It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider-proofing your home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Does anybody have any helpful tips or suggestions as to how I can spider-proof my house ?

I am currently living in Japan (only recently moved here) and as the temp soars more spiders feel free to wander in the house. We have even had nests laid in the house and hatch leaving us the grief of having to deal with getting rid of them and also freaking out any time something moves lol My husband is arachnaphobic and I don't care for them at all.

Being an Australian native I have come to realize we have nothing on Japan in terms of spiders in size, quantity and ugliness (lol) ... and they are everywhere!

We have insect-fogged the house a couple of times to no avail.

So my question is can I repel them from wanting to enter ? And with the way houses are built out here in Japan I understand it's harder than usual as the houses are poorly built out here and I have tried the vinegar spray and other home remedies but ANY useful advice is appreciated!

[edit on 7-7-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I am so sorry for you. I really, really hate spiders!

Well, after looking at many disgusting pictures of these creatures on Wikipedia, all I can really say is to go around your house and get rid of any webs, including in the trees. Not much help there.

I'm not sure where you get them, but they do have these little "boxes" I guess you could call them, that are supposed to give off sound waves that are silent to humans and pets but repell things like bugs and mice. I have one myself, but I got it to try and ward off bats (to no avail). Maybe they do work, I have a few stray bugs that wander in here and there, but I can't garantee it.

Since you mentioned the houses are poorly built in Japan in your area, maybe you could go around your house with a caulk gun and try and seal up any holes or cracks they might be coming in from. It probably won't help a whole lot, but it's worth a shot.

My last suggestion is to get some really, really potent bug repellant spray. You know, the really toxic stuff you can't spray around children or pets- and just spray a ton around your house a few times a week.

Wait-I guess you could call an exterminator...

Really, though, spiders aren't all THAT bad. They're probably keeping even more bugs from coming into your house.

Hope that helps!

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pink_Cola
I'm not sure where you get them, but they do have these little "boxes" I guess you could call them, that are supposed to give off sound waves that are silent to humans and pets but repell things like bugs and mice.

Something like this:

www.seemans.com/
Pest Repeller - Goodbye Spiders!
Many houses seems to attract spiders - . Fortunately, our battery powered ultrasonic spider repeller (main picture) emits an inaudible but effective discouragement to arachnids and spiders. Moths too are deterred by our battery repeller, switchable between moths or spiders - one for moths and one for spiders. It hangs easily in the cupboards they seem to prefer or under furniture, beds etc, This battery model runs for 3 months on one PP3 battery

A quick search of google gave me a quite a few of these "anti-bug boxes" to pick from, some more expensive than others.

I find the underside of a shoe is quite effective against spiders and general creepy crawlies though, plus its cheaper

[edit on 7-7-2006 by Prometheus James]

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
lol yes the shoe is cheaper and readily available but then all I'd be doing all day is chasing spiders
lol

Thank U Pink, I don't have a phobia or anything but I can't deal with this many, they're driving me insane!
We don't have a single tree or plant (yeah this house is all concrete and all houses are built right on the street here *sigh*) so that's not a problem.

I know for a fact that the neighbour's who have a junk yard going are only worsening the situation as they literally have a junk yard out the front of their house (it's disgusting, I can't imagine how anybody could live as they do) So I don't know what to do. I gotta learn Japanese more quickly so I can complain! lol

Wish we were getting our cat soon *sigh*

Guess I'll just stick to using Raid as room spray and OFF! as everyday body spray (We have those little tiny flies that I think are fruit flies (?) also, they bite me all over, not to mention the mosquitoes here too ... I just wanna go home!
)

I will search for one of those bug boxes
Thanks again guys

[edit on 7-7-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
A glock 17, a paper cup and sandals. I really fncking hate camel spiders.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Call the bug repellent guy and he will spray your house so bugs wont come in.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Panzeroth
A glock 17, a paper cup and sandals. I really fncking hate camel spiders.

www.youtube.com...

wasnt really a glock when i went on holiday but was fun hitting one

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Pink_Cola

Lemon oil - I've been told spiders hate it! I have rubbed some on door-surrounds and have yet to see anything cross over them ... if you have any space behind kitchen cupboards that they could lurk in, which can't be blocked off, try tin foil - another thing they hate! I am a real arachnophobe and if you find any other ideas that work, please post them!
JaneyRob

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
They sell spider/bug repellant/death spray in stores right next to the Raid roach killer spray. In summer here spiders think they can just come on in and take a load off. This spray around the borders of windows and doors, and also along the baseboards of your house really does the trick and it lasts about a month or two. Here they sell it at Walmart and grocery stores.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yeah if you can afford to have your home sprayed for bugs that will work for a while but its almost impossible to keep them out cuz the babys are darn near microscopic. They come in tiny and grow up on you.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Vaccum regularly. You can sprinkle bug pesticide pellets around the outside of your home and water in. I don't recommend spray inside the home.. best to get them before they enter. Calling a company is risky because you don't know what they are putting in your house.
Natural ways are the best ways imo.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
In general you don't want to kill spiders unless they're a mass problem in your home. Usually getting rid of the ones you see will remove the other ones. They tend to flock for lesser of a word together. When they see others missing they tend to leave the area.

Spiders are good for the environment. Most are harmless and feed on those bugs that are harmful. Spiders get a bad rap from fairy tales etc. Her is a way to remove them individually.

1. Go get yourself a slick drinking glass. Plastic doesn't work so well, so use a glass.
2. Get a piece of paper.
3. Put the glass ahead of the spider's path and put the paper behind it.
4. Use the paper to herd the spider into the glass.
5. As soon as the spider enters your glass, turn it upright. The spider should not be able to climb the slick walls, but just in case, put your piece of paper over the glass
6. Take the spider in the glass outside, uncover the glass and invert it over some nice shrub or grass and watch while the spider slides right out.

Tips

* Be gentle and don't rush the spider when herding it into the glass. It's as freaked out as you are. Imagine what you look like to it!
* Keeping your house neat and not having a lot of clutter on your floors will help discourage spiders from living in your house to begin with.

[edit on 16-9-2008 by MrMysticism]

join