It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"White House" withheld about major operations!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
In a stunning rebuke from one of thier own, Rep. Hoekstra a republican supporter of the White house, a letter was sent to the President informing him that he was required to brief congress on the programs they are running. This is the Reuters news article. The White houses only comment has been that they will continue to work with Rep. Hoekstra.

today.reuters.com
Rep. Pete Hoekstra, a Michigan Republican who chairs the House Intelligence Committee, said on Fox News Sunday he had written a four-page to President George W. Bush in May warning him that the failure to disclose the intelligence activities to Congress may be a violation of the law.

In doing so, he confirmed a story that first ran in Sunday editions of the New York Times.

"I take it very, very seriously otherwise I would not have written the letter to the president," Hoekstra said.

"This is actually a case where the whistle-blower process was working appropriately and people within the intelligence community brought to my attention some programs that they believed we had not been briefed on. They were right," said Hoekstra, a close ally of Bush.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In an attempt to be non-partisan in regards to this issue this is something that has needed to be done for the past two decades. Presidents have been abusing thier executive powers since Carter. President GW Bush is just the latest representation of Executive abuse of power.

With that said, this administration has a "penchant" for secrecy and deception imho. I am glad to see that the conservatives in this government are finally willing to stop rubber stamping this administration.

Finally, it seems possible that the current trend in Washington may be coming to a stop....read this article its well worth the read.

[edit on 9-7-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 9 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The War Powers Resolution serves as a reminder for the potential of abuse of Presidential Power to make war and so does the 'presidential power of secrecy'. However, when a president's role on foreign policy is challenged that is usually when they use such tactics. These actions allow the Pres to advance foreign policy goals w/out ethical and constitutional methods being raised. And most of all it allows his policies to exist even when it lacks the support of the majority. In other words, he's denying the people presidential accountability and is breeding more extremism by not including his tactics w/in the democratic debate. I sincerely hope that his reasoning for this is good and not evil. But, it's hard to be objective on that because of the secrecy of this administration. I just wonder if we know all there is to know about why our President has chosen this route.

new topics

join