It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sky News and other media fear mongering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have just been watching Sky news and BBC news, and I have noticed that they have slowly over time started to become more and more like FOX news, Its constantly got red flashing “NEWS ALERT - WARNING WARNING” Just now it has warnings because of the heat wave here in the UK, warning people of health effects, and putting up emergency numbers to call if effected. I know its damn hot, and it can effect some people, but what’s with all this fear mongering??????

I expect this kind of thing with FOX news, as its agenda is obviously to terrify people for the Bush administration, but why is this happening here in the UK? It never used to be like this, every time I switch over to Sky News its ((((RED ALERT YOUR IN DANGER)))) always reminding me that something horrendous has happened.

I have also noticed Sky News is being put up on huge live screens in banks, and in main railway stations and airports, so people have to see it.

This all seemed to kick off after 9/11

Why do you think the media is constantly trying to petrify people more than they used to? Is it to keep people in the state of mind of frightened little sheep, so that people wont question what’s going on around us? And when we are terrified we will be begging "the powers that be" to bring in more and more laws to protect us and help us from all these scary evils around us. When In reality we are just allowing the government and those above the government to bring in that fascist totalitarian society just that little bit closer, that we seem to be heading towards?

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
so you can buy the global warming stuff easier.

yep i agree it is fearmongering, i never watch the news, i just get the news when i want it on the internet. watching the news everyday, would put everyone in just a hypnotic state, thats why i never watch it. i noticed it like you say after 911, when people just were glued to the sets, and it was just sort of brinwashing them.

its ok to watch the news now and again, but i would not watch it everyday. what you are descibing though sounds like the 1984(1950's version), where everywhere you go you never get away from tv.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I hear about its hot in Eupore all the time. But to compete with that, get an air conditioner. They make the house cool or buy fans. Doesnt most Europeans dont have air conditioning b/c its always cool there?

posted on Jul, 6 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I saw the exact same thing, and thought the exact same thing. It was a picture of Britain, bright red, with a big exclamation mark over it. With DANGER, and continual references to the deaths that occured last heat wave, all 3 of them. It's so pathetic and unneeded, just a bit of basic advise for the idiots would suffice i.e. Don't drink a bottle of vodka and fall asleep in the sun for 5 hours. It's just more attempts to make us scared of the 'impending global warming scare'. As mixed in with this 'DANGER YOU'RE ALL GUNNA DIE OF HEAT STROKE' report was details of how heat waves like this could happen every year in 15 years time, and is set to be a more regular thing from now on.

DANGER, YOU'RE ALL GUNNA DIE, AIDS, DEATH, STABBINGS, IRAQ, BOMBS, TERRORISTS.....DANGER, YOU'RE ALL GUNNA DIE, AIDS, DEATH, STABBINGS, IRAQ, BOMBS, TERRORISTS.....DANGER, YOU'RE ALL GUNNA DIE, AIDS, DEATH, STABBINGS, IRAQ, BOMBS, TERRORISTS.....DANGER, YOU'RE ALL GUNNA DIE, AIDS, DEATH, STABBINGS, IRAQ, BOMBS, TERRORISTS.....DANGER, YOU'RE ALL GUNNA DIE, AIDS, DEATH, STABBINGS, IRAQ, BOMBS, TERRORISTS.....DANGER, YOU'RE ALL GUNNA DIE, AIDS, DEATH, STABBINGS, IRAQ, BOMBS, TERRORISTS.....

Every day for ever....It's a form of subtle hypnosis, or not so subtle.

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faeden

Why do you think the media is constantly trying to petrify people more than they used to? Is it to keep people in the state of mind of frightened little sheep, so that people wont question what’s going on around us? And when we are terrified we will be begging "the powers that be" to bring in more and more laws to protect us and help us from all these scary evils around us. When In reality we are just allowing the government and those above the government to bring in that fascist totalitarian society just that little bit closer, that we seem to be heading towards?

Welcome to Blair's Britain, the sequel to Thatcher's Britain!

Where have you been? Under a rock?

posted on Jul, 7 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I have also noticed Sky News is being put up on huge live screens in banks, and in main railway stations and airports, so people have to see it.

In Manchester, where I am from, there is a massive TV screen outside in one of the main shopping areas with Sky news on constantly. You can be walking along having a pleasant day,then suddenly have frightening images of war, death and fear played out in front of your face.

This is why I dumped my TV, I wish they wouldn't force- feed me and my family.

The only time it didn't have Sky news on - And this is honestly true - it had a weird red 'Head' on it, some kind of pretend 'A.I.' looking down and around at the people as they walked around!! Totally freaked me out

posted on Jul, 18 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I have just been watching Sky news and BBC news, and I have noticed that they have slowly over time started to become more and more like FOX news...

Ask yourself "Who owns Fox News?", "Who owns Sky?", "Who's the owner's best friends?". Answer those questions and you'll know all you need to know!

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
The answer to Psyborg's question is the evil that manifests itself in human form known as Rupert Murdoch.
Yes the media do want you scared some of the time (like over terrorism in particular) because people unite around their leaders in times of fear just as they do in war. But the news alert is just commercial. They have obviously been failing to do so much real hands on journalism, or just showing some of the stuff the Arab channels show that they have to invest in more marketing techniques.
andy1033 made some really good points. If TV is bad for your health imagine what the c*** they call news does to you. The internet is by far the best source, of course it is made up every now and again. But 99 percent of the time its more factural, informative and uncensored than anything you get on TV. Providing that is you don't get your news from the mainstream websites!! However if you do thats not so bad because unlike TV you have all the facts in front of you, and all means to reaserch them some more.

top topics

join