It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Republican can Reach out to Democrats?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
... and, which Democrat can reach out to Republicans?

When I was a kid, we had Presidents who were recognized as statesmen and who didn't rely on a single party to get elected. Today, the two old parties are so incredibly polarized that it's almost impossible for either party to nominate a person who would resonate with all voters.

Part of this is because the nomination is won and lost by appealing to the party activists: in the Democrat party, it's radical anti-war leftists, in the Republican Party, it's the radical Christian fundamentalists and Mideast hawks. For that reason, it'd be hard for an individual who could reach out to the general population of both parties -- like Joe Lieberman or John McCain -- to even get the nomination.

Is there any politicain around -- or on your radar -- who would appeal to both liberals and conservatives and yet might have a decent chance of getting the nomination?

posted on Jul, 14 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
McCain first comes to mind on the republican side, and Leiberman I think many republicans would find to be quite acceptable, even conservative republicans could be comfortable with him.

Clinton is another one, as bizzare as that might seem at first, she supported the war, and has walked the fine line of being a war supporter while still having the support of those opposed to the war. She can make a certain claim at being a centrist to some republicans.

posted on Jul, 17 2006 @ 04:18 AM
link   
IMH Powell and Giuliani would bridge the great political dived that exists in America. To people who arent Americans Powell gives the impresion that he is in touch with the real world for the lack of a better description. Giuliani like Powell is respected by by both sides of the political spectrum.

Clinton would be a disaster If the dems let her make a run at the oval office. Much could depend on Clintons spin machine if she was to run an "USA First " campaign that took the focus away from the likes of Iraq she might be in with a shot. She would have to get many of her partys supporters to like her first thou.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The author is correct that the characteristics that help one secure the nomination of one party are at strict odds with the characteristics for the other party. But I think that most Americans vote somewhere in the middle.

So the characteristics that appeal to most voters, imo, are:

1. Strong domestic policy
  2. Strong national security policy
  3. More liberal social policy on things like marriage
  4. Fiscally conservative

Not necessarily in that order.

I think there is a general feeling that domestic policy, such as job growth, has been somewhat ignored. I also think that many (including myself) think we are way behind in developing alternative energy sources.

Giuliani fits many of the above, incliding being somewhat liberal when it comes to social policy.

I just hope the next election doesn't turn into a single issue election -"terrorism". Although it is an extremely important topic.

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
So you think that Giulani is enough of a 'centrist' to appeal to the mainstream voter? Do you thnk he could win the nomination? What are his weak points and strng points, in your opinion?

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
He's for gay marriage, and legalized abortion. I think those will be considered less inflammatory in upcoming elections, with the result being he will gain more votes from the liberals than he will lose from the conservatives. Mainstream voters haven't changed their individual minds on those matters so much as they finally are realizing that some things are nobody's business but your own.

He is seen as tough on crime, evidenced by the way he brought down the crime rate in NYC. He's seen as a leader in a crisis by the way he acted on 9/11.

He's for gun control, which means the NRA will lobby heavily against him. And many Americans are against gun control, including myself.

He'd be from a very powerful Blue state, which would make it very difficult to get the native son vote. But if he managed to get that vote, he'd probably win the whole cigar.

He's weak on foreign policy.

Can he win the nomination? I'd say he's among the top 5 contenders right now.

Can he win the election? Depends on his opposition. It should be interesting, though.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My question is why would Republicans reach out to Democrats?

The Republicans goal should be to destroy liberalism, and to change peoples hearts and minds. Conforming just to get Democrats to like you is a recipe for disaster.

BTW, why should winners change? Shouldn't that be the option for losers?

The only answer for Republicans is to become more conservative and get rid of losers like McCain, Snowe, Chaffee and other RINOs.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Democrats+ Republicans= turds. Devil worshipping demons, all of them. You guys are talking about fence sitters, well, when they get elected, they're likely to fall to the "other" side...the side you dont want.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Not sure about the democrat side, but John McCain would definatly reach out the democrats...he seems more tolerable that most right wingers...

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
McCain won't get elected. He sold his soul to the machine.

Hillary Clinton will not get elected. Too many people out there just don't like or trust her.

I think Al Gore has the best shot right now at being the most electable. He'd be a good president. He's old school, posesses every qualification and has thrown off the shackles that bound him throughout his political life.

On the left, Russ Feingold would be another excellent candidate. There is no one in congress, save Texas Congressman Ron Paul (R.).

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
As to the original question.. Which Republican can Reach out to Democrats?

The Republican field right now is pathetically weak. There really is no Republican (in shape to run) who could just waltz in and take the nomination.

top topics

join