It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Router Problems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Help Please....
Ok, here's the setup...
My brother and I both have our own computers. I also have an Xbox360.
These are all connected to a router wired.
The router is connected to our broadband modem.
We have One Cable Internet account... however we have seperate user names we log in with ( we did this because originally i only had a switch and not a router ).

Now here is the problem. Ever time the power cuts out e.g blackout.... Then when it comes back on i (from my computer) cannot connect to the internet... The only way i can get back on the internet is for my brother to turn his computer on then for him to log in.... Only then can i log back on the internet....

This wouldnt be so bad however... my 16 year old brother insists on locking his bedroom.... so if he's not there i cannot reconnect to the internet.

Any suggestions?

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Perhaps you need to Bridge your router with the cable modem, effectively "marrying" the two. The router would store your login information thereby removing the need for either computer to "logon".

Can you let us know what brand and model your router and modem are? Both would be best.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The order of which the routers and cable modem and computer are powered up can cause many problems..

Do this:

1)turn off your computer

2)unplug the router

3)unplug the cable modem

And plug them in like this:

1) plug in cable modem, and wait till the ready light is solid and you have connection.

2)plug in your router

3)start your computer.

You should have connection after that. It is VERY important to do this in that exact order.

Ive had people call me crying because nothing they did could give them Internet connection. Then I tell them this order of power up, and it fixes it.

B.T.W. you dont need to log in with cable modems. They are always on and ready. You are simply only logging on to a certain service like AOL, or AIM, or Messanger, for their services. You are NOT logging in for an Internet connection.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by LAES YVAN]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
12m8keall2c is right. If you have the router do the PPPoE login you don't have to worry about logging in at different computers.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
cable modems dont use PPPoE login's.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Your're right, my bad.

Ignore that post.

Edit: Who is your ISP? And (forgive my asking) are you sure it's cable and not DSL? I've never heard of a cable modem requiring a login.

[edit on 21-6-2006 by Rasobasi420]

[edit on 21-6-2006 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
right when he said the modem got powered off due to power outage, I instantly thought of boot sequence. It is REALLY important the sequence of which you power up the routers. Especially if its a Linksys router. Some routers will allow the first address to connect but no others. Like if his brothers local IP is 192.168.1.1 it can connect, but if the OPs computer is 192.168.1.2 it wont. Unless you do the correct boot sequence. Its really odd.

-edit-

many cable internet providers give you a free email and password for purchasing their service. Kinda like AOL broadband. A LOT of people think in order to connect to the internet they need to login with that first, instead of just clicking IE and going straight to the web.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Is there a chance your brother has ICS turned on?

Internet connection sharing.
In case you didn't know what it was..

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I was just going to ask about if ICS was on as this is the most probable cause of this!

Unless he is running some other kind of proxy service that could be confusing your computer!

You can either disable the service on his PC, or amend your default gateway/proxy server settings to point at the routers IP address.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
LEAS YVAN and Rasobasi420,

Those were my first thoughts as well. I've yet to come across a situation where a cable connection required any ssort of login. However, not knowing who or what type of "cable" service he had I went the route of a supposed PPPoE connection.

I, too, wondered if he may actually have a DSL/ADSL connection, many of which do require initial logOn authentication.

LEAS YVAN,

Lord, I don't think I can count the number of times I've had to instruct a client to do Xactly as you stated above, and it only gets worse if there's a wireless range extender involved. Worse as in ... more steps in the process. I typcially OverEmphasize
the need to bring everything back up EXACTLY as I have outlined in the instructions.

Hopefully our concerted efforts help to resolve iCEdTenG's problem/situation.

[edit: ?sp]

[edit on 6/21/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
the problem isnt caused until the cable modem is turned off. I am CERTAIN that its the boot sequence, and I'm willing to put money on it.

-edit-

Also, upon installation of a cable modem connection, the installer will call in the ID number of the cable modem to the ISP. That ID number is identified with the customer and gives them the correct connection status and bandwidth.
Which eliminates the need for any login.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Add a vonage box to it and you've got yourself a 5 or 6 item startup sequence.

However, I'm not sure if ICS would matter if only one machine is on. The router wouldn't even recognize a machine that's not on.

posted on Jun, 21 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Thats true.

But I've had situations where ICS And it's mini DHCP server interfered with DHCP on the LAN side of the Router. It's easy enough to check.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Hum,

Let me think about this.....

Although I agree that the boot sequence is important, in this case it probably does not matter since everything works once iCEdTenG's bro logs into his own pc without restarting the modem and router.

As for internet connection sharing, since he is plugged into the router, it should not matter in theory, but I have also seen it act like this when ICS is enable, so its probable.

Also, since they used to have a switch previously, they probably had to setup or attempted to setup ICS to as a workaround for the "one account" problem before they got the router.

I suppose he could go to the command prompt and type: ipconfig /all to find out what DHCP server, dns server, and gateway is listed to clarify if that is correct or not.

Right?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   
So let me get this

Router
I
Switch
I
Computer

The router should have the PPOE login details,
plugged into the switch,
and your pc plugged into the switch.
Therefore the router handles the internet,
it assigns you an IP to listen to the internet and the switch provides you with connectivity

NO other pc's need to be turned on ,logged in or anything

my guess is his computer has an IP and internet SHARING enabled.
thus as soon as he is online, your PC will DHCP From him, assigned a GATEWAY to yourself as HIS IP address thus he has to be online for you to be.
make sure you IP Gateway is the ROUTER not the other pc

simple solution
reset everything,
make the router do the ppoe login,
automatically assign all ip address on pc's

then boom.

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
We haven't heard from the original poster.

I hope we haven't "fixed him" right off the internet!

iCEdTenG,
any progress?

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
once again CABLE MODEMS DONT USE PPPoE login. The cable modem itself has a unique ID number like a MAC address on it, that is visible by the ISP. If he changed to a different cable modem, he wouldnt get a connection until a technician calls in the cable modems unique ID to the ISP.

And I already said, sometimes on certain routers, If the power on sequence wasn't performed correctly, It will allow ONLY the first computer on the first local IP to connect. Ex. 192.168.1.100. After that first computer connects, SOMETIMES the router will detect the rest of the computers and make the connection available to all other local IP's . ex 192.168.1.101 or 102.

However if the power up sequence wasn't performed correctly and you try to connect on a computer plugged into the the second or higher spot with a local IP address of *.*.*.102 or higher , the router will not detect the computer.

This is most common with Linksys wireless/wired routers.

[edit on 22-6-2006 by LAES YVAN]

posted on Jun, 22 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
If the 'dumb' modem is plugged into the router,
the router controls the Dialup , atleast thats how i worked it back in the day

and if your both running of the router, thats connected to the switch,
wouldnt THAT contorl the adress of IP address, thus the connections?

I dont understand if 2x pc's are plugged into a switch,
that switch plugged into a router
and the modem plugged into the router,

sequence shouldnt mean anything.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Seriously man, LISTEN.

He has a CABLE modem. IT DOES NOT "DIAL UP". It is automaticaly connected as soon as the signal from the modem is detected by the ISP. And is ALWAYS ON after that.

He clearly states his setup is like this..

Cable Modem->Router->Computers

No switches.

A router, has jacks in the back for ethernet lines to plug into. Each jack has its own local IP address assigned to it by the router. Those local IP's share the internet connection and use the REAL IP address that is assigned by the ISP, because the ROUTER has its own MAC address, or it can clone a MAC from any computer conntected to it. But almost in every situation, the local IP is assinged by the router.

And the sequence will AWALYS matters.

3) Cycle the power
Before you test your connection, power off the modem, the Linksys, and the pc connected into the (hub) Linksys. Power them up in that order.

EVERY computer networking engineer will tell you that.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by LAES YVAN]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I have Cable, vontage, then wireless..... I NEVER have to power cycle anything but the wireless. Unplug the cord for 5 seconds everything is good.

Just like life, there is nothing exact in computers.

People in the thread are just trying to help, please be nice.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by SpittinCobra]

<<   2 >>

join