It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hottest day ever recorded in England

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Another global warming thing...

SOURCE

Wednesday has become the hottest July day in England ever, with a temperature of 36.3C (97.3F) recorded at Charlwood in Surrey, near Gatwick Airport.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It felt WAAAAAAAY Hotter than that because of the humidity. We have been getting what can be described as tropical weather here in southern England, which feels alot like the Southern U.S.

With the high heat and humidity, we have also been getting alot more thunderstorms. Three in just the past week, with a major downpour on saturday that caused sewage drains to overflow all over the place.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Actually it was only the hottest day recorded in July. Hottest day ever was in 2003, and was 38.5 celcius.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the correction.
I had family in London during this and they said it was wierd because the people
arnt prepared, by not being prepared i mean no A/C, only in busses and some cars.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
We in Australia often find the reports of European heat waves amusing (not people dying though). The fact that people left their sprinklers on overnight just goes to show how water unconcious people are, though when you aren't used to those temperatures, I guess it is kind of understandable.

As way of example, the house I was in for New Years Day 2006 only had a portable air conditioner, and the inside temp hit 46 degrees celsius. Yep, it was as bad as it sounds!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I also live in Australia and where I live in summer it regularly reaches 40C and we always have a number of days around 45C. The highest temperature I can remember was about four years ago when it reached 48C.

We only recently purchased a proper airconditioner, I just had a small desktop fan, and I can remember a number of occasions when the temperature in my bedroom at midnight was still 40C.

Temperatures of 35C would just about make me put a jumper on.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
WOW,
thats 113 f.
It was 90 today here in NY and i was dripping sweat while cutting some dead trees down
guess my body is not acclimated enough.
*runs to thermostat and turns up heat*

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I live in Denmark, and we're about 20 degrees (F) over the average for this time of year. It's been getting close to 90 (F) every day, and right now is the most humid I have ever felt it in my life - the air is so thick I can barely breathe.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
THis reminds me of a conversion going on between two old women on a back porch:
"It sho was hot today...."

Slow day I guess.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Between the lines, I am trying to make a global warming statement.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The tilt of the earth causes seasonal changes, usually bringing on flucuations in temperature. I would say, that given it being July in the northern hemisphere, a 90 degree day should not be a noteworthy event. Seems quite normal to me. Why put the blame for mild discomfort on global warming? What is global warming?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Why put the blame for mild discomfort

Stop right there.........

www.cnn.com...

17,000 people dead is not MILD dude ! WTF ?

[edit on 29-7-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nogirt Seems quite normal to me. Why put the blame for mild discomfort on global warming? What is global warming?

Ummm normal?? Your kidding right?

Heat turns deadly; cows "dropping like flies"

California Heat-Related Deaths Reach 83

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Gripped by a 10th straight day of 100-degree heat, California sweated out the possibility of more blackouts Tuesday as the number of suspected heat-related deaths climbed to at least 53 and the rotting carcasses of thousands of dairy cows and other livestock baked in the sun.

Tens of thousands of customers in Northern and Southern California had no electricity. About 1,700 San Jose customers faced their third day without power, and some residents slept in backyards and hotel rooms to escape the stifling heat.

In St. Louis, about 145,000 homes and businesses still without power after two storms last week knocked out electricity to nearly 600,000 customers. A utility worker was electrocuted Tuesday and another was injured while trying to restore power.

In New York City, a blackout that left about 100,000 people without electricity during some of the hottest days of the year all but ended Tuesday, allowing weary residents who endured nine days of rotting food and sweltering homes to begin getting back to normal.

Source

EUROPE

Source: Copyright 2006, Inter Press Service
Date: July 21, 2006

Original URL

The heat wave sweeping Europe is a direct consequence of the warming of the earth's atmosphere, experts say.

"We are observing and suffering the first effects of global warming," Hervé Le Treut, meteorologist at the French Centre for Scientific Research told IPS.

Record temperatures of well over 35 degrees Celsius were recorded all over Europe this week. On Jul. 20 Paris and Berlin registered 39 degrees. In Belgium, Jul. 19 was the hottest day ever in July, with 37 degrees.

The heat wave has led to several deaths across Europe.

Source

[edit on 29-7-2006 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Just a bit of useless info BUT...

In Dubai when the temperatures reach 50 degees celsius it is illegal to work outdoors..construction/manual labourers etc..

So to get around that little problem they always report the temperature to be 48 degrees... even when it,s up to 54.

Walking home last night was so humid you could barely make out the neon signs through the hot mist.. HAAGEN DAZS anyone?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'm somewhat glad I live in the southern US. At least everyone here has air conditioning except of course outside the office areas of a manufacturing plant. The temperature here was above average at around 100 degrees F. with a heat index around 105 degrees F. I believe. Having temperatures reach the 90's is typical for a hot summer day here but I can turn my air conditioning down to a comfortable temperature to help with sleeping. We would be suffering and complaining a great deal if it was in the 90's without air conditioning.

As far as humidity goes, I swear I have felt cooler in the western US with the temperature around 117 degrees than here in the eastern US with the temperature around 99 degrees with high humidity. Hottest temperature I remember seeing on a thermometer was 180 degrees F. I felt like I was burning up and my face was getting a bit red. I wasn't outside though. I was walking through an unusually hot section of a glass plant one day. Two minutes of that was more than enough.

Note: According to the google conversion, 180 degrees F. equals 82.222 degrees Celsius. My skin was still red for several minutes later after walking down that one tunnel. It may have taken a few minutes to walk it. At least it was a dry heat.

[edit on 29-7-2006 by orionthehunter]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
It's worth noting that the weather station which recorded the highest ever July temperature has not been operating long.

It's therefore quite possible that that locality has in fact experienced even higher temperatures in the past - especially since on several days it has recorded a significantly higher temperature than any other nearby weather station. Unfortunately we don't know what temperatures might have been recorded there in 1976 or even 2003.

Overall, the current heatwave is still less severe than that of '76 - which no-one attributes to Global Warming.

The only connection to GW that can properly been made is that such heatwaves - both here and elsewhere in the world - do appear to be increasing in frequency and severity. Thus a trend may be becoming established. One event in itself though proves nothing. after all, we had a very cold March - was that proof that a new ice age was beginning?

Edit: personally I can't stand temps above about 80f - and much prefer then nearer 30f! The past few weeks have been miserable.

[edit on 29-7-2006 by Essan]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So now I am to blame for the deaths of 17k? Who else is to blame? Not any of you of course...

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan One event in itself though proves nothing. after all, we had a very cold March - was that proof that a new ice age was beginning?

Oh yes exactly... first it gets hot... melts ice caps... freshwater cold water moves south... makes bid storms.. then ice age

Brit better buy some wooly clothing snd stock up on blankets

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
ADVICE:

1) Don't buy AC machines. It's stupid. They won't work anyway because they will cause a failure of the electrical net (an overload) and as a result no devices, not just the ACM, will not work. The French and the Americans have made that mistake, don't do the same.
2) Eat icecream.
3) Drink cold drinks, e.g. mineral water.

[edit on 30-7-2006 by JimmyCarterIsNotSmarter]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimmyCarterIsNotSmarter
ADVICE:

1) Don't buy AC machines. It's stupid. They won't work anyway because they will cause a failure of the electrical net (an overload) and as a result no devices, not just the ACM, will not work. The French and the Americans have made that mistake, don't do the same.
2) Eat icecream.
3) Drink cold drinks, e.g. mineral water.

1]Just because YOU can't afford one, don't call us stupid and here in Vegas we are experts at AC and have a whole dam to provide the juice..

2] If you eat enough Icecream to stay cool, you will gain a lot of weight and hence need more to keep you cool

3] In India they drink hot tea as it equalizes your body temperature...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join