It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

moving away issues.... help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
in a couple of months i will have to be moving away for school. i will be moving away from a place ive lived with family and friends for about 10 yrs. its a good 9 hours away. ive moved away before... been away for as long as half a year...but in that move i moved with friends.
i moved again alone... somewhere close but gave up the job because i found out it didnt really suit me.

first move... i suffered from the usual homesickness... and the occasional anxiety... but i eventually kind of over came it. but something happend outiside of this and i had to move back home. second time was just horrible... i was totally alone... i had no one to talk to and anxiety pretty much distracted everything i did.

i get to a point to where i have a hard time breathing and it over takes my attitude... to where its hard to go out and meet anyone. its very serious.

i dread moving away again becaue i feel like this is going to be the case again. but i have to go away to better my career.

what are somethings i can do to help myself out? how do i cope with the anxiety? do i take pills or seek a counselor or what?

i will be alone when i move.... so i need some serious help.

thnx.

posted on Jun, 24 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
gosh i fel so sad for you, this sounds horrible,

REally i would suggest that you see a counciler to help learn how to cope with all the emotions you are feeling.

maybe some breathing excersizes would be a good idea,

How about finding out some info about where you are going, like maybe join up a few clubs or whatnot before you go,so when you get there you already have a few things planned,

Im sure others will have some ideas for you, I really hope all works out,

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
thnx for the response. so would this not be a good idea?
ill be honest with you... im headed for graduate school. i thought i would be too old to feel this way.

i connected with someone in the school already... but im not sure if thats enough. grad school is a fulltime job and if i cant cope with the new stuff then how am i going to put forward full effort in the program?

second option is... i got accepted to a school closer... about 3hours away... and there i can have friends to room with if need be. but im not sure this school will provide me with the same quality education as the first. the first is what i want if anxiety werent an issue.

is this kind of thing something that will go away with time and pills?

posted on Jun, 25 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
is there some kind of recommended pills i can take that will help out?

id hate to take pills man... really.

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
is there some kind of recommended pills i can take that will help out?

id hate to take pills man... really.

Well,
Take your pick?
Red or Blue......
www.belowtopsecret.com...
OR
Buy some Chupa chops.......and pop one in your mouth when needed!

helen

Pills are not the way to go...would probably increase anxiety.
take care/good luck!

posted on Jun, 26 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
thnx. what about wellbutrin?

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I'm very sorry to hear what you are going through. I have anxiety problems, too, so I can kind of relate.

The only person who can tell you if you need prescription meds is a doctor, so if I were you I'd make an appointment with your physician or a psychiatrist. If it's severe enough they might give you something, but usually just talking to a therapist or a counselor is enough, they'll teach you some neat techniques to help you cope with it.

How long do you have to decide wether you will move or not? That is another thing you can talk about with a counselor. Sometimes even a school counselor can help you decide which college you want to switch to.

I really hope everything works out for you! Good luck!

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
okay i just found out about something... its called "The Linden Method"...... self treatment for panic & anxiety. Any of you all every heard of it?

It seems to say... that what i deal with is situational anxiety, agoraphobia and panic attacks etc. and that really the main way to combat this is thru good breathing techniques and diversion.... and a bunch of other stuff. That pills arent needed... that its all in us... that we just have to understand whats really happening and understand that we can relearn some stuff to help our uncounscious part of our system that triggers the anxiety.

new topics

top topics

join