It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kraken

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
going back to pirates of carribbean the scene in which the perl is pulled under was
inspired by this illistration of an event from the 1600s when a ship was supposedly attacked off the coast of angola
link to picture www.tenhand.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The Kraken is just a scandinavian myth, giant squids, however, are real, just not as large as their mythical brethren.
Just curious too.... how would say "Fallen Watchers" and "Noah's Flood" have anything to do with Krakens?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I believe that another word for kraken is leviathan. Those two tend to get mixed up, so i believe they are basically the same?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
The kraken is supposedly a giant squid type thing? What is so hard to believe about that? Just like the orca?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Just something I thought I'd say. Apparently in WW2 in the Indian Ocean, a British Trawler was came alongside a gigantic squid. The eyewitness reported seeing the head of the squid at one end of the ship and the end of the tentacles at the other end. The ship in question was 175ft long.

Think about a 175ft long squid attacking a boat in an era where most boats were only have that size...

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jessbarabbit

Kraken is supposedly THE giant squid. Bigger than any giant squid that we've ever found, and we just recently in the past few years have evidence that the giant squid species actually exists.

I'm really not too sure where you're going with the orca thing. Orca have no cryptozoological connection, and they're big, but there's no orca that people say "Wow that orca was 4000 feet long and ate my ship." Orcas are killer whales. Squids are mollusks, in the class Cephalopoda. Orcas are mammals. Squid are not.

We've also never found any giant squid to be anywhere near the supposed length of the Kraken, although we've found some pretty big ones, but it's been a pain to find those.

In the zoological world, if you have no physical evidence, it isn't real.

[edit on 1/31/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoSuchAgency

the kraken is just some large evolved form of octopi so dont be puttin religious crap on this thread

How come you consider religion crap and not giant octopus that take boats to the ocean depths, I think that people who believe the kraken is a work of gods are just as right as people like you who believe it's really a giant squid

Bottom line is, noone really knows, so everything could be right, and everything could be wrong, so let's not call eachothers theories crap

Personally, I didn't know that this is actually a real myth, and to be honeat I believe that this is just another story thought of by drunken sailors in pubs, but who knows...

[edit on 22-7-2006 by NoSuchAgency]

Not everything is right. Just me

Personally I think the kraken could be akin to the bloop.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The only Kraken there is, in my opinion, is the Giant Squid, which is a legit animal. Mistakes do happen often and after being passed from person to person, stories change a lot. They probably saw the Giant Squid and thought it was a Kraken, or exaggerated it to gain popularity.

My 2 cents.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Remember, There is always a bigger fish.

Im sure there has to be some chances of a giant octpi species living somewhere deep in the ocean. The only problem is the lack of food down there, as a creatrue of this size would need to eat A LOT.

This brings up more theories of there being a giant ecosystem at the bottom of the ocean, one we have never seen before.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Giant squid has been a recognized creature since the 1800s, with constant descriptions of it reaching back to the early Greeks.

First recordings of live specimens didn't happen until fairly recently- 2004.

Even larger than the giant squid is the aptly named colossal squid, which was discovered back in 1925.

For the kraken itself, the initial accounts of the creature show it as fairly harmless, being more dangerous simply due it's size.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now, as a personal theory, there's a theory that due to the silent nature of the older wooden ships, that giant squids wouldn't notice their approach, or due to curiosity would investigate the ships.
Stories have ranged from simply seeing the squid in the water by the ship, to it actually investigating the ship with it's tentacles.
Whether they are true or not is up to doubt.

But, if there were sightings of the creature, the most terrifying thing to happen to a sailor would be for it to attack the ship. And, stories could pop up about disappearing ships being attacked by them.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NoSuchAgency

Recently I saw an episode of monsterquest in which the crew attatched a camera to a humboldt squid. The squid was then released at which point it made a totally vertical descent straight down. Within a few seconds there were many other humboldt squid attacking the camera but in a flash of total disbelief there appeared to be an ENORMOUS squid that passed pretty quickly in front of the camera....then with one quick water jet it was gone! That video wass then sent to an expert in size analysis who by the end of the show relayed the striking info that the creature was not a humboldt squid but a real live GIANT SQUID! or Archituthus Duct......or something like that....sorry....cant spell it. And the creature was easily close to 100ft range in length with the tentacles having a circumfrence of something like 4-5ft around!! Now maybe the Kraken is legend...but if something this big was caught on camera and the ocean is truly the final frontier then who's to say NO, ITS A MYTH!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join