It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$10M Prize for Hydrogen Fuel Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
For some time I have been saying that Hydrogen is coming to fuel America and that the Government really DOES support this.

Now I have the PROOF, with an added BONUS for those thinkers out there not afraid to take the leap...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Scientists, inventors and entrepreneurs will be able to vie for a grand prize of $10 million, and smaller prizes reaching millions of dollars, under House-passed legislation to encourage research into hydrogen as an alternative fuel.

Legislation creating the "H-Prize,'' modeled after the privately funded Ansari X Prize that resulted last year in the first privately developed manned rocket to reach space twice, passed the House Wednesday on a 416-6 vote. A companion bill is to be introduced in the Senate this week.

"This is an opportunity for a triple play,'' said bill sponsor Rep. Bob Inglis, R-S.C., citing benefits to national security from reduced dependence on foreign oil, cleaner air from burning pollution-free hydrogen and new jobs. "If we can reinvent the car, imagine the jobs we can create.''

"Perhaps the greatest role that the H-Prize may serve is in spurring the imagination of our most valuable resource, our youth,'' said co-sponsor Rep. Dan Lipinski, D-Ill.

The measure would award four prizes of up to $1 million every other year for technological advances in hydrogen production, storage, distribution and utilization. One prize of up to $4 million would be awarded every second year for the creation of a working hydrogen vehicle prototype.

The grand prize, to be awarded within the next 10 years, would go for breakthrough technology.

SOURCE HYDROGEN FUEL TECH WANTED

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
$10 million is nothing. If it were $100 million, now that would be something.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
10million is a good chunk of change.

I'm glad to see stuff like this being done.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Ha! That was a joke, right?
How many people make 10 mil in a lifetime?

That would keep me, my kids, and great grandkids going for a long time.

Going back out to the garage to get back to work.....

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   

posted by nogirt

Or maybe $1 billion, tax fee? So far, I believe we have been able to get fusion power in the microsecond range, and equal to less than 1% of the power to make the Tokamak run. This after 30 years. Not a good sign. The secret of the Sun - fusion - may remain beyond our reach. We’d be better served if we stopped making 155 mph Porsche SUVs and those of like ilk.

Congress is up to its old tricks, flem-flaming the public as November 7 approaches.

Then it's back to business as usual. Cost over-runs. Lobbyist paid trips. Revolving door "consultant" jobs. Ahh, it's the luxo life!

[edit on 8/7/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
10 Million is nothing ?
Lay off the pipe dude.

posted on Aug, 7 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Does anyone remember how much the X-Prize was worth?
A 10 Million dollar prize will ensure that the contestants who are serious at winning will spend at least 3-5 times the prize amount. Remember, with these prizes, prestige is the primary motivation, not money.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I'm nearing completion of my hydrogen project, I think I have about 30.00 into it.
If it doesn't work I scrapping it and would barely miss the money put into it.
If it does work...... haven't thought much about that yet.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   
$10 million sometime over the next ten years? In the next ten years, Exxon will have spent over $10 billion in research, at least, of which over $5 billion will be non-exploration research. $10 million is a drop in the bucket compared to $5 billion.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
In the past I recall the US patent office has been refuseing all patents on Hydrogen technology. So I am gald to see this happen. I think it is good to have a substanchal prize. As to how much good it will do I dont know. I do think it is more importand to find out what will happen with the technology presented for the prize.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   

posted by nogirt

$10 million sometime over the next ten years? In the next ten years, Exxon will have spent over $10 billion in research of which over $5 billion will be non-exploration research. $10 million is a drop in the bucket compared to $5 billion.

It's just a way to get the public off their collective backs until after November 7. What makes me angry is they show so little regard for our level of intelligence. It is as fi all the brains reside inside the beltway, and we on the outside of the beltway are morons. As the Mafia types say, “they show us no respect.”

I come from Louisville. In 2000, our Congressperson who sits on the Appropriations Committee, earmarked $15 million to finish our $20 million gorilla exhibit at the city’s zoo.

What else is there to say? We are being bamboozled.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
BMW must have collected the prize then.
They already have Hydrogen cars:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nogirt

That the Ticket!

Thats the kind of thinking that puts China in #1 spot in science research compared to our #23

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beer_Guy
I'm nearing completion of my hydrogen project, I think I have about 30.00 into it.
If it doesn't work I scrapping it and would barely miss the money put into it.
If it does work...... haven't thought much about that yet.

Keep at it... they have yearly 1 million prizes

And the X prize resulted in Space Ship one planning flights as early as 2008 from a 200 millon dollar space port New Mexico is building

Virgin Galactic

top topics

join