It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of moderately sized giant squid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is not my video, nor do I know the person who shot it...I just found it on Youtube.

Looks like a "small" giant squid. Don't know much about them, or if the color is right, or whatever. I still though it looked cool.

Could be real, could be fake, opinions?

www.youtube.com...

-O

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It's a Humboldt Squid..

A big one, but not the famed "Architeuthis dux"
Which is supposed to be the worlds largest invertabrate.
No live adults have ever been filmed to this date..only babies...

So it's a real video!

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
It's a Humboldt Squid..

A big one, but not the famed "Architeuthis dux"
Which is supposed to be the worlds largest invertabrate.
No live adults have ever been filmed to this date..only babies...

So it's a real video!

Sweet...that thing is neat looking. I knew that no one has ever seen a living adult giant squid, although I wasn't aware of their proper name "Architeuthis dux." I bet those things are nasty if you do see them...freaking huge.

Isn't it theorized that one type of whale eats them? I think Sperm but I could be wrong.

-O

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Arent the Archi's white in color?

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Japanese scientists caught one on Video last year. here is the link giant squid

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Great stuff Kleverone!

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I found that on youtube a few days ago - it certainly is real. I am sure it is eaten by whatever can catch it! mmmm...calamari.....f a b u l o u s - a little lemon juice, some marinara sauce and you're in business! I don't know if it's as good as the small ones though , something to think about.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by uplander
I found that on youtube a few days ago - it certainly is real. I am sure it is eaten by whatever can catch it! mmmm...calamari.....f a b u l o u s - a little lemon juice, some marinara sauce and you're in business! I don't know if it's as good as the small ones though , something to think about.

Probably not... as with a lot of animals, I have a feeling the bigger they are the more "gamey" they taste.

Perch and Walleye are perfect examples of freshwater fish that taste better when they're smaller. Then again, you don't catch Walleye fo eat, you catch them for the catch!

-O

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
Japanese scientists caught one on Video last year. here is the link giant squid

Right!

I forgot about that. the first glimpse of a live Giant squid..Article says they have over 900 images.. I'd like to see more..

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Those creatures are creepy i remember a documentory, not sure if it was national geo. but they are extremly ferocious, theres some sort of claws on their tentacles and no matter how big you are they gonna test your will to survive. The guy was figthing and shooting.

On this same documentary they were trying to fish and tag them but it end up beeing a bad idea cause most of the squid on the line was dead once caugth, apparently other squid was taking benefits from the unlucky squid on the line to perform some canibalism.

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
oh yea i saw the doc too.

the squid doesnt look giant..i mean it could grow larger but i dont think its a "giant squid"

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm not a biologist, and I really don't know much about squid, per se, but it does look kinda "big" compared to the ones I've eaten! LOL food again, I know

Hey, can someone please post a pic of the Japanese giant that they caught?

I just love stuff like this!

Maybe someone will have a pic of a whale eating a giant squid ? I've seen drawings of that, but never a pic. I think it's because they all live so deep in the ocean and they don't come to the surface so much?

I wish ATS would have more stuff like this here - not necessarily the big foot biology, if you get my drift?

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
There is a pic in the link I posted. And yes Dalair it is considered a "Giant " Squid. Although there is no actual term labeled "Giant Squid" this is the Architeuthis dux that was referred to in the second post.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
HI dont know if anyone else has read this but the book arthur c Clarke's myesterious world has a whole chapter labeled 'creatures of the deep.'
It consists of many stories of squid that was bigger than a 175ft battlehship and a story about a 20,000 tone oil tanker being dragged down.
Another interesting story form the book is a actual battle between a squid and a sperm whale.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
To me, Walleye are better as they are older, but that is like every animal, espically Catfish, usually if they are over 15 pounds its not good to eat, cause after they get so big they just eat every thing and don't stick to a diet like some animals do. Then animals like squirrel and deer, there meat isn't tender and good it gets hard and they can get warbles etc etc.

[edit on 3-8-2006 by Evil_minds]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Actually, there is a second video linked to the first from the original post that shows a dead giant squid (over 8 meters) from the Falkland Islands being preserved for study on 24Feb05. It is worth watching.

I saw the pics and video of the giant squid from Japan earlier this year as well, very impressive.

link

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Weird due to Historic accounts like on with Oil Tanker, these Squids must be darn large to take down such a thing inless i weighed down the end of the boat.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hi everyone I am new here and this is a great site, for I am a hardcore beliver in many things.

well heres my take on this, during the 15th-17th centuries, many sailors had belived that there are sea monsters and one of them was a giant squid able to take down a whole ship, I belive there once was, because of the fact that in colonial eras lobster could be found that is 100 pounds, thats a huge lobster!!!, and over time as lobster became a delicassy and many people had captured lobster and killed them disallowed the lobster to mate and make newer lobster and continuing the chain of huge lobsters, evolution acted upon it and eventually the lobster could only grow up to 2 or 3 or maybe 5 pounds, so back then in the 15th-17th century, where sea monsters were feared, i belive there could have been a Giant squid able to take down a ship but as time progressed evolution acted upon it and made it grow to a certain size. If you notice, dinasoars were huge, when they died out many of there ancestors lived and now thrive here on Earth. For example alligators, they were huge a long time ago but now they have literally shrunk. We, humans, are shrinking as well, neanderthals were huge, everything on them eventually gravity will act upon us and make us shorter until medical problems arise and our lives are in danger. but thats in millions of years.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
well, giant squids are nice and all, but dont forgot Colossal Squid! Its bigger!
and no, they dont eat Whales, whales eat them, but sometimes they fight back!

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I watched the Discovery Channel special about the Japanese scientist that took the pictures someone mentioned above. It was awesome.

They got hte first pictures of the giant squid alive!

They also went in depth about how Sperm Whales hunt them, and even bring them to the surface for their kids to eat. They also went on to show all the damage that the squids cause the Sperm Whale during their battles.

It's really neat if you get a chance to watch it.

-O

top topics

<<   2 >>

join