It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MiG-29 OVT at Farnborough - King is Dead, Long Live The King

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hey, can anybody give me a link to a decent video of the MiG-29 OVT display at Farnborough 2006. It's funny how the only thing I found was a 12 sec clip with very low resolution. If it was an American plane I'm sure all the forums would be swirming with topics and links about it. I'm not sure why this happens...
Anyway, a decent video would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure most members will enjoy it. Thanks in advance.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

The resolution is medium. No DVD but you can clearly see whats happening

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Hey, thanks a lot China,

A bit disappointing though (except maybe for the first part), I've seen better displays of the MiG-29 OVT. But having in mind the habit of Farnborough officials to demand sanitizing the displays of certain aircraft (happened to the Su-37, people who witnessed the practice say they saw different things, than what was displayed to the public), I guess that's enough for those in the know to see what's cookin.
Gee, I can't wait for the Indians to buy this thing and field it in one of their COPE India excercises.
Why aren't there any uncorrupted polititions in my God forsaken country(don't ask which), we should buy this thing. Instead we will buy overpriced F-16's
, cause we sure as hell can't afford Typhoons, Rafales, F-35's and the like. At which point a decent government would buy MiG-29's, Mirages or Gripens, but no... we'll buy the F-16

Sorry for the off-topic, but I just had to share my pain with people who know what I'm talking about, unlike everyone around me.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pazo
A bit disappointing though (except maybe for the first part), I've seen better displays of the MiG-29 OVT.

yep the farnborough officials caused the plane to do a dodgy routine.

But having in mind the habit of Farnborough officials to demand sanitizing the displays of certain aircraft (happened to the Su-37, people who witnessed the practice say they saw different things, than what was displayed to the public), I guess that's enough for those in the know to see what's cookin.

maybe they want to restrict the whole show to people who payed and went. how many companies out there seel something and then let you have the whole service for free?

Why aren't there any uncorrupted polititions in my God forsaken country(don't ask which), we should buy this thing. Instead we will buy overpriced F-16's
, cause we sure as hell can't afford Typhoons, Rafales, F-35's and the like. At which point a decent government would buy MiG-29's, Mirages or Gripens, but no... we'll buy the F-16

by a corrupt politician i think of a politician who takes bribes. are you suggesting Your government takes bribes from the us to buy f-16s. and if you mean corrupt as in they get swayed by political pressure then find me an uncorupt government.

Sorry for the off-topic, but I just had to share my pain with people who know what I'm talking about, unlike everyone around me.

no you wanted to get in a jab at the west in particular us and uk.

justin

[edit on 19-7-2006 by justin_barton3]

[edit on 19-7-2006 by justin_barton3]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have to admit that the MiG-29OVT is something else. Everything that I've seen from it's routines are amazing. From what I've heard, the Farnborough routine was about the same as the MAKS 2005 one so the restrictions weren't very apparent if there were any.

[edit on 19-7-2006 by JFrazier]

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Guys that video is over 2 months old on youtube therefore I don't think it's from Farnborough '06. It's still a good clip even with the dodgy euro-beat music.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I saw the display on Monday. It was pretty much similar to other Farnborough displays I have seen over the years. The plane did two backward flips like a falling leaf. The Russians did not have any other military aircraft at the show. When was the last time they had anything new to show?

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DickDasterdly
I saw the display on Monday. It was pretty much similar to other Farnborough displays I have seen over the years. The plane did two backward flips like a falling leaf. The Russians did not have any other military aircraft at the show. When was the last time they had anything new to show?

Maybe they are waiting for someone else to catch up with them (in terms of maneuverability) before they release anything new. Then again, they could already have planes that exceed the capabilities of the mig-29 ovt but are keeping it under wraps, who knows. I must admit though, from what I saw at Fairford last saturday, its still a very impressive display to show what a heap of metal hurtling through the sky can do.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
LOL at the RD-33. Still smokin' even with design improvements. Just can't get rid of that bad habit.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
The last 10 seconds of the clip shows the most important feature. Now think how agile the plane will be when it is allowed to do a full routine

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3

by a corrupt politician i think of a politician who takes bribes. are you suggesting Your government takes bribes from the us to buy f-16s. and if you mean corrupt as in they get swayed by political pressure then find me an uncorupt government.

Not from the US, from people who will profit from the deal, and political pressure from the US. Look, for my country it is useless to buy F-16s. We can afford not more than 2 squadrons. Neighbours have hundreds of F-16s. So they won't take you seriously if you have the same weapons as them, but 10 times less. You need to get something which would pose a threat big enough to make them think twice. The MiG-29OVT is such thing. We are a peaceful country, we don't need a bombtruck, we need air defence fighters. The F-16 is not a good choice for us.

no you wanted to get in a jab at the west in particular us and uk.

justin.

Where did you get that from. I took a jab at the F-16, if that offends the US, I could live vith that, but what did I say against the UK
That the Typhoon is expensive? Well it is, at least for us, you guys can afford it, which is great.

LOL at the RD-33. Still smokin' even with design improvements. Just can't get rid of that bad habit.

You'll have a hard time seeing this small detail if you're on the receiving end of its R-73 missiles.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rhesus Negative
Guys that video is over 2 months old on youtube therefore I don't think it's from Farnborough '06. It's still a good clip even with the dodgy euro-beat music.

OK back to square 1, can anyone give me a link to a video from the actual FB '06

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   

You'll have a hard time seeing this small detail if you're on the receiving end of its R-73 missiles.

I wouldn't have a hard time seeing the MiG light up on my radar however.

It all depends on what I'm piloting I guess. There are more than a few planes in the USAF and USN to choose from.

[edit on 20-7-2006 by JFrazier]

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Eat your heart out, USA.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JFrazier

I wouldn't have a hard time seeing the MiG light up on my radar however.

It all depends on what I'm piloting I guess. There are more than a few planes in the USAF and USN to choose from.

[edit on 20-7-2006 by JFrazier]

It will light up on your radar undoubtedly, but what's it have to do with the smoking engines?
Actually there are only two planes that have a better chance to get a lock on the MiG-29OVT before it gets a lock on them, F-22 & F-35. Both are too expensive for my country, and since the last time I checked we were allies with the US, so we can take our chances with the MiG. 2 squadrons of MiG-29OVT's would be an adequate force for a small and peaceful country.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The falling leaf maneuovre is a crowd pleaser. Actually it is a bit passe now. It was interesting the first time and less so the second and third times. One Farnborough some years ago I was watching the same routine flown by an Su27 Flanker. I was with a Typhoon pilot who then went on to explain in graphic detail what he would do to the Flanker in a combat situation. Suffice to say that it makes any aircraft a sitting duck.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Actually there are only two planes that have a better chance to get a lock on the MiG-29OVT before it gets a lock on them, F-22 & F-35.

Not really, there are more, the F/A-18E/F, F-16 Block 60, and Typhoon just to name a few, all have lower RCS values than the OVT and all have a more powerful (or as powerful) radar system as the OVT.

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I've a couple of questions.

Does the OVT include any RCS reduction measures similar to those envisaged for the Su-37 Terminator?

These include RAM coatings on the compressor blades, RAM on the wing leading/trailing edge surfaces and the inlet ducts. There may also be a plasma screen infront of the radardome.

edit: Sorry, I mean either MiG-29 OVT or MiG-35 variant.

Also, while some of the manouvres are purely for airshows, they only highlight the manouverability of the aircraft => basically its more manouverable than A, B or C. In a combat situation, the pilot of the MiG will not be sticking to an airshow routine in order to win - I think its pretty foolish for people to dismiss the manouverability potential based on a couple of fixed moves designed to show the manouverability of the aircraft, not necessarily combat manouvres.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by kilcoo316]

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DickDasterdly
The falling leaf maneuovre is a crowd pleaser. Actually it is a bit passe now. It was interesting the first time and less so the second and third times. One Farnborough some years ago I was watching the same routine flown by an Su27 Flanker. I was with a Typhoon pilot who then went on to explain in graphic detail what he would do to the Flanker in a combat situation. Suffice to say that it makes any aircraft a sitting duck.

Can you go into detail if you remeber any? I'm a sucker for combat tachic's and a graphically detailed description even if you dont remeber it all would be nice.(not bashing any Rus tech here just trying to make some plane talk)

posted on Jul, 21 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I will try my best.

It involves post-stall maneuoverability. If the nose of an aircraft is lifted relative to the direction it is travelling (angle of attack), it slow's down considerably. Eventually there comes to the point where it does not have any forward momentum to ensure that there is an airflow over the control surfaces and it ceases to be an aircraft and falls out of the sky like a brick- the aircraft has stalled. Aircraft like the F16 and the Typhoon can sustain angles of attack (or Alpha) of 30 ish degrees from the velocity vector. The F22 can do better; because of thrust vectoring it can reach +/- 70 Alpha. The F22 can therefore fly at angles of attack beyond it's stall point - it is therefore said to have post-stall maneuoverability. This is what the Russian aircraft are demonstrating. Theoretically it could be an advantage in a slow speed dog fight air battle where the aircraft with post stall capability might be able to turn more sharply and point its nose more quickly. The trouble is that modern WVR missiles are ultra-maneuoverable, once they have a lock, you might as well bail out if they cannot be decoyed. In order to make use of post-stall maneuoverability, it is necessary to blead-off all the energy (note how the MiG29OVT hung motionless in the air before falling backwards. That would merely make it a sitting duck. Far from being able break a missile lock, this action would make it easier for the missile. Perhaps in a guns only fight it might make a difference.

Please note this is just my off the cuff understanding. I do not claim to have any professional knowledge. So anyone can jump in and correct me.

[edit on 21-7-2006 by DickDasterdly]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join