It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farnborough thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
As you may have heard the world's largest(?) industry airshow is taking place in Farnborough, UK.

current news snips are that Airbus has again revamped its A-350 product as the "A-350 XWB" - XWB standing for extra wide body. This is intended to emphasise that it will rival the 777 as well as the 787.

Meanwhile Boeing has said that it's still having weight problems with the 787 Dreamliner but promise this won't delay the whole product - empty promise?

Any other news to report?

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I've also seen that Boeing are considering making the 747-8I bigger, currently the passenger version is proposed as a smaller stretch of the 747-400 than the freighter version but now they are considering using the same size fuselage for both versions.

In an order change Emirates has converted its A380F orders into extra A380-800 passenger models instead and has ordered the 747-8F in their place.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Haven't heard anythin but i'd sure like to visit that airshow.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
You can keep up with the show via Flight TV with its daily reports. Airbus, V-22 and MiG 29OVT feature on the first one. Double click the small screen if you want a full screen picture.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Thanks. Mind you all the reports seem obsessed with Airbus when I'm more curious that a background clip on BBC World (TV) showed a BAE Sys Herti UAV with what looks like a different engine.........

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   
OK I've tracked down some info on the 'new' Herti, as usual UAV-obsessed Mike got there first.

www.flightglobal.com...

This is a competitor with Predator BTW.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Several things caught my eye.

I was surprised to see the X47B on display (not a mock up - the real thing). I thought that program had been cancelled.

In the Bell Hellicopter Hall I was absolutely gob-smacked to see the X-Hawk - yes this was a mock up but it is still impressive. It looks like something straight out of a Batman movie; a bit like a flying hummvee with two mini-guns and carrying 11 soldiers.

The V22 was impressive. I spoke to the crew. They had diverted to Iceland because of engine problems on their way across the Atlantic.

The A380 was very, very quiet.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
Meanwhile Boeing has said that it's still having weight problems with the 787 Dreamliner but promise this won't delay the whole product - empty promise?

I'd be more wary of maintenance problems with the fuselage, more specifically the detection methods proposed and the repair techniques.

I know Boeing are saying maintenance costs are 30% lower, and many are regurgatating this without much thought.

Its ok saying that composites are more resistant to corrosion and fatigue, that is readily acceptable.

But what about impact damage? Trucks do drive into aircraft, spanners are dropped on them etc etc etc its quite a regular occurance. Composites are known to hide damage very well, whereas aluminum will just dent - do Boeing have an alternative to traditional NDT methods like ultrasound to check any collision areas for hidden damage? And if so, can it be fixed quick?

For example

Newswire

One-quarter of the huge new Airbus A380 will be built from various composites and advanced materials -- 22 percent carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic, and 3 percent "glare," a glass fiber-aluminum laminate, which is being used for the first time on a civil airliner. These materials, and the expectations that their use will increase (Boeing's 787 will be built almost entirely of composites) and that more very large airliners will be built, has raised questions at the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA). "We're concerned about the capability of operators to conduct non-destructive testing (NDT) of these materials," said Dave Hayes, of ALPA's A380 Project Team. "If you hit them with a catering truck, which happens all the time in the real world, what have you damaged?" Hayes said ALPA is interested in what NDT methods are going to be assigned to the operator, and which are relegated to the manufacturer, and under what rules. "These are questions we're going to be asking other manufacturers who intend to use composite materials in their airplanes. Some of these materials are fairly exotic and require using sophisticated imaging techniques for NDT."

Apparently they do have some kind of expoxy built in for this, but I'm not entirely convinced. It is supposed to make impact damage less likely to occur and prevent it from spreading [weird considering conventionally its the fibres that stop crack propogation, it can delaminate between sheets] - no mention of it making any impact damage that has occurred visible.

edit to add 'ex' tags

[edit on 18-7-2006 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
as usual UAV-obsessed Mike got there first.

lol Is this another Mike?

Anyway Im surprised you missed the (pseudo) bigger news.

"The UK Ministry of Defence will launch a new unmanned combat air vehicle (UCAV) technology demonstration programme within the next few weeks, according to BAE Systems. The company will head an industry team including Qinetiq, Rolls-Royce and Smiths, which will inform MoD planning into the potential future acquisition and operation of offensive unmanned air vehicles."

www.flightglobal.com...

I've had information from some sources that there might be something announced tomorrow but whether it's directly to do with that I don't know.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I've read about this UCAV demonstrator too but do you think perhaps that we might have missed the bus on this one as the Neuron and Barrakuda have been active programmes for quite a while now. Although Germany is also trying to launch a new collaborative UCAV project with Sweden and Italy.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
you know me, if it ain't got a pretty picture in the article it goes in one ear and out the other. Good to see you still about Mike - did you get pick up any news from Parc Abbbbwelshwhatnot UAV forum?

[edit on 18-7-2006 by planeman]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
No Neuron and Barracuda are not far ahead in fact Barracuda could be said to be behind. Its design is more conventional and it doesn't really demonstrate much that hasn't been done on British UAVs dating back to 2003.

Neuron only really got underway this year; the main contract to begin design proper was only signed in February. Though work has been going on since around 2004 to some degree, it has been slowed significantly by the various contract/participation negotiations that were going on. The first flight will be in 2011.

UK firms have been working since early 2005 with a risk reduction contract being signed sometime that year. Assuming that the news is correct then a first flight can be expected in 2010 (the UK programme is to run for four years).

The UK also has a lot of experience in the specific technologies surrounding UCAVs, in particular signature management technologies and autonomy, more so than either the Neuron partners or Germany in my opinion. We've been putting money into UCAVs since 1997 and have spent a substantial amount and done a lot of work.

The Mod has been forced to go it alone with this programme because it didn't join in with Neuron or the X-45 when they could and Barracuda is a bit of a none option in my opinion. This is definitely a blessing though, when it comes to discussing an operational UCAV in 2015 the UK will be the only nation outside the US with the full set of skills and that will no doubt pay dividends.

Planeman - Nothing that stick out in my mind, I think there might have been a few tidbits about ASTRAEA and such. I'll take a look at my saved articles and emails etc and see if there's anything interesting though.

[edit on 18-7-2006 by Mike_A]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Is there any new information (esp. a picture, model, ...) of the new Agusta-Westland A.149 available ????

Cheers, Deino

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
For all those lucky enough to be there....

Name the OVT Maneuver and win a ride!

[edit on 18-7-2006 by Colt40Five]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
can i ask what the v22 is? this is the first i have seen it and would like to know more this thread is useless without pictures! We had our airshow over the weekend too but a british 50's plane and pilot crashed while leaving the show for california.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

DAY ONE

Orion HALL UAV mock-up unveiled
Aurora Flight Sciences has unveiled a full-scale mock-up of a hydrogen-fuelled long-endurance unmanned air system (UAS) that it is developing in collaboration with Boeing's Phantom Works.
[more here]

First Bahraini Hawk 129 handed over
The first Hawk 129 advanced jet trainer for the Royal Bahrain Air Force was handed over at the Farnborough International Air Show.
[more here]

Lockheed Martin eyes India as source of revenue growth
Lockheed Martin has identified India as a source of additional growth, adding that Washington and New Delhi’s pending Civil Nuclear Initiative is a prerequisite to “potential defence trade opportunities” and future partnerships.
[more here]

Lockheed Martin executive calls for stronger US government engagement with defence industry
Reinvigorated government and industry partnerships are needed to ensure the US maintains a healthy defence industrial base capable of supporting US global interest, according to a senior Lockheed Martin executive.
[more here]

Senior US executive warns of "gathering support" for protectionism on both sides of the Atlantic
Lockheed Martin Chairman Robert Stevens has warned that "protectionism may be gathering support" both in the EU and the US.
[more here]

EADS, DARE join forces for missile warning system development
EADS Defence Electronics has signed a strategic co-operative agreement with India's Defence Avionics Research Establishment for the joint development of a missile warning system for the Indian Air Force.
[more here]

Medevac upgrade for Swedish Super Pumas
Three Super Puma helicopters of the Swedish Air Force are to be upgraded to medical evacuation configuration.
[more here]

Ribbon cutting marks opening of US-International Pavilion at the 2006 Farnborough Airshow
The ribbon cutting opening the largest ever US-International Pavilion at the Farnborough Airshow took place at 1000 h local on 17 July, with Tom Kallman of Kallman Worldwide making the opening remarks.
[more here]

A400M first flight remains on schedule for 2007
Airbus Military remains on track for the first flight of the A400M airlift aircraft by the end of 2007 as activity on the project moves rapidly forward.
[more here]

Eurocopter seeks partner on ‘super lift’ helicopter development
Eurocopter is looking to find a partner to jointly work to develop a ‘super lift’ helicopter for France and Germany’s armed forces from 2020.
[more here]

UK reviews airlift mix
Senior Royal Air Force (RAF) officers have launched a review of their ‘airlift mix’ to allow them to establish a clear plan for managing the introduction into service of new aircraft and the withdrawal of old platforms.
[more here]

EADS expresses frustration on its UK Future Puma proposal
EADS executives have expressed frustration that the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) has not yet made a decision on proposals to enhance its battlefield transport helicopter fleet by leasing EC225/725s.
[more here]

FSTA clears US hurdle
Efforts to move the UK’s delayed FSTA project towards contract award accelerated last month.
[more here]

EADS urges more military space spending from UK
Jobs would be lost unless the UK space mission is "revamped progressively", the chief executive of the satellite arm of EADS has warned.
[more here]

DAY TWO

UK chooses BAE Systems to provide Nimrod replacement
UK Defence Secretary Des Browne on 18 July announced that the full production contract for 12 Nimrod MRA.4 maritime patrol aircraft to replace the Nimrod MR.2 has been awarded to BAE Systems.
[more here]

Raytheon unveils "multi-mission" version of T-6B
Raytheon Aircraft Company has unveiled a proposed multi-mission version of its T-6B basic trainer aircraft with upgraded cockpit protection, Link 16 datalink and sensor payload options.
[more here]

Northrop Grumman and Selex seal DIRCM partnership
Northrop Grumman and Selex Sensors and Airborne Systems have further strengthened their partnership in the field of Directional Infrared Countermeasure (DIRCM) systems.
[more here]

US and UK poised to launch combat ID acquisition programmes
The US Army Marine Corps Board's endorsement of the findings of Exercise ‘Urgent Quest’ may pave the way for combat ID acquisition programmes in the US and UK.
[more here]

Saab congratulates itself on "fantastic" last six months
Saab has heralded the first half of 2006 as "fantastic", adding that the acquisition of Ericsson Microwave Systems (EMS) will have an effect “on the rest of the company’s future”.
[more here]

Thales selects Barco for Belgian Air Force C-130 electronic warfare upgrade
Barco has been selected to provide cockpit head-down displays as part of the electronic warfare (EW) upgrade of Belgian Air Force C-130 aircraft.
[more here]

JSF technology transfer issues resolved, says senior US official
The senior official in charge of the US-led programme to design a next-generation fighter jet says that agreements have been reached with all eight partner countries on technology transfer.
[more here]

Ultra wins UK Typhoon pod deal
UK Royal Air Force (RAF) Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft will be equipped with Israel’s Rafael Armaments Development Authority Litening airborne laser targeting pod from 2008.
[more here]

Russians offer MiG-31s to Middle Eastern customers
MiG and Russian defence export agency Rosboronexport are proposing to supply MiG-31 fighters to a number of Middle Eastern countries.
[more here]

USMC officials sound bullish note on Osprey
Continuing mechanical and reliability problems with the MV-22 Osprey did not prevent senior US Marine Corps (USMC) officials from offering unwavering support for the helicopter during a press conference at the Farnborough Air Show on 17 July.
[more here]

US Navy earmarks funding for JSOW Block III
The US Navy (USN) has earmarked funding for the development of the Block III variant of the Raytheon AGM-154 JSOW, Jane's has learned
[more here]

LogicaCMG to unite UK armed forces’ C2 systems under single network
LogicaCMG has been chosen as preferred bidder for the UK’s the Joint Command and Control Support Programme in a novel procurement process.
[more here]

Two competitors for Navy UCAS requirement prepare for contract notice
Boeing is facing a team comprising Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin in anticipation of the USN issuing a request for proposals to build its Unmanned Combat Aerial System (Navy UCAS) at some time between this month (July 2006) and early 2007.
[more here]

Sentinel/ASTOR makes public debut at Farnborough
The latest aircraft for the UK Royal Air Force - the Raytheon Sentinel R.1 - made its public debut at the Farnborough Air Show as part of the UK’s ASTOR system.
[more here]

[edit on 18-7-2006 by planeman]

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
any info on which countries MAKO is offering the MiG-31 to and what version? Iran, Syria, Libya and Yeman seem like the obvious candidates - Algeria seems to have gone for Su-30 and Rafale (?) so I guess they are off the map.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DickDasterdly

I was surprised to see the X47B on display (not a mock up - the real thing). I thought that program had been cancelled.

Dick,
The JUCAS program was cancelled which has severely disadvantaged Boeing's X-45C, but the Northrop-Grumman X-47 program is still being funded by the US Navy.

Originally posted by Deino
Is there any new information (esp. a picture, model, ...) of the new Agusta-Westland A.149 available ????

Cheers, Deino

Deino,
I don't generally follow rotor craft but I think this is it...

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurlDeino,
I don't generally follow rotor craft but I think this is it...

Thanks for Yor reply, but this is a A.129 Mangusta and not theA.149 which is based on the AB.139.

Deino

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Here it is !!!

www.agustawestland.com...

Deino

top topics

<<   2 >>

join