It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden was 2 hours from a disaster worse than Chernobyl

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Sweden's primeminister (at the time of the incident), Göran Persson, has been called "a hero" by a german newspaper. They claim he prevented a meltdown at Forsmark nuclear power plant by authorizing the use of a so-called "Wallmann valve". However, Göran Persson says he didn't do anything at all and that the german newspaper is dead wrong about this. Also, the Forsmark NPP doesn't even have any "Wallmann valve"...

Persson denies nuclear heroics

20th November 2006

Former prime minister Göran Persson was left dumbfounded yesterday by a report in a German newspaper. Welt am Sonntag claimed that Persson’s timely intervention helped prevent a catastrophe at the Forsmark nuclear power plant during the summer. Yesterday’s article explained to German readers that Persson gave permission to Vattenfall, which owns the facility, to open the ‘Wallmann valve’. Such a device is part of a pressure relief system found in many nuclear reactors to prevent explosion in the case of nuclear meltdown.

The Swedish Nuclear Power Inspectorate also describes the German newspaper’s reports as “completely false” and verifies Andersson’s assertion that Forsmark does not have a ‘Wallmann valve’.

One explanation for the error is a simple case of mistaken identity. There is a production manager at Forsmark 2 who also goes by the name of Göran Persson. The non-prime ministerial Persson’s name came up in at least one report in connection with safety problems during the summer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Seems like more than just mistaken identity here. The story is completely false...

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Today's news from Sweden. The staff at Forsmark Nuclear Power Plant was drunk...

Swedish nuclear plant slated for poor safety

29th January 2007

The Forsmark nuclear power station has blotted its copybook by means of insufficient safety precautions, staff working under the influence of alcohol and incidents that are described as "potentially fatal" in a new internal report.

The report was written in October of last year but has been kept secret until now, SVT's news programme Aktuellt reports.

The new revelations, described by SVT as "explosive", are to be broadcast on Monday evening's show.

They also had 68 near-accidents last year at Forsmark...

Related ATS Threads:
Explosion Shuts Down Nuclear Reactor In Sweden

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Last night they shut down Forsmark 1 for security reasons. And today they shut down Forsmark 2 as well. At the moment, four of Sweden's ten nuclear reactors are shut down for security reasons. They don't know when they can start them up again.

Swedish nuclear reactor shut down

3rd February 2007

Reactor 1 at the Forsmark nuclear power plant on Sweden's east coast was shut down overnight, after faults were discovered in a security system.

Second Forsmark reactor shut down

3rd February 2007

Later on Saturday initial tests on Forsmark 1's sister reactor, Forsmark 2, also led to its shutdown for similar analysis.

"We will do the same work on Forsmark 2 as we are doing on Forsmark 1," Andersson said.

It was not known when either of the reactors would resume power production, he added.

Other Sources:
Sweden shuts down 40% of nuke reactors
Problem-prone Swedish nuclear reactor shut down
Problem-prone Swedish nuclear reactor shut down
Swedish reactor shuts down due to security system problem
Faults shut down Swedish nuclear reactor

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Shut down because of security reasons? What kind of security issues are present?

And would this might have anything to do with the (russian?)spy that was caught a while back? Didn't he have some nuclear facilities connection? Or do I have my espionage mixed up?

Regards-
Aimless

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aimless Searcher

And would this might have anything to do with the (russian?)spy that was caught a while back?

That was a different story. I started a thread about it last year. The Russian "spy" was eventually released, and it was never proven that he did anything wrong. I believe he also sued them afterwards. The thread is about bird flu in Sweden, the Russian "spy" and another Swedish nuclear reactor.

Here it is: Nuclear Power Plant In Sweden Sealed Off - Bird Flu Confirmed.

Btw, there's an interview in Swedish media today (the article in the link is in swedish). A guy also mentioned earlier in this thread who used to be a security expert at Forsmark (and was also involved in the construction of the plant). He says he believe we have not been told the full story about this recent shutdown. He says it must actually be a "very serious fault" and not a "small error found in during a routine check" as they claim. He also says that the current staff is not competent.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well, it's somewhat reassuring to find that while I had my episodes mixed up, at least I remembered something about nuclear facilities being shut down in connection with this guy.

As for the latest, being a larger threat than what you've been told, well, that's just scary.

Regards-
Aimless

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Forsmark reactor 2 has been barred from restarting and an inspection of reactor 3 has been ordered.

Forsmark reactor barred from restarting

14th February 2007

The Swedish Nuclear Power Inspectorate has denied permission for reactor 2 at the Forsmark nuclear power station to restart, and has ordered an inspection of reactor 3 at the same plant.

The decision to keep Forsmark 2 shut down will stay in force until the plant's operators, Forsmarks Kärnkraftsgrupp, have evaluated information from tests taken from the reactor.

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The Swedish government has asked the IAEA to inspect the Forsmark Nuclear Power Plant. A reactor at Ringhals Nuclear power plant was shut down because of a "small leak". And (not mentioned in this article) some "small amounts" of radioactivity has also been detected in places where there should be no radioactivity at Oskarshamn Nuclear power plant...

IAEA asked to inspect Swedish nuclear plant

16th February 2007

The Swedish government has asked the UN's nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), to inspect its Forsmark nuclear power plant after a series of incidents that have raised concerns about atomic safety in the country.

Forsmark managing director Lars Fagerberg resigned last week in light of the recent safety concerns.

Separately, a nuclear reactor at the Ringhals nuclear plant south of Gothenburg has been closed today while officials investigate a small leak.

It is not yet known how long the reactor will be out of service.

"This is nothing serious," said Lars Eliasson, head of production at Ringhals.

But nuclear power is perfectly safe and there's nothing to worry about...

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Are you Norwegien Helmutt?
And this is getting more and more hilarious by the post..

Maybe the Russian double agent killed in London died from Polonium 290 procured and Forsmark?

Btw here's another irony:

The First international detection of Chernobyl radiation leaks was at a Swedish nuclear facility when one of the technicians there repeatedly failed one of the 'clean-room' radiation check tests even after he had undergone decontamination procedures several times during that check!
Initially nobody figured that the Radiation was coming from 'outside' rather than inside the plant!

P.S: Love the Homer Simpson Analogy!

[edit on 18-2-2007 by Daedalus3]

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Yup, I'm Norwegian

You're right, the radioactivity from Chernobyl was first detected at Forsmark, if I remember correctly.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Jeg kann ikke snakke Norsk!!

Takk!!

I've spent quite a bit of time in Oslo..
Are you in Norway? Where?
Beautiful country you have there!

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3

Jeg kann ikke snakke Norsk!!

Takk!!

Almost perfect. kan instead of kann, but it is pronounced as kann

Are you in Norway? Where?

Nope, I'm not in Norway. I'll rather not tell the world exactly where I am...

Beautiful country you have there!

Indeed

And the topic is:
Swedish nuclear power plants and all their problems

Btw, I've heard that IAEA are going to inspect all of Sweden's nuclear power plants. Now there are problems reported at all of them.

[edit on 2007/2/18 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:02 AM
link   
There was another accident at Oskarshamn nuclear power plant today. 1,000 litres of radioactive water spilled over from a tank and ended up in the wrong place. They don't know why the tank spilled over. They say this will be difficult to clean up, not impossible but difficult...

In Swedish:

Aftonbladet: Nytt utsläpp av radioaktivt vatten på Oskarshamn

Dagens Nyheter: Nytt utsläpp av radioaktivt vatten i Oskarshamn

tv4.se: Nytt utsläpp av radioaktivt vatten på Oskarshamn

In Danish:

Article from two days ago :

Direkte atom-hotline mellem Sverige og Danmark ("Nuclear hotline between Sweden and Denmark")

In this danish article, they say Sweden promises that Denmark will receive notice immediately whenever there are any problems at any Swedish nuclear power plants. I have however not been able to find anything yet in Danish media, regarding today's incident at Oskarshamn...

[edit on 2007/2/22 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Radioactivity has been found at Forsmark in places where it should not be. This prompted an investigation in which they found an ashtray in the restricted zone.

Cigarettes found in nuclear plant restricted zone

26th February 2007

An investigation has been started at Sweden's Forsmark nuclear power station after an ashtray was found in a storage area in the restricted section of the plant.

The latest find follows the discovery last week of four radioactive particles in a corridor outside the restricted area, which is supposed to be free of radioactivity.

"This was not good - we should have such good routines that radioactivity is not spread within the facility," said Forsmark's new managing director Jan Edberg.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
This sounds to me like this "Nuclear technitian" simply wasnt given what he wanted under what could have been union rules, and spouted anything he could to degrade the nuclear program as a whole... essentially an attention grabber.

Their nuclear reactors operate with much better safeguards than even US reactors use. So it's highly doubtful they could ever reach a critical state.

Essentially, pay no attention to this. It's a load of doomsayers feeding off of a single persons views, whom probably has his own reasons for attacking the nuclear power plant himself.

If anything the US nuclear power plants have much more of a chance of a meltdown than theirs do.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This isn't about a "single person's views". They know that media in Denmark, Norway and Sweden (and elsewhere too) are watching them very closely now. But they still can't prevent incidents like these from happening every other day. Incredible... :shk: Sweden has currently three nuclear power plants, 10 reactors, and it seems like they have no control over them. I think somebody should start making a thorium plant. Sooner the better...

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
But nuclear power is perfectly safe and there's nothing to worry about...

But it is...nuclear power if looked after safely is one of the safest and most economical forms of power out there, if you dont believe me then read a bit about nuclear power. IMO super tankers and gas tankers are more dangerous than nucelar reactors, I mean if say one of the VLCC's or a gas carrier went up in a port then there would be massive damage. If one of those carriers went up in say a refinery do you really think they would be able to contain the blaze if it went along the lines?

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Forsmark is in the news again. SSI has ordered a halt of all nuclear waste deliveries to the site. It turns out that some of the security at Forsmark has been removed in order to "save money"!

Safety worries over Forsmark nuclear waste

30th May 2007

The Swedish Radiation Protection Authority (Statens strålskyddsinstitut - SSI) has ordered the cessation of all deposition of nuclear waste at the Forsmark final storage facility. According to SSI, the company in charge of the deposition - Svensk Kärnbränslehantering - has failed to meet radiation protection requirements.

[---]

SKB has been ordered to suspend all depositions from June 21st.

Other sources:
The Washington Times: Swedish nuclear waste site draws concern
Planet Ark: Sweden Halts Nuclear Waste Storage at Forsmark
United Press International: Swedish nuclear waste site draws concern
Earthtimes.org: Swedish nuclear waste site draws concern

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The IAEA visits Forsmark nuclear power plant for inspections today.

At Oskarshamn nuclear power plant they are installing alco-locks at the gates. The workers will have to be tested negative for alcohol every day when they get to work, otherwise they won't get access to the facility.

Averiges Radio: IAEA besöker Forsmark (in swedish...)

Aftonbladet: Alkolås ska stoppa fyllan på Oskarshamns kärnkraftverk (in swedish...)
NRK: Alkolås ved svensk atomkraftverk (in norwegian...)

Hopefully, this will make it safer...

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
If you ask me, the whole ordeal has an air of "bogus" about it.

A: Reactors cannot start themselves. The idea that 'by pure luck' the other two reactors started up, means that whoever wrote that, not only does not understand how nuclear reactors work, they also have no problem in lying bold faced to everyone they meet.

B: Making sure they're not drunk?!
HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INSIDE A NUCLEAR FACILITY?! Obviously no-one who has not objected yet has not objected to this point. I don't care what country you are from, THE FAILSAFES ARE AUTOMATED... when was the last time you saw a computer get drunk?

This is a load of crap. I cannot believe that people are falling so easily face first into this pile of manure.

Oh well, if you seriously want to believe that the reactors around the world are actually running with minimal safeties in line, thats fine. I'll have no problem laughing at you whilst you're holding your doomsday billboard on the street corner.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join