It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double standards with Israel and the U.N.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
People on this board recently have claimed that the killing of innocent civilians in lebanon is justified because they did not pressure the lebanese government into fully compling with resolution 1559.

Now lets see how Israel has dealt with U.N. resolutions in the past.

* Resolution 106: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for Gaza raid".
* Resolution 111: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for raid on Syria that killed fifty-six people".
* Resolution 127: " . . . 'recommends' Israel suspends it's 'no-man's zone' in Jerusalem".
* Resolution 162: " . . . 'urges' Israel to comply with UN decisions".
* Resolution 171: " . . . determines flagrant violations' by Israel in its attack on Syria".
* Resolution 228: " . . . 'censures' Israel for its attack on Samu in the West Bank, then under Jordanian control".
* Resolution 237: " . . . 'urges' Israel to allow return of new 1967 Palestinian refugees".
* Resolution 248: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for its massive attack on Karameh in Jordan".
* Resolution 250: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to refrain from holding military parade in Jerusalem".
Resolution 251: " . . . 'deeply deplores' Israeli military parade in Jerusalem in defiance of Resolution 250".
* Resolution 252: " . . . 'declares invalid' Israel's acts to unify Jerusalem as Jewish capital".
* Resolution 256: " . . . 'condemns' Israeli raids on Jordan as 'flagrant violation".
* Resolution 259: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's refusal to accept UN mission to probe occupation".
* Resolution 262: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for attack on Beirut airport".
* Resolution 265: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for air attacks for Salt in Jordan".
* Resolution 267: " . . . 'censures' Israel for administrative acts to change the status of Jerusalem".
*Resolution 270: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for air attacks on villages in southern Lebanon".
* Resolution 271: " . . . 'condemns' Israel's failure to obey UN resolutions on Jerusalem".
* Resolution 279: " . . . 'demands' withdrawal of Israeli forces from Lebanon".
* Resolution 280: " . . . 'condemns' Israeli's attacks against Lebanon".
* Resolution 285: " . . . 'demands' immediate Israeli withdrawal form Lebanon".
* Resolution 298: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's changing of the status of Jerusalem".
* Resolution 313: " . . . 'demands' that Israel stop attacks against Lebanon".
* Resolution 316: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for repeated attacks on Lebanon".
* Resolution 317: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's refusal to release Arabs abducted in Lebanon".
* Resolution 332: " . . . 'condemns' Israel's repeated attacks against Lebanon".
* Resolution 337: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for violating Lebanon's sovereignty".
* Resolution 347: " . . . 'condemns' Israeli attacks on Lebanon".
* Resolution 425: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to withdraw its forces from Lebanon".
* Resolution 427: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to complete its withdrawal from Lebanon.
* Resolution 444: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's lack of cooperation with UN peacekeeping forces".
* Resolution 446: " . . . 'determines' that Israeli settlements are a 'serious
obstruction' to peace and calls on Israel to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention".
* Resolution 450: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to stop attacking Lebanon".
* Resolution 452: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to cease building settlements in occupied territories".
* Resolution 465: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's settlements and asks all member
states not to assist Israel's settlements program".
* Resolution 467: " . . . 'strongly deplores' Israel's military intervention in Lebanon".
* Resolution 468: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to rescind illegal expulsions of
two Palestinian mayors and a judge and to facilitate their return".
* Resolution 469: " . . . 'strongly deplores' Israel's failure to observe the
council's order not to deport Palestinians".
* Resolution 471: " . . . 'expresses deep concern' at Israel's failure to abide
by the Fourth Geneva Convention".

* Resolution 476: " . . . 'reiterates' that Israel's claim to Jerusalem are 'null and void'".
* Resolution 478: " . . . 'censures (Israel) in the strongest terms' for its
claim to Jerusalem in its 'Basic Law'".
* Resolution 484: " . . . 'declares it imperative' that Israel re-admit two deported
Palestinian mayors".
* Resolution 487: " . . . 'strongly condemns' Israel for its attack on Iraq's
nuclear facility".
* Resolution 497: " . . . 'decides' that Israel's annexation of Syria's Golan
Heights is 'null and void' and demands that Israel rescinds its decision forthwith".
* Resolution 498: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to withdraw from Lebanon".
* Resolution 501: " . . . 'calls' on Israel to stop attacks against Lebanon and withdraw its troops".
* Resolution 509: " . . . 'demands' that Israel withdraw its forces forthwith and unconditionally from Lebanon".
* Resolution 515: " . . . 'demands' that Israel lift its siege of Beirut and
allow food supplies to be brought in".
* Resolution 517: " . . . 'censures' Israel for failing to obey UN resolutions
and demands that Israel withdraw its forces from Lebanon".

* Resolution 518: " . . . 'demands' that Israel cooperate fully with UN forces in Lebanon".
* Resolution 520: " . . . 'condemns' Israel's attack into West Beirut".
* Resolution 573: " . . . 'condemns' Israel 'vigorously' for bombing Tunisia
in attack on PLO headquarters.
* Resolution 587: " . . . 'takes note' of previous calls on Israel to withdraw
its forces from Lebanon and urges all parties to withdraw".

* Resolution 592: " . . . 'strongly deplores' the killing of Palestinian students
at Bir Zeit University by Israeli troops".
* Resolution 605: " . . . 'strongly deplores' Israel's policies and practices
denying the human rights of Palestinians.
* Resolution 607: " . . . 'calls' on Israel not to deport Palestinians and strongly
requests it to abide by the Fourth Geneva Convention.
* Resolution 608: " . . . 'deeply regrets' that Israel has defied the United Nations and deported Palestinian civilians".
* Resolution 636: " . . . 'deeply regrets' Israeli deportation of Palestinian civilians.
* Resolution 641: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's continuing deportation of Palestinians.
* Resolution 672: " . . . 'condemns' Israel for violence against Palestinians
at the Haram al-Sharif/Temple Mount.
* Resolution 673: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's refusal to cooperate with the United
Nations.

* Resolution 681: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's resumption of the deportation of
Palestinians.
* Resolution 694: " . . . 'deplores' Israel's deportation of Palestinians and
calls on it to ensure their safe and immediate return.
* Resolution 726: " . . . 'strongly condemns' Israel's deportation of Palestinians.
* Resolution 799: ". . . 'strongly condemns' Israel's deportation of 413 Palestinians
and calls for their immediate return.

Source
Source
Source

Now as shown Israel has not really cared what the U.N. had said to them in the past but yet Lebanon has to comply with everything the U.N. states. Double standards.

Sorry for the long piece of extract.

[edit on 083131p://upThursday by wang]

[edit on 103131p://upThursday by wang]

[edit on 113131p://upThursday by wang]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Also anothing example of the Israel treating the U.N. badly was shown in the incident on Octobet 1st, 2004.

On October 1, 2004, Israel again lodged accusations against UNRWA. The Israeli Defence Forces released UAV footage and video documenting what they initially claimed was a group of Palestinian militants load a rocket into UN-marked vehicle. , video (wait to the end). Hansen claimed that the footage was of UNRWA crew members carrying a stretcher into the UN ambulance, stating "While the quality of the video clip is poor, its analysis shows beyond the shadow of a doubt that the object carried and thrown into the vehicle is not / cannot be a Qassam rocket". On October 5, 2004, the Israeli military reversed its accusations and stated that the object could indeed be a stretcher, but did not offer an apology as Hansen had demanded

Source

I think this clearly shows Israeli's disdain for the U.N. and also shows to that Israeli will stoop to low attacks to try to discredit the U.N. in the middle east.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Wang I know exactly what you mean but those are all Null and void once the word Israel is placed upon one of those documents.

You should see their Human Rights violations pages. They have just as many violations as Iran! Its pretty damn pitiful seeing all these people support these criminals so rabidly and to support them even though they commit the crimes right before their eyes in front of the entire world. The people I feel sorry for most are the Christian Zionists who either don't know or are so fanatically blinded to see how The Israeli's used the Christians in 1982 to massacre hundreds of Palestinains brutally and then when the crapolla hit the fan and they were to be brought before The Hague, they dumped the whole thing on the lap of the Christians and said it was all their doing.
. They are so lost if they actually think these people will aid them in a quest for their religious beliefs.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Here is another website showing Human right violations in Palestine.
www.pchrgaza.org...

Here are some extracts

74[1] Palestinians have been killed, including 37 civilians, 23 of whom are children, and least 300 others have been injured.
2 brothers, a man and his son, an elderly man and a deaf young man are among the victims.
10 of the victims are children who were hit by artillery shells and their bodies were cut into pieces.
At least 50 houses were destroyed and dozens of other houses were damaged, and at least 300 donums[2] of agricultural land were razed.
A number of schools, a mosque, a kindergarten, a historical site, a number of civilian facilities and the civilian infrastructure were destroyed.
A tightened siege on the area and access to humanitarian services has been denied.
Many civilians were not able to participate in the funeral processions of their children who were killed by Israeli troops.

20 Palestinians, 14 of whom were civilians, including 5 children and one woman, were killed by IOF.
2 of the children were killed on the first day of Eid al-Adha.
One of the victims was extra-judicially killed by IOF.
IOF conducted a series of incursions into Palestinian areas in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

A number of Palestinian civilians, including three children, were injured by IOF.
IOF conducted 16 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank and one in the Gaza Strip.
Houses were raided and 14 Palestinian civilians were arrested by IOF in the West Bank.
IOF used a Palestinian civilian as a human shield while searching his house in al-Mughraqa village in the central Gaza Strip.

11 Palestinians, including 2 children, were killed by Israeli forces
3 of the victims killed in extra-judicial assassinations
2 failed assassination attempts carried out by Israeli forces against the founder and 2 other senior leaders of Hamas movement
Indiscriminate shelling of Palestinian residential areas continued leaving dead 2 Palestinian civilians and injuring dozens of others

Thats just a taste go to the website and see more.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
That is why I don't let propaganda influence my opinions . . .

In this world all countries are terrorist in one degree or the other . . .

All nations has committed atrocities more than onces against another nation . . .

But it seems that is a new trend of some nations raising above of other nations to dictate who are the ones allowed to be call terrorist and who is allowed to make wars.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If anything, this just shows that the UN is weak and meaningless when it comes to the very things it is supposed to address. Its simply not an effective interational political body. Its programmes for world health and addressing poverty and the like are excellent, but as far as promoting peace, its pointless.

You are right, you can't expect Lebanon to follow through on one resolution, without also expecting Isreal to follow through with others.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I do agree wth you on that Nygdan, the U.N. is useless when addressing matters of war, human violations and torture. While i believe it is needed to try to help world poverty and health i think a new international body with more powers and quicker means of decision making should be orgnznized to be able to handle with such situations in the middle east, africe, and asia.

This is the first time you have ever agreed with me. I will cheerish it

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
@wang

Great find mate,

I find it EXTREMELY ENTERTAINING when something is posted that exposes Israel's cimes, the PRO-Israeli posters like Skippy-the-point and Jewish hammer are now where to been seen

Then again its a little hard to justify a shopping list size of UN violations

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
yeah just a pitty the U.S.A. and the U.K. are the most cuplriate for given wepaons to militia an funding other terroists, actually makes me disgusted to be a UK Citezen.........

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
If anything, this just shows that the UN is weak and meaningless when it comes to the very things it is supposed to address. Its simply not an effective interational political body. Its programmes for world health and addressing poverty and the like are excellent, but as far as promoting peace, its pointless.

You are right, you can't expect Lebanon to follow through on one resolution, without also expecting Isreal to follow through with others.

Why do you think this is Nygdan? Could it be that in the past there was a Ying to the Yang, thus the UN had some strength. But now, there is NO Yang to the US' Ying? Making the surviving superpower and it's allies impervious. I see may posts here that diss the UN. WHY? Because they are dissing US policy? Could they offer any action against this? Not now BUT 30 years ago, you betcha.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
the united nations is nothing and has no power
the only thing it can do is screem untill it turns blue and hope someone will take notice.

if the people that started the united nations and started the rules cant follow the proticals i doubt any other nation would

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   

The Israel worshippers are on HUSH!!! Amazing! I guess they're currently working on a hell of an excuse for the terrorist Israelis, and they're going to need one...

But, seriously, how the hell can a country do crap like this in front of the WORLD and cry victim over and over and over and over again when someone has the nuts to call them out on it. Unbelievable...

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
So where are the pro-israeli lobby?
This thread has been sitting here for acouple of days now and not even one has placed a comment. Is their no way you can twist this into israel defending itself?

Here is a extract of the Bush and Blair conference yesterday. This is from blair:

We shouldn't forget how this began, how it started. In defiance of the U.N. Resolution 1559, Hezbollah, for almost two years

This is from bush

And if we truly want peace in the region, we've got to follow through on that 1559, and that's what the whole strategy is.

www.whitehouse.gov...

So as quoted by blair this started because of defiance of the U.N. on resolution 1559, what about all the others resolutions Israel defied?

Also to bush, if we want peace in the middle east all U.N. resolutions need to be followed through with, not just the one's that aim at arab nations.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I'll do it for them.

If UN is against Israël, they are against God's will. Israël is the god chosen country and people. Everything, no matter what, Israël does, it's god's will. If they punish infidels by killing hundreads of kids in Lebanon, it's god will.

So don't be against Israël actions, even if they kill you're family because it's god will to make you understand something, not because you're family was not the chosen people.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Wang I know exactly what you mean but those are all Null and void once the word Israel is placed upon one of those documents.

You should see their Human Rights violations pages. They have just as many violations as Iran! Its pretty damn pitiful seeing all these people support these criminals so rabidly and to support them even though they commit the crimes right before their eyes in front of the entire world. The people I feel sorry for most are the Christian Zionists who either don't know or are so fanatically blinded to see how The Israeli's used the Christians in 1982 to massacre hundreds of Palestinains brutally and then when the crapolla hit the fan and they were to be brought before The Hague, they dumped the whole thing on the lap of the Christians and said it was all their doing.
. They are so lost if they actually think these people will aid them in a quest for their religious beliefs.

Just a parenthesis to say that the lebanese christians who did those massacre in 1982 were with the israeli just because they were alone (in a civil war) against the muslims in lebanon and all the arab countries. It was the only way they can survive.
of course i do not give them excuses for what they did...
but just trying to make things looks more clear

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 06:31 AM
link   
nie job wang

i'll use your first post to put it on some israeli lobby threads. i'd like to see the reactions.
i'll say that the writer was WANG 2006 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by PARADISEVIEW
Just a parenthesis to say that the lebanese christians who did those massacre in 1982 were with the israeli just because they were alone (in a civil war) against the muslims in lebanon and all the arab countries. It was the only way they can survive.

Hi Para
Yes but still I think this was a horrible thing to happen in my ancestral countrys' history. The civil war could have been avoided by first allowing the muslims more of a role in government. Working with the Israeli's did not help Lebanon at all. It helped Israel to achieve its own goal and nothing more. What was once Beautiful when I visited there as a kid in 1982 turned into a shell and bullet ridden hell-hole. The country is basically a proving ground and artillary range for Syria and Israel as well. Wish they would all just get out and leave Lebanon to the Lebanese.
Israel, Syria and Iran. Put the Palestinians where they belong too instead of refugee camps.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN

Originally posted by PARADISEVIEW

Hi Para
Yes but still I think this was a horrible thing to happen in my ancestral countrys' history. The civil war could have been avoided by first allowing the muslims more of a role in government. Working with the Israeli's did not help Lebanon at all. It helped Israel to achieve its own goal and nothing more. What was once Beautiful when I visited there as a kid in 1982 turned into a shell and bullet ridden hell-hole. The country is basically a proving ground and artillary range for Syria and Israel as well. Wish they would all just get out and leave Lebanon to the Lebanese.
Israel, Syria and Iran. Put the Palestinians where they belong too instead of refugee camps.

i just want say

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Could they offer any action against this? Not now BUT 30 years ago

Indeed, the UN was more inluential in the past.

But the UN doesn't have the will to, say, send 100,000 peace keepers into lebanon right now and start bombing any military positions that are firing at anyone, or out-position the israeli tanks and prevent them from moving into range to fire on lebanese villages, or kick down doors in beruit and arrest hezbollah members.

As far as it beiung able to control the US, it can't even definitively say that the Iraq War was illegal, let alone mount action, political or military, against the US to do anything even it if did decide it was illegal.

That old dave chapelle sketch really sums it up, with chapelle as president, "What ya gonna do UN, sanction me? Well go ahead, use your UN Army! Oh, what, you don't have an Army!?"

Crude, but to the point. International politics is power politics, the UN has no political, economic, or military power, and is pretty meaningless because of it. Its good at food programmes and the like, and has an establishment that can serve to media disputes, but only when both sides want mediation in the first place.

So its great for stamping out disease, making sure food gets to countries in famine, but its powerless to do anything if there is any opposition in country to it.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Originally posted by intrepid
Could they offer any action against this? Not now BUT 30 years ago

Indeed, the UN was more inluential in the past.

But the UN doesn't have the will to, say, send 100,000 peace keepers into lebanon right now and start bombing any military positions that are firing at anyone, or out-position the israeli tanks and prevent them from moving into range to fire on lebanese villages, or kick down doors in beruit and arrest hezbollah members.

As far as it beiung able to control the US, it can't even definitively say that the Iraq War was illegal, let alone mount action, political or military, against the US to do anything even it if did decide it was illegal.

That old dave chapelle sketch really sums it up, with chapelle as president, "What ya gonna do UN, sanction me? Well go ahead, use your UN Army! Oh, what, you don't have an Army!?"

Crude, but to the point. International politics is power politics, the UN has no political, economic, or military power, and is pretty meaningless because of it. Its good at food programmes and the like, and has an establishment that can serve to media disputes, but only when both sides want mediation in the first place.

So its great for stamping out disease, making sure food gets to countries in famine, but its powerless to do anything if there is any opposition in country to it.

Nydgan, you are correct that the UN has no real military power anymore, and at the moment this is power politics, who has the power dominates. Interpid was right in stating since the Soviet Union has falled their is no one to keep American Imperialism in line. A new organization needs to be created thats sole purpose is military protection from agressors in all countries. Let's call it the 'world army'. Now lets say this organization came into existence today, Israel would be stopped by military pressure and if it doesnt work military action. Then hezbollah would be disarmed by pressure or force, and then intergrated into the lebanese defense force. But if a organization existed befor this situation took place, it would of simply disarmed hezbollah by pressure/force when resolution 1559 came into play and if Israel still attacked, it would defend lebanon untill their last drop of blood.
The problem with this organization like anyother is corruption, if this organization took up a certain idealology to back it could be devastating, the organization needs to be completely un-biased, and completely defensive. (Pre-emptive strikes to me are not defensive)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join