It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas to "Implicitly" Recognize Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Rivals Hamas and Fatah have agreed to a plan that would implicitly recognize Israel and calls for the establishment of a Palestinian state alongside it. The plan also calls for a cease fire in all but the occupied territories. Preparations for a formals signing ceremony are under way.

news.yahoo.com

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - The rival Hamas and
Fatah movements agreed on a plan implicitly recognizing
Israel, a top Palestinian official said Tuesday after weeks of acrimonious negotiations aiming to lift crippling international aid sanctions.

Moderate President Mahmoud Abbas of Fatah has been trying to coax his Hamas rivals into endorsing the document, which calls for a Palestinian state alongside Israel, in effect recognizing the Jewish state. He has endorsed the plan as a way to end sanctions against the Hamas-led Palestinian government and pave the way to reopening peace talks with Israel.

"We have an agreement over the document," said Ibrahim Abu Najah, coordinator of the "national dialogue" over the proposal.

The plan also calls on militants to limit attacks to areas captured by Israel in the 1967 Mideast War and calls for formation of a coalition Palestinian government.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well now this should be interesting. I wonder what will happen after years of calling Hamas a terrorist organization and refusing to deal with it when both the U.S. and Israel suddenly are faced with the possibility of having to recognize it. One view would hold that this proves the success of the Bush/Sharon policies, another that Hamas is calling their bluff. My money is on Bush et al. and Israel finding some reason not to accept this and refuse to negotiate.

Related News Links:
hosted.ap.org
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 27/6/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I think Hamas did not feel like losing Gaza again sine Israel has lined up their tanks on the border as a result of the detainment of one of their soldiers.

Personally I agree with you, I do believe that Israel will find a reason, either that or instigate one to contoniue on with thier repressive manner. I am glad to see Hamas is finally maturing though, and understanding that thy need to tone down their violence if they want to accomplish anything.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This has probably been in the works long before the current situition in Gaza started...but you are correct, it is problably some sort of imputus. Be that as it may, all and I do mean all governments begin with blood on their hands, it is the nature of the state, but once some group has power, it is also in their natures to want to keep it which is why they inevitably "renounce", note the quotation marks, their violent pasts. Seldom has a Pol Pot or a Ch'in held power long...Stalin is a prime example of one who did but he also had the help of WW2 to recast him not as an Ivan the Terrible but as a patriach.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
In this particular case I think Hamas simply bowed to the inevitable. Abbas has said he would hold a nationwide referendum on exactly this question and I don't think Hamas could stop him and further, I don't think they thought they could convince enough people to not vote yes on the question. The real question is what will Israel do?

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
CNN says Israeli troops & helicopters are moving into northern Gaza as this is written, so I guess we have an answer to the question already.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I think there is a lot of confusion in the media reports today.

BBC is contradicting most of the news.

Palestinian Government today said that for us Israel still does not exist.

Hamas has said that we still consider the entire land of Israel to be our occupied territory.

Therefore, its not just West bank and Gaza that they want back. They want entire Israel returned to Palestinians.

For this new Palestinian government, there is no takling with Israel.

They have repeatedly said that there will be no recognition of the Jewish homeland.

As far as they are concerned the state of Israel still does not exist anywhere in the world.

They are refusing to accept the existence of Israel.

Looks like war to me.

No wonder Israel is massing its troops on the border.

Thousands of troops are getting ready to launch military strike on Gaza.

No. Its not for one captured soldier.

Israel knows that it cannot negotiate with Hamas led government who declared that there is still no state of Israel.

Only solution for Israel seems to be to militarily defeat Hamas once and for all.

BREAKING NEWS - BBC - Tuesday, 27 June 2006 - 18:09 GMT

No recognition of Israel - Hamas

Hamas negotiators have told the BBC that the entire state of Israel has been built on occupied Palestinian land. They believe that a Palestinian state on the West Bank and Gaza is a first step - not a final step. They believe that future generations of Palestinians will reclaim all their historic homeland. And that, in the end, there will be no room for what is now the Jewish state of Israel.

Palestinian minister, Abdul Rahman Zidan, told the BBC the document did not in any way recognise the state of Israel:

"This is an internal agreement between the Palestinians. There is no agreement between the Palestinians on specifically this phrase. You will not find one word in the document clearly stating the recognition of Israel as a state. Nobody has agreed to this. This was not on the table. This was not in the dialogue," he said.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 27-6-2006 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Question: what do they mean by "implicitly"? Do they mean tentatively, as opposed to "explicitly", or formally?

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I am not sure, i was just copying the headline...I assume that they (if they get what they want which is a fat chance) would implictely recognize Israel the way Jordan did for decades before it finally formally did.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   

wonder what will happen after years of calling Hamas a terrorist organization and refusing to deal with it when both the U.S. and Israel suddenly are faced with the possibility of having to recognize it.

If Hamas gives up terrorism, there's no reason to call it a terrorist organization. What does recognizing that there can be a state of Israel have to do with no longer being terrorists? Hamas will no longer be a terrorist organization once it stops purposely targetting civilians.

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
like I said All governments begin with blood on their hands. it is the nature of the beast.

top topics

join