It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Challenge Idea Suggestions

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I'm going to "third" your idea, it just seems so timely for ATS.

Clearly, people are very interested in the "End of the World", and we might see a creative outpouring like never before!

JR

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

I don't care if it's creating a story about the missing sock conspiracy! At this point any contest would be great!

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

Yeah, I guess it has been a while. I haven't been doing much, but sometimes if there is something to motivate me, I get off my behind.

I agree, it's high time for a contest!

JR

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Been thinking about the next SS contest, its too hot out to really do anything and the AC makes sitting here pretty comfortable, perhaps its time? Perhaps something to do with weather in 2012? I would like a real alien theme personally but with all the predictions lately, even something along that line would be interesting.

edit on 19-6-2011 by antar because: Perhaps?

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Desert Dawg

1000 word limits
Actually word limits are quite liberating... you can break your story down into pieces and minis... the first 250 words is your first act, the middle 500 is your second, and the last 250 is your third act...
You all know story mechanics, no?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I just finished playing an ATS game and it gave me an idea for a short story contest. Our submissions should have to deal with a time-traveling paradox and how our characters deal with it.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cameoii
I just finished playing an ATS game and it gave me an idea for a short story contest. Our submissions should have to deal with a time-traveling paradox and how our characters deal with it.

Originally posted by Cameoii

That sounds like a fun type of Science Fiction sub-genre to write about. I like to think I am a good writer after reading quite alot on the subject, mainly to do with script writing and indie-film making, so I have a good basic grounding in plot, character and story development.

I have read a few time travel stories and watched films like Donnie Darko and Back to the Future. Is there a final submission date and what are the criteras for judging the winners, assuming there is a First Place, Second Place etc.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Please ! It is almost Halloween for all that is sacred!!! I MISS reading the fantastic short stories by members!!!

Any chance we will have any more contests? Whats going on?

How about a 24hr deadline for the stories to be submitted?
edit on 11-10-2011 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I like the idea of a deadline. It would be a short, short story contest! I hope that if there ever is one, it's at least a couple of days, as I don't get to check ATS every day.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Cameoii

Well there would have to be an announcement thread. I take it you miss the challenges as well?

With so many new members it would be great to see what talent is out there and to give them the opportunity to receive writer status as well as spread their wings.

Even though I often joined in without as much as an honorable mention it did help me find that creativity inside which helped to balance the troubles in the world we so often read about here at ATS. And in doing so gave me a healthy sense of pride in my ability to write something I could be proud of.

There have often been stories which blew my mind and even though I have never judged a contest it was fun being an armchair judge and seeing how close I could guess to the actual winners.

It is a very positive entertaining and non serious part of ATS.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
1960s coffee shop 'beatnik poetry reading'.
(which of course isn't really poetry)
It'd be very cool.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I have been there and loved it.

Dusty wine bottles slathered in candle wax
forever glued to stained red checked table cloth
Pine floors that creak
beards that speak
in the rhythm of tapping toes
complaining of earthly woes
Or love
Cars
Squirrels and cattle beasts
lowing, slowing, bestowing, ongoing
going
going
gone...

Ode to 2012

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Reading through the entries on the Ruler Of The World WRC I had a thought (which I posted)... Find the winner. Judge well. Then have the next WRC be the opposition's response to the scenario.

You are the leader of the rebellion. The wars have ended, [WINNER] has installed him/herself as our new Dictator/God/Flying Spaghetti Monster....but we must rise up. We must throw off the chains that so newly bind us!

What will you do?

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arrowmancer
Reading through the entries on the Ruler Of The World WRC I had a thought (which I posted)... Find the winner. Judge well. Then have the next WRC be the opposition's response to the scenario.

You are the leader of the rebellion. The wars have ended, [WINNER] has installed him/herself as our new Dictator/God/Flying Spaghetti Monster....but we must rise up. We must throw off the chains that so newly bind us!

What will you do?

Now there's a brilliant idea. Make it kind of the underground leader movement in direct response to the dictator that has already been written about.

Love it.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Not a bad idea at all.

Just 'May' work

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join