It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMD Quad Core Processors By 2007

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
AMD announced that it has finished its tape out of quad core processors. The say equipment makers will be able to drop the new socket into mother boards with virtually no changes in the mother boards. The quad core processor is expected to give a real power boost to users.

www.informationweek.com...

Advanced Micro Devices on Tuesday made the first major upgrade to its successful Opteron server processor. The change will include a shift to a new socket the company says will carry it through next year's conversion to quad-core processors while providing users with hardware-assisted virtualization and use of second-generation double data rate memory for the first time.

They are saying this is for servers right now. But it will be nice when it filters down to the computer user market. We all like speed in our processing. It will be interesting when we find out just how much of a performance increas the quad core will make.

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Ohh yes, already drooling.

I tells ya, Photoshop just ain't right on a PC once you've tried it on a mac . . . even though it does look better!

How long until desktops have it?

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
the problem for amd is i believe intel will have a quad core version of their conroe chip available at a similar time?

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
the problem for amd is i believe intel will have a quad core version of their conroe chip available at a similar time?

Yes Solidshot, I have hear that is correct. I have no link to back this up but from what I have been told, the quad core chips desighned thus far, have not produced much of a speed increse. That is what makes me wonder about the amd desighn. They did not relise a preformance increse but they say it will be a great increse, so will amd overtake intell for micro processors?

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Intel is already testing its Kentsfield cpu which is a quad core cpu and is suppose to be out Q1 of 07. Some people already have them in hand and hitting nearly 5ghz overclocked, which they are clock for clock faster than anything AMD currently has.

Last I read on AMD's quad core it was a bit deciving, they were introducing their 4x4 system which actually used two dual core cpu's in seperate sockets. Which is basically just a server solution.

Here is some real power, dual quad core Kentsfields.

Dual Kentsfield

posted on Aug, 15 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carrion

Last I read on AMD's quad core it was a bit deciving, they were introducing their 4x4 system which actually used two dual core cpu's in seperate sockets. Which is basically just a server solution.

So thats how there doing it, interesting. Still it will be good to find out how well the preform. Weather they are two dual cores or not.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
they should be able to get 5 gig out of a quad core, my latest rig is based on a x6800 cpu and i've already seen them clocked to 5.2 gig admitadly(sp) with liqued nitrogen cooling
link

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
they should be able to get 5 gig out of a quad core, my latest rig is based on a x6800 cpu and i've already seen them clocked to 5.2 gig admitadly(sp) with liqued nitrogen cooling

Solidshot
I am very glad you are getting 5.2 out of your set up. Some day I hope we can all get that much speed out of our systems. But hear is another thred and link about how much speed people are getting out of there chips.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
yes but wouldnt it be nice if everything else went super fast to keep up with the processor. no matter how fast the processor goes it is still going to be limited to everything it interacts with unless you are crunching big numbers 5.2 ghz isnt going make but what maybe 3-4 second faster load time on some programs, if the hard drive isnt spinning at 50,000 rpm's it is going to be a long time before photoshop loads up at the click of the button. i tend not to bother buying the biggest fastest processor and lean towards getting the fastest ram, harddrive, and best motherboards.

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
All very good points MadMachinest.
I also hope that everything that interacts with the cpu will also evalve to be fast enugh to keep up the latest and greatest cpus.

new topics

top topics

join