It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WINDOWS ME (Memory Eater)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I have heard that windows ME has a flaw where after you exit a program some or all of the memory that program was using is not freed up, this would explain why my ME machine crashes after its been running for a while.

Anyone heard of this?

Can it be fixed with a patch? (cant find much, well anything, on win updates).

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Its true, and it can be fixed by downloading a system resources freeing tool.

It happens on all the OS's unless you clean the caches out.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Does it happen with lunix OS or the MAC OS as they seem to go on and on for ages, although when they crash the go in a big way.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I recommend FreeMem Pro.

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I use ME and find making sure I delete all my caches and running speed disk helps no end .

posted on Oct, 25 2003 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kobyoshimaru
Does it happen with lunix OS or the MAC OS as they seem to go on and on for ages, although when they crash the go in a big way.

I don't think Linux or Mac does that, as they're much more efficient and powerful systems than Windoze. Depending on what you do on your comp, you might consider making a switch. You'll be surprised, there's not much difference in the selection of programs.

I use Windows XP, but I use a MemTurbo to free up RAM.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 12:10 AM
link   
ME is probably the buggiest version of windows alive, save maybe for the longhorn betas that have been leaked. I can definately say that XP Pro and 2000 Professional dont suffer from memory problems as much, and are definately alot more reliable.

As for switching to Linux or another *nix OS, the problem is hardware compatability, espcially if you happen to use USB or off-brand hardware.

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Linux uses memory in almost a completely different way. It put's almost all frequent accessed/paged/written/read files/programs it can into memory. So when most people see a graphical representation of their current memory usage they think that it's a memory hog. When it's actually extremely fast, due to it putting lots of things in memory. When it runs out of the physical memory i.e (512 megs of memory) it writes it to what's called the swap space on the hard drive. Kinda like Windows Virtual memory. The hardware compatability can be an issue sometimes. But with the newer distros, such as Red Hat, SuSe, Mandrake, they have AWESOME hardware support. If you wanna try Linux without having to install anything. Get a Knoppix distrobution. It runs all off of a single cd. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to try Linux. www.knoppix.net

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This urban legend is actualy true. If you simply "x" out of a program it eats up some memory. But if you use File then Exit it wont. The amount of space it takes up is pretty insignificant though. BTW alot of spam programs function off this memory, ever notice when you exit out of one pop up another one immidiatly appears, but if you right click and "close" you dont get any more pop-ups.

[Edited on 26-10-2003 by IndianaJoe]

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I use to use ME, now I use XP, I like XP a lot better.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yep, I'm cursed with ME at home for the moment. I want 2000 professional which is one of the best so far. ME does have this problem. I encounter it all the time. I have to clear the cache,cookies, temp files and then restart. It is a PITA, royally. I don't recommend it unless you want to play a horrible prank on your users.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:35 AM
link   
i agree with all of you who say xp is better than ME because it is
i dont know why windows released ME its go lots of bugs and program flaws bill gates should be slapped by a frozen trout.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Na....Bill Gates should be made to open up the windows source code, that would really p**s him off.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:46 AM
link   
i use 2000, which is, in my oppinion amazing with stability(recommend an upgrade).
but then...i'd move to linux anyday, if that option was available, sadly, i use scsi drives on a 2.2ghz intel, 256mb ATI photo effect card..drivers have been a huge pain to find for win2000 alone,dont even wanna think of the difficulties involving installing drivers onto an os i've never come across,linux for instance.(since the release of xp next to all hardware has been made solely compatible.)
then ofcourse, there is a good side of things for ME, you can run virtually any program compatible with windows

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by Cyrus]

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I can't stand ME, that's why my laptop is possessed...I'm trying to get the company to reload the damned thing with Windows 2000 or XP....

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
It happens on all the OS's unless you clean the caches out.

i haven't had it happen on windows 2000 advance server

i've also heard that windows ME doesn't even access all of your ram, especially if u have more than 2 sticks, i've no proof of this tho

[Edited on 27-10-2003 by banjoechef]

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:27 AM
link   
My personal recommendation is trashing the PC with windows ME on it, and running Redhat 7, 9, or Windows 2000. ME did nothing but crash while I was using it, no matter what I did.

posted on Oct, 27 2003 @ 08:33 AM
link   
the joys of Windows Major Errors
either switch to Red hat linux or windows 2k pro, ME is just a # OS

top topics

join