It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UNIFIL Choosing Sides in the War?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I was browsing the news items surrounding 1981Psycho's Post regarding the Israeli airstrike on the UNIFIL outpost. After digging around a bit, I think the reasons for the strike might be more complicated than "oops."

United Nations Press Release Dated July 25, 2006

UNIFIL is still facing serious restrictions in its freedom of movement due to the ongoing hostilities and the extensive destruction of roads and bridges throughout the area of operation. Yesterday, a UNIFIL engineering contingent from China managed to do some repairs on a key road artery between Tyre and Naqoura, and the road is now usable for traffic. However, more road destruction was reported in various areas in the south.

Can someone explain what the heck Chinese Peacekeepers are doing? What the heck are Chinese engineer's doing rebuilding roads in Southern Lebanon, Hezbollah area btw, that are under siege by Israel?

I think technically, Kofi Anon is right, Israel intentionally bombed the UN post. Israel uses precision weapons, if someone on the ground paints that place as a target, the bomb will hit it.

That doesn't mean Israel was trying to kill UN people, but I can certainly see how it could get confusing if the UN is helping Hezbollah by building roads Israel is trying to keep shut down as part of their entrapment strategy.

If Hezbollah is getting military assistance from the UN, which is exactly what the UNIFIL engineering contingent from China appears to be doing if they are rebuilding roads during a war, then the UN is a legitimate target, and nations need to get their troops the heck out of there before the UN gets them killed.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I can't give you an answer to the Chinese engineer question, but I can say that this isn't the first time that Israel has desired the U.N. to be blind in its back yard.

You may recall the attack on a U.S. intelligence-gathering vessel during the '73 conflict that was accidentally no accident. The Israelis understand that if they want a free hand, they need to keep the international community from getting a clear picture of their situation.

As a practical matter, the Israelis might be thinking that somebody in UNIFIL may be phoning intell back to somebody that may pass it on to Syria or Hezbollah.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Last time I checked repairing civilian infratsructure was perfectly legal, purposely destroying it not.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666
Last time I checked repairing civilian infratsructure was perfectly legal, purposely destroying it not.

Apparently you never checked at all. Roads and other infrastructure are legal targets in war. Civilians are legal targets too.

Repairing roads in southern Lebanon during a time of war could be considered an act of war against Israel according to the laws that govern war, and bombing UN engineer's doing roadwork would be legal.

What the heck is the UN doing playing with the lives of peacekeepers like that?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
So civilians and civilian infrastructure are legitimate targets?

So what's all the fuss about then when some terrorist blows up a bus? It's just another legit target and no big deal then and those civvies deserve everything that comes their way? Get real!
The targeting comes down more to moral and ethical issues, both of which are sadly, but not surprisingly lacking, in this current conflict.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
Apparently you never checked at all. Roads and other infrastructure are legal targets in war. Civilians are legal targets too.

They can be legal targets if the infrastructure is of dual use e.g. if Israel believes that the road is being used to supply and support hezbollah, they are NOT legal targets under all and any circumstances.

Repairing roads in southern Lebanon during a time of war could be considered an act of war against Israel

Or it could be UNIFIL simply going about its duty as mandated by the UN and maintaing its ability to travel and also to provide humanitarian aid. The Chinese are there as a fully fledged part of UNIFIL, no problem at all.

It is a very very big statement to say that the UN is declaring war on Israel but if Israel believes that it is at war with the UN they should probably say so and be prepared to take the consequences. I rather doubt that they would be.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Imo, they should have been able to leave when their families evacuated. There are less than 2000 peacekeepers in the region and they can not possibly fulfill their mandate during time of martial conflict as they are lightly armed, with a few APC’s, spread-out over numerous observation posts and have scant ‘administrative’ bases.

UNIFIL is up again for extension at the end of the month, I hope they pull them out and return later. Btw, UNIFIL forces/unarmed observers are also coming under fire from Hezbollah.

mg

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by darksided
Civilians are legal targets too.

Can I ask you to prove that because I know for a fact that the very opposite is true. Civilians are never legal targets according to the Geneva Conventions.

Repairing a bridge is not a death sentence. Given that the people who repaired the bridge will need it to get out of the country when their mandate expires in less than two weeks I would say they had a very good reason to secure their exit out of Dodge.

Given that the troops were Chinese, I would say Israel is absolutely barking mad to kill them. Great tactic there Israel, get the million-odd Chinese army breathing down your neck because some of their UN-mandated engineers rebuilt a bridge...

[edit on 26/7/06 by subz]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I wonder????

If China went to war with Tiawaain, I wonder what china would do if the UN went in-durning the battles, and rebuilt roads and such,

I wonder what would happen if twaaiaize troops fired rockets at Chinese troops/civilians and expected to to be hit because they setup next to the un-hiding behind them

I wonder what China's reaction would be when other countries threaten to get involved over the attacks on IT'S civillians

Just something to pounder

GSA

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I agree with Mrmonsoon .

Chinese troops have no business repairing roads or bridges destroyed to hamper the movement of terrorists - Just what did they think Israel would do? Well now we know, and sorry, but if you put your head in a fire, you'll get badly burnt.

So, we now have chinese troops in Lebanon supporting the escape of terrorists, Iranians as well as foriegn fighters aiding the rocket launches, and if the chinese want to leave, go by helicopter - The israelis would let them out...just not carrying any lebanese. Seems like a jolly time is to be had by all!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Three words:

Oil for food

The UN has been neck deep in graft with oil producing countries, and what most oil producing countries want is "no Israel", or at least an impotent Israel. Its no accident that China is part of UNFIL. They helped upgrade communications and tech in Iraq prior to the war, and active with Iran. They have a lot of interest in the ME due to their huge increase in oil consumption.

Good call, darksided. I was thinking the exact same thing. Besides, some Hez rockets have been fired right beside the UN flag at UNFIL locations.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
You seem to have missed the point that the Chinese troops are part of a UN contingent, not solely acting for China and helping terrorists.
They were repairing roads and bridges to facilitate the transportation of aid and relief supplies. Maybe you are of the opinion that all Lebanese, in fact anyone in the region not Jewish, is a terrorist and should be murdered?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Lots have been done under UN auspices that were in no way nuetral. I have no faith that this would have been any different, nor do I trust that China would allow its troops to be used independant of their own command. Its just not what China does.

Originally posted by Britguy
Maybe you are of the opinion that all Lebanese, in fact anyone in the region not Jewish, is a terrorist and should be murdered?

Quite to the contrary. Just the people who walk on to busses full of women and children and blow them up. Them and the people who support them. Since Israel is such a regional boogey man, and the resulting opression has led to the "terrorism", no one has yet to explain to me why there are no Palestinian Christian suicide bombers, or why the Christians in Lebanon aren't launching rockets into Israel. Aren't they under the same repression? So I guess you can add Christians in with the Jews as people that I don't want killed.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by hogtie]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
You are totally ignorant.
The Chinese was employed by UN.Though he is a Chinese National but he don't work for China.

If you want to know what was he doing there,Then,check out this:
www.un.org...
UNIFIL was created in 1978 to confirm Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon, restore the international peace and security, and help the Lebanese Government restore its effective authority in the area.

Second,i would agree with one CNN report that "it was apparently a deliberate airstrike"

www.cnn.com...
U.N.: Observers made many calls before strike

third,let's not forget the USS Liberty Accident.
During the Six Day War between Israel and the Arab states, the intelligence ship USS Liberty was attacked for 75 minutes in international waters by Israeli aircraft and motor torpedo boats. Thirty-four men died and 174 were wounded.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by chao]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by chao
You are totally ignorant.
The Chinese was employed by UN.Though he is a Chinese National but he don't work for China.

If you want to know what was he doing there,Then,check out this:
www.un.org...
UNIFIL was created in 1978 to confirm Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon, restore the international peace and security, and help the Lebanese Government restore its effective authority in the area.

And how's that working out? Looks like a typical UN flop right about now. And quoting a UN source on the UN holds no water for me. Not until they take responsibility for oil-for-food and the child sex abuse in the Congo. Besides, I know the Chinese are covered as UN units. That's exactly part of the problem.

Second,i would agree with one CNN report that "it was apparently a deliberate airstrike"

I believe so as well. I just think there is a legitimate reason.

third,let's not forget the USS Liberty Accident.
During the Six Day War between Israel and the Arab states, the intelligence ship USS Liberty was attacked for 75 minutes in international waters by Israeli aircraft and motor torpedo boats. Thirty-four men died and 174 were wounded.

And yet Israel lives. Notice how the US didn't call for Israel to be wiped off the map?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
In the Bible it states that during the war of Armegheddon that the whole world will come against Israel. I could see the UN doing that.

GSA

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
yes me too. Led by an irate china and its army 'backing up' its soverign troops, even if they wear a UN beret.

A bad bad move letting the chinese into peace keeping missions through the UN, as it has shown over the last 60 years that it has no problem with duplicity against the west, even at times when its saying its working hand in hand to help / keep / make peace.

Korea, Malaya, Borneo, Indochine war, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam against the americans, and now this debacle with iran and syria.

Wow great people to have in a blue beret are they not??!!??

Heres a weird thought. Russia / china tried to change the world and run it through communism, and it failed. Are they now trying to run it through islam by being the actual puppet masters behind the scenes??

Oh and remember that strike by the US on China's embassy in the yugoslav war when they backed the anti US troops??? hmmmm.... deja vu maybe?

[edit on 26/7/06 by GSA]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by hogtie
And yet Israel lives. Notice how the US didn't call for Israel to be wiped off the map?

Of course it lives. Actually US wanted to wipe Egypt of the map. But the plan failed.

Those darn pesky survivors.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GSA

Oh and remember that strike by the US on China's embassy in the yugoslav war when they backed the anti US troops??? hmmmm.... deja vu maybe?

[edit on 26/7/06 by GSA]

I do remember, and that hasn't been far from my mind either. Hmmm.... controlling Islam? Sounds like a good topic for a thread of its own. Would you start one? If religion is the opiate of the masses, I'm sure those two would like to have their thumb on the plunger of the needle.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek
Of course it lives. Actually US wanted to wipe Egypt of the map. But the plan failed.

Those darn pesky survivors.

They won't escape so easily next time. I'll see to that... personally....
Muwah ha ha ha ha.... mwah ha ha ha... Muawah ha ha haaaaaaaa...

*throws cape over his shoulder and vanishes into the darknes, twirling his mustache*

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join