It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teach me all about the kinds of metal!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Since we're on the subject of glorious metal genres...

what would you guy's consider my solo project: www.myspace.com...

It's kinda thrashy...but has the epic power metal feel...although, it's gets kinda weirdly industrial at times...
I guess you would just call it Progressive Metal? Is that what you guys would classify Dream Theater, Symphony X, or Andromeda as?

Oh, and for the original poster. If you only want a small collection, but want ALL the types of metal out there...there's only one band to turn to:
Vintersorg. He's amazing (as well as the session musicians he gets to play for him)

[edit on 7/8/2006 by Arcane Demesne]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Nu-Metal is not a valid form of Heavy Metal. It's more of a joke than anything else. It's not true Metal, and I suggest staying away from it.

Good Thrash Metal bands to start on are:Exodus, Megadeth, Testament, Overkill, Destruction....then later on try out Artillery, Heathen, Paradox, and whatever else man. There are too many bands to name..haha. If you have ANY questions on Metal...feel freeto U2U me. I love talking about this stuff because most people don't understand what Metal really is, and what bands seperate into.

Most people that like to label bands do it completely wrong.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   
also check out DRI. everything from crossover on is good metal. before that it's thrashy punk.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey_Mysterio

But i really can't distinguish them. If someone could tell me.. whats are the different kinds of metal and most importantly...what i want to know is how do you classify/identify or make distinction as to which is death or black or melodic or symphonic or thrash.. and the other kinds of metal?!

My advice is dont try and classify them, listen to what ever sounds good to you. All these different genres and styles is a load of crap. It's all metal, some good some not so good depending on your tastes, the record company's use the divisions caused by the splitting of metal into genres as a marketing tool. Dont let them con you, if someone asks what you like tell them you like metal, simple.

If its hard fast loud or all of the above its metal.

:bnghd: :bash:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Except Nu-Metal bands and Metalcore bands really aren't Metal.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hey dude good to see you again, yeh i agree about the nu-metal tag but i think there are bands that have been pigeonholed as nu-metal or metal core that really shouldnt be. This is why i have such a problem with this whole Genre thing.

Sure there are always going to be bands that polarize opinion with there 'style' or gimmick, but thats always been the case, it would be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same stuff. Like i said to you previously i like Lamb of God, that doesnt make me metalcore cause i like all sorts of other s**t as well from Tool to Kreator and everything in between.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Oh, I'm not labelling you dude. But you can tell that everyone likes a specific style more than others. More often than not, at least. What I'm saying is that....the people that "label" bands wrongly don't know very much, and I usually don't give a # about them at all. You can tell when someone knows their stuff or not.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
whattay you's guys think about crotchduster, aye? that there is some high quality entertainment.

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
#1: Metal rules all.
#2: Listen to these bands:

• Mendeed
  • Children of Bodom
  • Metallica
  • Scar Symmetry
  • Megadeth
  • Killswitch Engage
  • Meshuggah
  • Mushroomhead
  • Opeth
  • Pantera
  • Shadows Fall
  • Slayer
  • Soulfly
  • Symphony X
  • Dream Theater
  • American Headcharge
  • As I Lay Dying
  • Chimaira
  • Caliban

That should get you started.

A couple of my favourite genres:

Black Metal = Usually really effing fast, blast beating madness. Bands such as, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir (although they're melodic black metal), Emporer etc. Usually found in Sweden/Norway.

Death metal = Quite upbeat, angry, and demands to kick your arse. Bands such as, Scar Symmetry, InFlames, etc.

Metal/core = Obviously, bits of metal and hardcore are thrown in. Bands such as, Killswitch Engage, etc, and I think Mendeed may fit into this genre, although they have elements of nearly all genres in their songs.

[edit on 11-8-2006 by xeroxed88]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join