It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican Presidential Election Marred by Controversy!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
In an election eerily reminiscent of the last U.S. presidential election mexico's presidential election was won by a razor thin margin by the conservative pro- U.S. Felipe Calderon. The results of the election will be challenged by Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador of the Democratic Revolution Party

www.timesonline.co.uk
Mexico's electoral crisis deepened today after a recount separated the two leading candidates by less than 0.5 per cent of the vote and the leftist, Andres Manuel López Obrador, called his supporters onto the streets to protest against the result.

With 99.48 per cent of the vote reviewed by election officials, Felipe Calderon, a pro-business former energy secretary, led Señor López Obrador, a former mayor of Mexico City, by 0.41 per cent, or just 170,000 of the 41 million votes cast on Sunday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

the leftist candidate has urged on his supporters to gather in Mexico City, the country's capital, this weekend, fuelling fears that he will mobilise massive protests that could lead to violence.

Obrador said he would challenge the result in Mexico's highest electoral court and that the results could not be accepted due to as Obrador puts it "lots of irregularities". given these comments and the narrow margin the likelihood that Mexico's electoral stalemate could drag on for months seems assured.

Obrador had led throughout the official count until he was overtaken by Mr Calderon with 97 per cent of the votes counted. And he has demanded that votes be recounted manually, ballot-by-ballot.

Odd that this election seems so much like another recent presidential election, just coincidence or is it a trend showing that a nearly perfect split in attitudes among voters is not only here in the U.S. but abroad also.

Related News Links:
www.channel3000.com

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
With all the controversy regarding the illegals streaming into the US, you would think this story would create more of a stir.
I see your link is from an Australian site. One wonders what is wrong with the American media.

I posted an earlier story about the Mexican presidential election and got little response from the ATS community.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
yes with the little regard that americans have for the illegals pouring in through the still unsecured border it would seem that we are primed and ready for the american union to come into play, I thought that this story would create way more stir than this also given the similarities between this and the bush/gore debacle.

I guess the warning issued by ATS about political infighting has got everyone a little nervous about even discussing political current events so I guess that this was poor timing for this story to break

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Its also been noted that, with this mexican election, conservatives are in the executive for the US, Canada, and Mexico, iow, all of North America.

Of course, 'conservative' would be interpreted widely in that statement.

I am curious as to what Obrador is saying was specifically irregular.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This could mean big problems if the rally the left called for turns into a series of riots.

As for the American Media covering it, they have but mostly in the SW were its impact would be felt first, also it was not until today that it was still too close to count, however now it appears they have a winner.

Yaho o News

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
possibly votes not being counted same as the florida absentee votes that supposedly got thrown out that would be my guess nydan, the margin was 170,000 votes which seems like alot to be disputing

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I wonder how Mexicans cast their ballots. Specifically, if they use Diebold or similar machines. And how stringently do they enforce voter eligibility?

Imo, calling for demonstrations is purely irresponsible. Violence could ensue, and it may tend to drive more people over the border. I'm aware that people have the right to demonstrate, at least in the US, but in this case it seems like the objective is to cause a rift between the voters.

But that observation is premature, since we don't know the nature of the alleged voting irregularities.

I've seen TV coverage of the election, so the MSM is not completely silent on the issue.

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I wonder how Mexicans cast their ballots. Specifically, if they use Diebold or similar machines. And how stringently do they enforce voter eligibility?

From the accounts I have read all votes were cast using paper ballots. I assume that explains the delay in the counting because it takes time to hand count.

new topics

top topics

join