such a great following which only grew stronger after his death. He was a martyr. People feel they need to belong to something. It doesn't matter if it preach's truth or not. For some reason, I've never felt that way. I dislike alot of theoretical science that tries to be passed off as fact and I strongly dislike religous teachings that try and force itself as fact without any evidence at all period to back it up.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well, Wicca is new but Witchcraft is not, it's origins go back to the dawn of time most likely. Witches survived by being secretive, practicing their rituals where no one but themselves could see them. They hid in the forests and kept a very low profile. The Inquisition was so pervasive and horrible, that the tradition of secrecy and keeping a low profile became a big part of witchcraft. My personal belief is that there is at least one group that does practice evil magick. But evil magick is not a part of Wicca. There is the Wiccan Rede which says, "Do what you will, an it harm none." The general public really doesn't hear much about individual witches, so it's probably why you haven't heard of any evil wizards, but I assure you they're out there. To this day, many witches will not speak of their religion in the general public.
The Jews believe that the family is at the center of worship and have home rituals. That's probably how they survived, by practicing in home in secret when they had to. How did they survive? With very great difficulty. Also they lived in ghettos, which probably provided them safety.
Hope this answers your question.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkham
I am just using that as an example. In every religion, there will be one person who wants power. And, usually, they will be stupid to make themselves known. I don't think that there is some wizard out to destroy the world, as told by the prophecy of the scrolls of eden, (making that up). I am just saying that if a religion such as paganism requires an altering of the physical world, it is, as I understand it, the basis of their religion. If the thing that they are most famous for is proven to be a sham!, would the rest of the religion not crumble with it?

Wicca and Paganism are not solid, centralized religons, and thus, we have no centralized "holy texts" from one source, but we encompass almost all of the pre-Christian pagan faiths, such as Greco-Roman Myths, Celtic, Norse, native American, African, ect.

Basically, Neo-Paganism is very different from other religons. We do not have an "original disaster" or sin that we are trying to evolve from. You will find that most religons in the world do not have this. It is a trait mainly peculiar to the Middle eastern Religons of Judism, Christianity, and Islam.

You will also find that belief is very different from one Pagan to another. We do not follow one single path, but many, and the only really basic tenets of the religon is the eternal cycles of nature and all its forces. There is no beginning or end game. ts an ongoing process.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   
You cant say it doenst exist, the mind is a powerful source and it works in wierd ways....saying magic doesnt exist becasue you dont have it or you never seen it, its like a trillion dollars dont exist, cuz i bet you naver had or seen a trillion dollars.

Also its last this long because people believe in it, thats the only way other religions exist because people wont stop believing it.

So saying to people give up magic its like them telling you to stop believing in GOD.
its just not going to happen

[edit on 19-8-2006 by The Parasite]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Also its last this long because people believe in it, thats the only way other religions exist because people wont stop believing it.

And there are people who ACTUALLY believe that some really great stage illusionist's are performing real hocus pocus magic of the variety you only see in movies. The mind is EASILY tricked, one of the many reason's why illusionism works so well. One of the reasons hypnosis is so effective on most individuals. This just swings back upon that little attribute most people have. Gullibility.

Just because some people don't know how a great stage illusionist performs his act's doesn't mean he's performing feats of the supernatural. Just because primitive man had no idea how rain and lightning came about doesn't mean it was supernatural gods creating these natural processes.

Lack of knowledge a god does not make. Ignorance and gullibility does. Arrogance just prolongs the problem.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkham
Some religions like witchcraft have majorly to do with metaphysical altering of the world, casting spells. But, still, not being able to see from a wiccian point of view, I am perplexed. Would there not even be one dark wizard who wanted to destroy things in, what seems to be impossible ways. And yet the religion has survived for so long. How is this possible?

Why do people think that dark wizards would even care about what people think?

I dont think they would care about anything besides expanding their own knowledge of the universe. Religion for them would be almost so uninteresting as to not even know what it ment anymore.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   
the primitive man problay did beleive that the gods or who ever did creat lighting and rain the question that needed answered, its the same with us we believe in a god because the question to life was answered "god made life on this planet". since some one said that now we can all go to bed and night. worshiping him so that he can bring life. same way with primitive man they worshiped who ever made the rain cuz they need it and in hopes that it will come and if no one worshiped him he wont bring rain.

new topics

top topics

join