It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(submission) Alaskan Pipeline May Close For Months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
BP announced its oil line in Alaska may have to be shut down for 2 - 3 months due to corrosion. BP is the nations biggest source of crude oil which delivers about 400.000 barrels. Even after repairs BP says they expect 5 to 10% volume loss.

news.yahoo.com
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - BP said Monday it discovered corrosion so severe that it will have to replace 16 miles of pipeline at the huge Prudhoe Bay oil field — work that could shut down the nation's single biggest source of domestic crude for months and drive gasoline prices even higher.

BP PLC said it will have to replace most of the 22 miles of so-called transit pipeline at Prudhoe Bay, which produces about 2.6 percent of the nation's daily supply including imports, or about 400,000 barrels a day.

"We estimate it could take between 2-3 months to get it back on line," Bruce Lanni, an industry analyst with A.G. Edwards, wrote in a research note. "However, there are no assurances that it will return to current capacity, given the complexities and age of the reservoirs. Thus, we would not be surprised to see volume losses in the area of 5 percent to 10 percent."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This company made "7.3 million dollars in profit the last recent quarter", and then, they said, "they were surprised to find the extent of the corrosion and went for 14 years without using a device (the pig)that would have let them know where the corrosion was? What, they didn't have enough money to use this device?

This is our countries oil, they lease the land from the government to supply the country with oil, then they slack off on maintenance, (after making at least the last recent quarter, 7.3 billion dollars in profit), and the pipeline has to be shut down, and the prices go up (for oil/gas).

I think somehow they should be punished for their lax in "maintenance"(read, being too cheap) and causing gas prices to go up in the U.S.

[edit on 7/8/06 by Keyhole]

[edit on 7/8/06 by Keyhole]

[edit on 7/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
OH BOY good thing I ride a Honda Helix 250cc scooter
! The other day I was filling up my (3.2 gal.) gass tank and next to me was a suburban SUV. We went in to pay and his bill was $65. I commented that it was a concidence. He asked me why. And I replied that I got 65 mpg and he got $65 a tank full.
He was not amused. Too bad, that what you get when you let your ego do your buying.

Ain't nothin dumber than a hummer.

Ahh for the good old days when a hummer was something your girlfriend gave you, not a way overpriced ego booster.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Wow thats bad... Its hit a £1 a litre here in UK which I havnt ever seen that high before! But then, I got a 10 litre tank on my CBR125, Ive done 90 miles and still have 1/3 petrol left hehe. Huzzah for high milage!

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
We have a Ford, Suv excursion. The largest SUV in existence. The only reason we have it is because we do a lot of traveling and our large family needs a lot of room. Anyway, it costs us $160 to fill up a tank full of gas. Most of the time, it sits in the driveway until we need to pick up a grill or travel to NY or something like that. The other vehicle we have is a mitsubeshi. It is nice with heated seats and a sun roof. It also doesn't cost that much on gas gladly.

top topics

join