It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is the end of the world nigh?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
does anyone here really think that mankind will be wiped out in our lifetime,or do you think that paranoia is just part of human nature? we seem to hear about new threats to our exsistence all the time and I sometimes think of all the eras that I could have been born in why does it have to be the one that seems the most dangerous.
Is it just that we now have the technology to discover so much but the threats have always been there? Or do you really think that this is a bad time for us?
does anyone else have a sence of impending doom?

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Well, maybe not in our lifetime, but I believe it will happen. I believe the earth will change, and mankind wont be able to adapt quick enough or well enough to survive. Atleast at the current rate we're going at. Thats just me though ;P

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
perhaps its just me then.
I remember sitting up on the night that some thought nostradamus had predicted for the end of the world totally convinced that something would happen. I had been worried about it since Iwas in my teens and always felt that I wouldn't see past 30. I don't suppose that I've really done myself any favours by finding this site because I'm now spending most of my nights reading about poles shifting and strange things going on at yellowstone etc.
I suppose my fears have grown since I have had children because I think of their future.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
And do you really want to now if and when the world end!!!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Having lived through the '70s I doubt that the world is really under that much threat - heck we came through Cuba - agueably the closest threat ever. Living in the UK we never had the "duck and cover" drills the US had and I think today the clear and present danger is NBC or Dirty terrorist threats but these hardly are a threat to the planet. As for the apocalypse we its been predicted too many times for my mind - and i doubt if it happens we would ever know about it. That being said im off to see Mother Shiptons cave tomorrow and she said the world would end in 1886 - so thats my take on things right now.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
pantha, to tell you the truth, I am looking forward to all these dates describing the end of this and the end of that. I'm curious to see if these things will happen, but I can't worry about.

After all I wont have the power to prevent such things. So I just wait to find out.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
No, the end is not nigh, I promise you. I'm up to me eyeballs in debt and a dead end job. I couldn't be so lucky!!

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   
no I really don't want to know but I can't help worrying. Like I said perhaps its just part of human nature to fear their own end.I would like to hope that I will die old in my bed as will hundreds of future generations. But we hear so much on the news and in the papers, that the possibility of something happening sooner rather than later seems very real. Perhaps sometimes ignorance is bliss.If I lived at an earlier time then a lot of the things that we worry about today would be unheard of.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Thomas - here that - however least you have a job - me im waiting for the EMP to wipe my morgage records

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Pantha and a lot of things would have worried you - dont know your age but a few illustrations

1930 - Rise of Hitler
1940 - WW2
1950 - Cold War
1960 - Cold War, Cuba
1970 - Economic Decline, Middle East
1980 - Middle East, IRA
1990 - Middle East, Economic Decline, IRA
2000 - Millenium Bug

We all face threats - some real some not - but we actually seem to get over them - and seem to have done for the last 2000 years

Your from Kent - which was actually ruled by the Saxons when Arthur was king - we triumphed over them then got taken over - despite the warnings that the world would come to an end - the battle of Myns Baddon.

So dont worry you have more chance losing your life crosing a road than the world coming to an end - and worrying about it

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well you can look at it in a few ways

Things will get worse before they get better
The old saying. The light at the end of the tunnel. To endure hard times and trying events to only make something good from it all. That statement could have more than one meaning.. Mankind can end permanantly and never make a come back, but that would take a very terrific catastrophe to happen, or, despite how many terrible things happen to mankind on earth, we will prevail, and sustain life on earth. Whether it be nuclear war, pole shifts, or even terrorism.

It would take a lot to wipe the planet clean of humankind.

although I could be wrong

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:07 PM
link   
sorry things just get better - not worse before

Mankind is a survivor - ever been in a situation when you felt all was lost ?

we survive its what we are made to do - thats what separates us from everything below us. If you dont believe me look at the stories of shipwrecks and of shak bite victims. Hell i know this is contraversial but even the people on that flight on 9-11.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I just see it as if I was standing on a time line..

for example, if I was on a boat, enjoying myself, and suddenly I was enveloped in rough weather. I have to deal with sailing through the rough weather and all the complications that go with that event to make it through to calmer waters.

In other words, weathering the storm. I guess it all depends on how you look at things

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I know I shouldn't worry about things that I have no control over and I don't worry all the time just every now and then when I read about something new. I am actually 33 next week so I made it past the 30 mark anyway

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well im 36 so dont worry - what happens to me happens to the whole uk. Seriously you read some of this stuff and its like chicken little - the NWO is going to get me - huh in England ? we are the home of the Masons. The US has this big ass bomb - oops they are part of the NATO joint release programe. Seriously this site promotes conspiracy - the belief of a cabal or individual with an agenda. Ive been reading these sites since the 80s - pre internet. The world aint going to end - hell we dropped a probe into Jupiter 4 weeks ago - read the hype on that

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I know I read about the probe crashing into jupiter.I know that most possible world disasters are hyped up and I probably fall for the hype too much.
Perhaps worrying about dying is the wrong word for me to use because I'm not actually afraid of death.Its just the anticipation, wondering when and how its going to happen.As I said before the ones that I worry for are my children.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Perhaps the most fearful sign of the soon-coming Return of Christ is described in Revelation 17 and following.
It is called �Mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth� (Revelation 17:5).
�Babylon has always stood for rebellion against God�self-exaltation and idolatry� (The Orthodox Study Bible, p. 622). This sym�bolic use of Babylon seems to indicate a massive coalition of global, economic, political and religious powers that will bring the world to its final judgment.

It is possible that this could be a somewhat fluid coalition made up of parts or all of international businesses, nations, ethnic groups, religions and churches, perhaps headed by the Anti�christ himself.
It will appear to be irresistible and will be the �Mother of Abomina�tions.� True Christians will find them�selves overwhelmed when they attempt to stand for righteousness.
�For all the nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her [Babylon�s] fornication, the kings of the earth have committed forni�cation with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich through the abun�dance of her luxury.� And I heard another voice from heaven saying, �Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues� (Rev�elation 18:3, 4).

Are these the end times? I think they are. The end of the world is upon us! How soon? I don�t know. But our Lord Jesus Christ said, �Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming� (Mat�thew 25:13).

�Even so, come, Lord Jesus!� (Revelation 22:20)

www.antiochian.org...

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:04 PM
link   
In the 7th statement of the Creed it says: "I believe� in one Lord Jesus Christ� " But the exact date of the Second Coming is hidden from the world.
From the pages of the Gospel we hear the warning words of the Savior: "It is not for you to know the times or the seasons" (Acts 1:7); "But that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father" (Mark 13:32).
At the same time the Lord did not leave us without signs of the time of the Last Judgment. He gave us indications, by which we could deduct that the end is approaching. Based on the words of Christ (Matt. 24; Mark 13; Luke 21), the Apostle Paul (2Thes. 2) and John the Theologian (Revelations), one could list the following as indications:

The preaching of the Gospel throughout the world;
The appearance of multiple false prophets, performing various "miracles" for the attraction of people, and false Christs � those who call themselves Christ;
Wars and social disturbances;
Epidemic drop in morality and the increase of lawlessness in the world;
The diminishment of people�s love for each other;
Discord and Church strife, the appearance of insolent abusers of the Church;
Universal departure from Christianity and the strengthening of various occult teachings;
Massive conversion of many Jews to Christ;
Epidemics of horrible illnesses, earthquakes in places and other natural disasters;
Universal exhaustion of people from fear of approaching disaster.
The final disaster, before the Second Coming, will be the arrival of the Antichrist � the enemy of Christ and his complete opposite (Greek "anti" � "instead," "against").
He will be raised to the height of power through world Judaism and will unite under his rule all countries and religions for three and a half years.
The preparation for the appearance of the Antichrist, performed in the world through the dark powers, the Apostle Paul calls "mystery of iniquity" (2 Thes. 2:7).
The Antichrist�s rule will be a time of great sorrows, previously unseen, and of the worst persecution of the Church.
The Lord Himself will bring his end, Who will come on the earth in glory "for as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west" (Matt. 24:27). Before the Second Coming the sun will darken and the Holy Cross will appear in the sky � the sign of the Son of Man, visible to all.
Then the time for the existence of our world will be fulfilled and the eternal Kingdom of God�s glory will commence.

Are we close to the days of the Last Judgment? One cannot say exactly, but many signs of the end of the world are being fulfilled in front of our eyes.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
we seem to hear about new threats to our exsistence all the time and I sometimes think of all the eras that I could have been born in why does it have to be the one that seems the most dangerous.
Is it just that we now have the technology to discover so much but the threats have always been there? Or do you really think that this is a bad time for us?
does anyone else have a sence of impending doom?

It's funny that you say this. I have the George Carlin Calendar on my desk. Today's entry says, "I think many years ago an advanced civilization intervened with us genetically and gave us just enough intelligence to develop dangerous technology but not enough to use it wisely. Then they sat back to watch the fun. Kind of like a human zoo. And you know what? They're getting their money's worth."

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:14 PM
link   
South Park already had an episode that touched that subject.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join