It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SKS and AK-47 30 round clips

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Why are SKS and AK-47 30 round mags different sizes? If both take 7.62x39, why is the AK mag way longer?

[edit on 21-7-2006 by Full_Auto77]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Depends on which state you live in, example California 100 rd clip is a no no, in Nevada its okay

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It helps if you tell people where you're from when asking about legal things... Not all people here are from US of A

Out here in Finland we've allways had a free choise on mags, but 100rnd mags are useless in anything but military LMG use... they screw up the manouverability too much for IPSC etc.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Also, anyone know why the 30 mags for AK-47s are longer than 30 round mags for SKS? I mean they both take 7.62x39, so why is the AK Mag longer?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Anyone elses input would be welcomed.

So anyone know the answer to my SKS/AK Mags question?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Well the only thing i could imagine would be something to do with the spring mechanism inside. The rounds would still fit in to the same size so maybe it has to be the spring housing

Just my guess

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Anyone know for sure?

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Single stack versus dble stack clips. Double stacks alternate sides of the clip that the rounds sit on, single stacks are straight lined. Probably a feeding issue on one versus the other. You would have to look at the feeding mechanism of each rifle. Ive only seen the Ak, not the SKS so i couldnt honestly tell you. I do know about different types of clips for same caliber of handguns and that is usually the case.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I don't know for sure, I can't find the specs, and don't have the mags myself, but measure the width of the SKS mag vs the AK. If the SKS is wider, there's your answer. The wider the mag, the more it can hold and save onl length. The SKS mag well may have been made wider than the AK, since the SKS is designed with basically an attached 10 rd mag, that can be replaced with something else later, and a shorter magazine would be a plus in the field.

If that's not it, then there must be more spring in the AK mag, for a reason that I wouldn't know.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by hogtie]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yeah the SKS clip is double stacked IIRC:
|||o o o o o||
||o o o o o|||

But I am not sure about the retrofitted detatchable SKS mags, they are illegal in my state. 10 rounds max here in NJ.

I don't know anything about the AK, never had one.

[edit on 7/21/06 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I think you are comparing a AK 40 round magazine to an SKS 30 round mod magazine

The AK Mag in most states has a limiting plate to 30 rounds, much like AR-20's have a block out plate that makes them 10 or 5 round magazines.

Modifying them to remove the plates is also somewhat illegal in most states.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Firstly it's a detachable box magazine not a clip. The SKS in its original form takes a clip to load 10 rounds into a fixed magazine.

Secondly, be careful not to run afoul of the law if you have an SKS with a detachable mag. If it's a Yugo 59/66 with the grenade launcher still attached you're in violation of reg. 922(r) and 925(d) - but enough of those stupid BATFE rules.

In answer to your question, it depends on the manufacturer. Different sized followers and different springs can make a big difference in size. For example, South Africa manufactured a flush fitting magazine for the High Power which held 17 rounds as opposed to the originals 13 rounds.

If you are a regular user of the SKS, you really need to get the bolt safety upgrade from Murray's Gunsmithing, for $35 it's a no brainer:

www.murraysguns.com...

Someone was killed by a runaway SKS recently, that free floating firing pin and Morse Taper will eventually stick, and then say hello to Mr.Slamfire.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It is legal in my state to have up to 100 round magazines. And yes the SKS mag is double stacked. It looks like the AK is single.

So if you guys owned an SKS and where going to buy an AK, would you still keep the SKS or sale it for half of what you paid for it?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetsehSomeone was killed by a runaway SKS recently, that free floating firing pin and Morse Taper will eventually stick, and then say hello to Mr.Slamfire.

Are you saying the SKS would blow up or what?

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Do not the two rifles have different designers. Siminov and Kalashnikov. I would think this is one of the main reasons the magazines are different. Simply put the magazine well is different for each rifle because they have different designers. A different magazine well fingerprint by virtue of different designers.

Also the SKS is in its original form not a magazine fed weapon. As I recall it is a clip feed weapon from the top not the bottom. Ten rounds. The magazines are a modification to them While it has what appears to be a small box magazine it is actually a hinged floorplate with a release. It is not magazine fed like the AK series.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Are you saying the SKS would blow up or what?

SKS's are prone to slam-fires, IE bang the weapon or drop it and it can go off.

However I've never seen it happen, and I get the impression it's mainly a risk when the weapon is not kept properly clean.

As I recall it is a clip feed weapon from the top not the bottom. Ten rounds.

This is correct, it has a 10-round fixed magazine, the weapon is loaded from the top using a stripper clip, a small metal clip that holds the rounds as they are loaded into the magazine. The detatchable magazines are aftermarket modifications.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
SKS's are prone to slam-fires, IE bang the weapon or drop it and it can go off.

Not quite. A slamfire is a condition where the free floating firing pin in the SKS sticks in the forward position in the bolt. As the bolt closes on a live chambered round the already extended firing pin touches off the primer and the weapon fires, it does this slightly out of battery which is potentially dangerous in and of itself (the bolt is not locked), but the real problem is that the pin can continue to stick in the extended position and the weapon will go full auto, i.e. machine gun style, until the remainder of the 10 (or more) rounds have been expended.

10 rounds of full auto 7.62x39mm are surprisingly difficult to hang on to, and in the incident I mentioned earlier, the runaway rifle turned itself through 180 degrees and put the last of the 10 rounds through the face of the shooter's best friend who was standing by him. The outcome was not favorable for anyone concerned.

This condition is caused by 2 things:

1. A dirty firing pin channel gunked up with shooting residue and/or Cosmoline
2. The design of the Morse Taper in the bolt which encourages the firing pin to stick in the forward position after repeated use.

The SKS is an incredible weapon for $140, and makes a fearsome ally should you ever need to call on it in a sticky situation, but check out that website I listed above and get the bolt upgrade - it's a must.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the clarification Retseh, you are right of course.

But as I said proper cleaning of the weapon makes it a lot more unlikely.

I think people get the idea that because it's a cheap, Russian rifle made for field conditions, it doesn't need to be taken care of properly. And that's a really bad attitude to have.

I will look into that bolt safety upgrade, it looks like a sensible investment.

posted on Jul, 22 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Ive seen weapons not cleaned before..even some expensive weapons. The one which comes immediately to mind was a remington .22 caliber rifle. It looked like it had been caked upon ..the powder residue. Someone must have put about 500 plus rounds through this one without cleaning. I never do that with my tools. THe concept is just horrible to me.
I have been taught to take care of my tools. Not just firearms but other tools also that they will serve me well when needed. I am not always gentle with my tools but I dont abuse them by not providing care that they will be ready to be used when needed. I dont care for peoples who are negligent in this manner. It just leaves a bad taste in my craw around people like this.

I own a Puch moped with some 27,000 miles on it. You dont do this without taking care of a tool like this. Its olde and worn but it still serves me. Same with my truck. I am loyal to any tool which serves me well. Its the way I was raised.

A bit off topic but I think you folks get the idea.

I second your point Xmotex about taking care of your tools.

Good cleaning and proper care with any tool is a must in my book.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 02:15 AM
link   
If you thinking about getting a 30+ rd clip i suggest you get an AK because i use to own a SKS and i had an aftermarket clip and it was a pain in the butt trying to load the clip in because you have to pull back the bolt and try to push the clip in at the sametim... but if use a 10 rd clip you can just use a stripper loader... unfortunately i got my SK stolen when my car got broken into... damn theives
and one more thing the clips on SkS aren't held in place like any other rifles...

[edit on 23-7-2006 by IspyU]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join