It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US vetoes UN resolution urging end to Israeli attacks in Gaza...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
According to Drudge. No link yet.

Wow, this is just going to make things worse. AFAIK, it didn't even punish anyone. Simply said, "Please stop fighting."

I didn't think it was possible for our reputation to get any worse in the eyes of the middle eastern countries. I guess I was wrong.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
is this confirmed, as this would look bad.

www.jpost.com...

[edit on 13-7-2006 by andy1033]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Drudgereport is usually spot on. I've come to rely on them much more than most MSM.

www.breitbart.com...

Edit: Link added

[edit on 13-7-2006 by Cutwolf]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well they have stated Israel has a right to defend itself.

"Israel has a right to defend herself," Bush said."

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 13-7-2006 by Denied]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

I just added that link to my last post.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

This is not the first time this has happened.

America ALWAYS vetoes resolutions that chastises Israel but makes NO MENTION of the role Palestinians have played in the tensions.

America’s position is...

Yeah Israel can do things different to help things out over there but, you know what? The Palestinians are not completely innocent of any wrong doing either.

America said in advance they would veto this resolution unless there was some mention of the 1,500 plus missiles the Palestinians have fired into Israel civilian population areas since Hamas was voted in as the Palestinians Government.

America’s position has always been “Chastise BOTH OF THEM and I will vote YES.”

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Vetoing a cease fire would be disappointing? Essentially, the UN saying,

"Israel, stop fighting back and either accept that three of your soldiers are going to be killed or else release every prisioner you have an hope you get some bodies in exchange"

Veto well used, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The resolution seemed pretty balanced to me:

The United States vetoed a UN draft resolution that would have called for an end to Israeli attacks and "disproportionate use of force" in the Gaza Strip as well as for the release of a kidnapped Israeli soldier.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
CutWolf,
maybe it has to do with this that no word was said about Hizballah...
even more the attack on Israel was yesterday...no resolution on this one...but when Israel responds,The Arab World is really "peace loving"

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There was also no mention of stopping an attack on Lebanon.

This resolution was directed at the Gaza situation only. The Lebanon situation could be addressed in another resolution.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
My fault...
change Hizballah with Hamas

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I must say I completely support Israel on this issue. as President Bush said "Israel has a right to defend herself." I dont know that anyone is shocked about the US veto, we all know the US will support Israel. I heard the Egyptian ambassador walked out when the US vetoed. Granted this will make things much more complicated in the Middle East, but if this resolution had passed, who thinks Israel would have complied? I sure as heck dont.

[edit on 13-7-2006 by nb25]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
and if you want more...since Israel withdrawal from Gaza 1200 rockets and mortar shells on the israeli "military" cities...No resolution either...

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I agree with Israel on this issue, also.

However, I don't see the reason for vetoing a bill that says "Israel stop attacking, Hamas return the soldier."

Thats what this is about, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
I agree with Israel on this issue, also.

However, I don't see the reason for vetoing a bill that says "Israel stop attacking, Hamas return the soldier."

Thats what this is about, isn't it?

Because the Israelis and Hamas arent going to come to an agreement anyways. So no use in making one for them that either wont abide by anyway. Violence is the law of the land, even in our "civilized" societies today. This veto was well used.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
How does the UN meet so quickly over this but we cant DRAG anyone to the table over N. Korea or Iran? Serves them right that the US vetoed this when we cant even get Russia or China to listen to us on other um important issues.

join