It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about dark matter, anti matter, and normal matter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hello, my name is Leo. I was just wondering what is dark matter? Is it the oppisite of normal matter? Is dark matter just really anitmatter? I know CERN has has developed anitimatter. What is the difference of antimatter and normal matter?

I would appreciate it if you define the following please:
1. Antimatter
2. Dark matter
3. Matter ( differ from the couple above)

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LEO006
Hello, my name is Leo. I was just wondering what is dark matter? Is it the oppisite of normal matter? Is dark matter just really anitmatter? I know CERN has has developed anitimatter. What is the difference of antimatter and normal matter?

Hey Leo, welcome aboard.

Dark matter is supposedly undetectable matter who's inferred presence is used to explain the vastly greater bulk of the universe that is measurable but not viewable. For instance, the mass of the observable matter in a typical galaxy (stars, gas, dust, etc) does not produce enough of a gravitational pull to hold the galaxy together. The galaxy should by all means tear itself apart, but it does not. "Dark Matter" is used by scientists as a patch for this little problem, beefing up the mass of the galaxy to bring it in line with what is required. There are several ideas proposed to describe what dark matter might be. Read a bit about it here.

Antimatter is the opposite of regular matter, where each base particle of regular matter is represented by one of opposite charge. Electrons and Positrons, Protons and Anti Protons. It is almost incomprehensibly difficult to produce and store as it will react with regular matter upon contact, completely converting itself and an equal amount of regular matter into high-energy radiation. You can read a bit more about it here.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if you define the following please:
1. Antimatter
2. Dark matter
3. Matter ( differ from the couple above)

Thank you.

1) an·ti·mat·ter n.

A hypothetical form of matter that is identical to physical matter except that its atoms are composed of antielectrons, antiprotons, and antineutrons.

2) dark matter n.

Physical objects or particles that emit little or no detectable radiation of their own and are postulated to exist because of unexplained gravitational forces observed on other astronomical objects. Dark matter is believed to be part of the missing mass.

3) mat·ter n.

a) Something that occupies space and can be perceived by one or more senses; a physical body, a physical substance, or the universe as a whole.
b) Physics. Something that has mass and exists as a solid, liquid, gas, or plasma.

[edit on 2/7/2006 by Thousand]

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Thank you so much for replying. Now I am not in doubt, well maybe a little. When you defined antimatter, you said that it is a "A hypothetical form of matter that is identical to physical matter except that its atoms are composed of antielectrons, antiprotons, and antineutrons." You said "hypothetical form of matter" So is this like a hypothesis of antimatter's structure or is it really genuine? Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Sorry about that confusion...that will teach me to copy and paste.

Antimatter is not hypothetical. It is a real substance, and has been created in labs. It has been taken far enough to create AntiHydrogen, but even when in an atomic form it is very short lived.

That was my bad. Didn't mean to confuse you.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Short lived? hmm....I thought they kept it suspended for a while now. So it basically dies out. CERN.com...explains it well. Anti-matter would prove the big bang correct. ..matter out of nothing. Soon, they might create more and more and perhaps use it to propel a spacecraft to mars.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Is there a theory on light matter or light being a form of matter? Ive heard ramblings years ago about light being a trans dimensional and highly exotic matter theory. It seems reasonable however Im no phd.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
very reasonable theory. Dark matter is undetectable because it's a form of light. Neutrino emissions come from dark matter. However, we do know that light is probably free energy, and matter is trapped energy.

Dark matter is becoming more apparent in research and exploration, but they still don't know much about it. Universe is expanding more rapidly then ever , and science does not no why.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thousand
Sorry about that confusion...that will teach me to copy and paste.

Antimatter is not hypothetical. It is a real substance, and has been created in labs. It has been taken far enough to create AntiHydrogen, but even when in an atomic form it is very short lived.

That was my bad. Didn't mean to confuse you.

That's okay just wanted to make sure. Of course antimatter has been created in labs like CERN. I also want to share that quote: (antimatter is a powerful energy source known to man It releases energy that is 100% efficient. Antimatter creates no pollution or radiation and a droplet could power New York for a full day!)

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
what would be the reaction between anti-matter and dark-matter?

top topics

join