It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott Israeli Goods? What Goods?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Ahah! So it's true! Those tasty bananas were from Israel. To bad they're no more. Oh well, I should be supporting my local agriculture industry anyways.

Most of them will have a little sticker on them saying product of Israel. I used to always buy boxes of their oranges.

Im hoping they try to at least correct some of their wrongs so I can go back to buying them. They were good.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Intrepid,

OMG! on Miss World 98.
Is there just the one? Or is this a factory produced product?
Because I'd order one online, you know, to show my support and all..

Again, good one! I'm off to bed now before my head hurts.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Just trying to faces on this issue. Many here have forgotten we are talking about people, not numbers. Both sides.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Just trying to faces on this issue. Many here have forgotten we are talking about people, not numbers. Both sides.

Well I don't know about you, but being of Middle Eastern descent its always been about people. You are right some have forgotten, some even choose to ignore it or see it in a light as though it didn't exist or that its even justified. The numbers are what enable things like this to happen. The numbers which are spiraling into the Billions need to come down a lot.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
They also make very nice skin care products and rosaries. I just purchased some for Christmas presents good value at decent prices.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Gools, great zinger my friend
I wish I could WATS that, it cracked me up.

I suppose the Boycott Israel idea is a practical way average joes such as ourselves can express our anger at their actions. What other alternative do average people have for peaceful expressions of anger? We cant exactly vote the Israeli government out and im damned if I am going to express my anger violently.

A financial boycott should be an encouraged form of expression, not made illegal which is the preposterous case in the United States.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
A financial boycott should be an encouraged form of expression, not made illegal which is the preposterous case in the United States.

I can't see how it would be illegal. If they are using my money to buy weapons and then turn those weapons onto my relatives living in Lebanon and destroy their homes..I'll be damned if Im gonna givem the funds to do it with. While maybe the USA is supporting them does not mean I have to give them a portion of my taxes involuntarily AND my business as well.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It is the US law thepieman, it is illegal to boycott Israel. It is also illegal in the United Staets to fail to report to the authourites if you have been asked to join in a boycott of Israel. The same applies to any boycotts not sanctioned by the US government.

The land of the free indeed. Here is a thread on ATS that covers the illegality of boycotting Israel in the United States:

ATS: Illegal to boycott Israel?

From the US Bureau of Industry and Security website:

Commerce Official Urges Compliance with U.S. Regulations Opposing Boycott of Israel

Commerce Under Secretary for Industry and Security Kenneth I. Juster today again reminded U.S. companies of the need to comply with laws and regulations prohibiting U.S. persons from taking actions in support of foreign government boycotts against Israel. Juster's comments were in response to recent statements made by certain members of the Arab League's Boycott Office to reactivate the ban on trade with Israel.

"The U.S. Government is strongly opposed to restrictive trade practices or boycotts targeted at Israel," Juster said. "The Commerce Department is closely monitoring efforts that appear to be made to reinvigorate the Arab boycott of Israel and will use all of its resources to vigorously enforce U.S. antiboycott regulations."

The Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) administers U.S. antiboycott regulations, which prohibit U.S. persons from taking actions in support of unsanctioned foreign government boycotts, including the Arab League boycott of Israel. BIS has a long record of aggressive enforcement of the antiboycott regulations, with over $26 million in civil penalties imposed and denials of export privileges where violations have been found.

But remember it's the terrorists who hate your freedoms. It's the government who are going to protect them for you

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by timeless test
Well, simply as a matter of record, I have been boycotting Israeli goods for many years. I'm not pretending it changes the world but it sure makes me feel better.

Just as I would not buy South African wines during the years of apartheid (and they make a fine bottle of Pinotage which I can allow myself to enjoy now), today I will not buy several types of potatoes and various fruits I find in my local supermarket, nor will I buy certain electrical components or textile products.

My wife routinely tells me I'm an idiot but that's normal anyway. Hope this helps in some small way.

[edit on 5-8-2006 by timeless test]

do you boycott iranian oil too?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Here's one export that would be hard to boycott, Miss World 1998 Linor Abargil:

Yes, I agree, we shoudn't be too hasty in our politics. An exception can always be made.

They also export some of the most serious students in the world.

It's amazing how much they have been able to produce in that little fingernail clipping of a desert country.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Funny that boycotting Israeli products meets resistance, when a lot of those who'd be pro-israeli goods and vice versa (lawlz) were all BOYCOTT THE FRENCH!!!!

MMMM FREEDUMB FRIES!!!!!!!!

/pours some french wine out for his uhhh "le homies"

I cant even think of anything I've ever bought that's come from Israel soooo... yeah.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Rina Messinger, Miss Universe 1976, from Israel:

On the other side, Miss Universe 1971, Georgia Risk, Lebanon.

Sorry, no pick available.

We're talking about REAL people here folks. Let's not forget that please.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Some points
Motorola Labs Israel - the cell phone invention
Intel Israel - Dothan series and all other portable pc chip series
Microsoft Israel - Windows NT
the list continues...but if you have some elecronic equipment or software program, have something to do with biomedical and pharmaceutical industries...than you support Israel,because they are there...
I'm pretty sure in Iran they boycott Einstein in their way to build a "peaceful" nuclear energy in their underground military bases (and that's according to NPT is not their right at all)...
You may even try to boycott the inventions of the jews as a whole...I'll not give here the list of the Nobel Prize winners...it will be a cliche...
I thought to myself what the rest of the Middle East and North Africa produce except for oil,that I can boycott,as an Israel supporter...what artist,inventors,sportsmen or other famous people (except Bin Laden and Zarkawi R.I.H.) in the last 50 years came from there...Help me with this one,please...

Oh...I remember Paula Abdul...

[edit on 5-8-2006 by ZMax]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZMax
I thought to myself what the rest of the Middle East and North Africa produce except for oil,that I can boycott,as an Israel supporter...

How about the basis for every modern science we now use? Do you forget that the Arabs were the ones that gave us our very numeric system and not to mention the "zero". How about the fields of optics? How about preserving every peice of Ancient Greek learning whilst the rest of Europe was burning books and living in the Dark Ages?

Then there is sugar and civilisation itself, remember that craddle of civilisation was Mesopotamia (present day Iraq). What about the basis for all modern laws, Hammurabi's Code?

If you're going to be condescending atleast give it some thought next time.

[edit on 5/8/06 by subz]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I found some more of the goods and supplyers that US support.

This are some names of the good that US supports from the Israelis.

1.Delta Galil clothes manufacturers, the biggest supplier for Marks and Spencers, which also supply Calvin Klein, Gap, DKNY, and Hugo Boss.

2.Jaffa oranges

3.Carmel (Agrexco, Ltd.) suppliers of dates, avocados, citrus fruits, salad vegetables, herbs and wines.

4.Caterpillar, the corporation

5.Danone (which trades in Israel under the name Strauss Dairy) bottled water, biscuits and food.

6.Israel is the largest research and development site for Microsoft Corporation outside of America

7. Electronics parts and components.

I wish I can post a link but Is imposible because it can be view as anti Israeli and offensive to some.

[edit on 5-8-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
You can look here to see many things made there:

[link] www.whiteplainsforisrael.org...

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

I thought to myself what the rest of the Middle East and North Africa produce except for oil,that I can boycott,as an Israel supporter...

How about the basis for every modern science we now use? Do you forget that the Arabs were the ones that gave us our very numeric system and not to mention the "zero". How about the fields of optics? How about preserving every peice of Ancient Greek learning whilst the rest of Europe was burning books and living in the Dark Ages?

Then there is sugar and civilisation itself, remember that craddle of civilisation was Mesopotamia (present day Iraq). What about the basis for all modern laws, Hammurabi's Code?

If you're going to be condescending atleast give it some thought next time.

[edit on 5/8/06 by subz]

I know about the algebra and the maths as a whole,the medicine...but I said in the last 50 years...

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I know about the algebra and the maths as a whole,the medicine...but I said in the last 50 years...

Eh? And that defines the arbitrary nature of your point. Why the last 50 years? Didnt Einstein come up with his theories before the 1920's? Why did you add him in your list? He wasnt even Israeli any way. Wasnt he offered the Prime Ministership of Israel but turned it down?

Without the scientific and philosophical basis provided, and protected, by Arabs over the millennia every thing you listed would of been impossible. Dont forget that when you try to patronize an entire peoples.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Let's not get this blown out of proportions. They did invent the zero and algebra, but their most important role was preserving the wisdom of the greek culture (they are the ones that invented medicine, math, philosophy, engineering etc'). Later they passed it back to the european culture. The Islamic culture expanded some of this knowledge, true, but they didn't create such a fundamental knowledge base. Modern science is based on western thought.

Not only that, but the Islamic culture was very different at that time. Generally they were very liberal and tolerant. Not at all the kind of fanaticism we see today. Even though today's muslims praise that time, they are not willing to practice the associated behaviour, or accept the same ideas.

Edit - the numeric system was invented by the Indian people. The greatest influence and introduction of a code of laws was surely the jewish bible. Even Islam don't claim to draw it's laws from Hammurabi's Code.

[edit on 6-8-2006 by Parmenides]

[edit on 6-8-2006 by Parmenides]

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Oh wow it's illegal to boycott Israeli good in the US? As you say truly 'the land of the free'

Personally I've always boycotted Isaeli fruit & produce, but I also boycott Norwegian products and Japanese products if at all possible, due to their stance on whaling, Shell due to human rights abuses, and McDonalds & Starbuck's because their products are horrible!

No wonder the shopping takes so long!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join