It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churches Want to Hide Scientific Evidence.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
From a purely objective standpoint, the issue of an organized group seeking to diminish or replace a widely accepted scientific topic with one of pure philosophy and faith fits the description of a "conspiracy". - New Forum For The Debate of Origins and Creationism

I saw this news story today:

The Sydney Morning Herald

Churches in push to hide ancestors

POWERFUL evangelical churches are pressing Kenya's national museum to sideline its world-famous collection of hominid bones pointing to man's evolution from ape to human.

Leaders of Kenya's Pentecostal congregation want Dr Richard Leakey's ground-breaking finds relegated to a back room.

The collection includes the most complete skeleton yet found of Homo erectus, the 1.7 million-year-old Turkana Boy unearthed by Dr Leakey's team in 1984 at Nariokotome, near Lake Turkana in northern Kenya.

The museum also holds bones from several specimens of Australopithecus anamensis, believed to be the first hominid to walk upright, 4 million years ago. The artefacts amount to the clearest record yet discovered of the origins of Homo sapiens.

As part of an expansion the European Union is funding, Nationnal Museums of Kenya, which manages the country's cultural sites, is conducting a survey to determine what visitors to its Nairobi headquarters most want to see.

Church leaders aim to hijack that process. "The Christian community here is very uncomfortable that Leakey and his group want their theories presented as fact," said Bishop Bonifes Adoyo, the head of Christ is the Answer Ministries, the largest Pentecostal church in Kenya.

"Our doctrine is not that we evolved from apes,...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow... I'm speachless.

That a group of ignorant people would go as far as to want to hide (ultimately to destroy?) the evidence that their "doctrine" is bunk, is a clear sign of complete detachment from reality. :shk:

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
What? Nobody has anything to say about this?

Edit: Thanks for the heads up Marge. It's too late to edit the original post, but here is a working link to the story

[edit on 8/16/2006 by Gools]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Nice thread and one that brings no surprises but wonder as how religious groups are on a bigger agenda that many dare to talk about.

Eliminating the proven facts to human humbles beginnings is just something that only people that wants to completely change history for religious agenda will even thing about.

Unless is something more sinister behind the whole idea . . . perhaps what many will like to do is to erase the possible link of first humans coming from Africa.

Then that should be a scary thought.

But remember that this could be the same people that wants the bible as the best history book available in the classroom.

BTW the link is taking me to ATS main page.

[edit on 16-8-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have never quite understood the fear Christianity has as far as evolution is concerned. Even if evolution is true, it doesn't disprove the existence of a creator. Not real sure what the debate is. Never have understood the hoopla surrounding the two factions.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Oh, agend agenda agenda.

I'm quite suere some sects do.

Just like I'm absolutely positive that some evolutionists do, too. Disproven for centuries: Still debates over how much of it was accurate and how much of it was lie...since things like vestegial "gills" grow into ears
and were never meant to be gills. Original drawings still used in textbooks at the college level.
The debates about Lucy not being our ancestor due to Homo Erectus bones being found in the same layer and been argued about since the 80s (against it being an ancestor by the ones who found it, no less), but it was used in textbooks as the biggest link between monkey and man as late as 2001/2002 as an ancestor.

As both sides can point to liars and charlatains, let them duke it out in public, and let people make their own decisions based upon what both spout as fact...at least at the collegelevel, where people are suposed to have brains in their heads.

That's not really done right now. One side has the upper hand and whenever the other side gets a toehold, the "winning team" screams bloody murder.

They are theories, not laws. Calling them overblown names changes nothing but their names.

Laws are predictable, neither Evolution (with it's dead ends and mutations galore) or Creation (with a God outside of the laws so much that he MAKES the laws) are truely testable, as they all happened in the past, and we can't recreate them (no new made species by natural selection, breeds yes, species, no) and (we ain't God, so we don't truely create something from nothing, we build upon previous existing material).

bah, am already tired of this.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well, evolution does disprove in a way the fundamentalist view of creation as is depicted in the bible. No where does it say, and god created the first comman ancestor of ape and man to walk upright and later evolve into modern man. While it doesn't disprove a creator, it does disprove one of the main stories attributed to that creator and if that one story is disproven, then what else is false? Ultimatly, it could be discovered that man himself invented the notion of a creator ... oh wait, that's been done already!

This really is sad, but not surprising. I don't think many people even know how much more advanced our species would be had religion never been created by man. We're literally rediscovering thing's we've already theorized and discovered way back in ancient times that religion destroyed back then. Atomic theory, electricity, even evolution itself. So much scientific progress could have and would have been made if religion hadn't created so many wars and misinformation propaganda campaigns to destroy all that progress. This is just another of many attempts to finnish what they started. Let's hope we don't let them win this time, else we have another dark ages.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Time to wake up the thread I think. This is finally in the news in the US. The Turkana Boy is going on display at Kenya's national museum in July. AP published an article on the 6th which went largely unnoticed.

Why isn't this being discussed? I think it's proof positive that evolution does take place and the fact that YE Creationists are ignoring it (except the bishop who's backyard the exhibit is being displayed) pretty much cements it in stone IMHO.

A replica of the skeleton is also now on display in the American Museum of Natural History in New York and is mentioned in the NY Times story on the exhibit that came out last night.

It's starting to hit blogs and is the top story on Digg (full of young atheists). Now all we need is an invitation from the Kenya museum to the preachers of YEC to examine it and see if they take up the challenge.

CNN Article

NYT Article

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I heard they are increasing security of a lot of the Kenyan exhibits due to threat of destruction...

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I've always thought that if you showed a video of evolution to some shepards that had no experience with our current technology that they might then retell the story much like it appears in the bible.

First, you start with soil.. Add some lightening and time passes. pretty soon you have single celled animals... then multi celled organism leading eventually to animals and man.

Retold by the shepard. God created man from a lump of clay...

Think about it.

Also, if God exists and evolution exists prehaps evolution is just one of God's tools.

new topics

top topics

join