It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Router Problems

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I am being nice.

And the only time you dont have to power cycle anything is when the cable modem is already connected to the ISP, and the "READY" light is on. If the modem is on, you can unplug the router, or computer as much as you want and it will always connect.

But if the cablem modem is turned off and the router is still on, you ABSOLUTLY have to power cycle it, once the modem has fully connected to the ISP.

B.T.W. ALL routers work the same.

Router start-up sequence

A router boots similar to a regular computer as it first performs a power on self test (POST) for the hardware, next loads bootstrap code from ROM, loads the IOS image from Flash into RAM, performs a hardware inventory, and finally the router locates and loads a configuration file. You can reboot a router by using the power switch or the reload command.

The modem ALWAYS has to be the first thing powered up and connected to the ISP, before you power up anything else conected to it. ANY network engineer will tell you that.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by LAES YVAN]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
You can't tell me what I do. I never unplug the cable modem.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
You can't tell me what I do. I never unplug the cable modem.

LMAO!!!!! You just proved my point right there.. You are classic buddy, very funny.

Like I said, the modem, if NEVER turned off, you will have ZERO problems with your router connecting, or your computer connecting. Your modem must ALWAYS be ON before anything else is turned on. Once the modem is powered off, just like the original posters says "power outage", THAT is when the router has to be powered up AFTER the modem has connected.

To make it simple for you, I will try to explain easyer...

If modem is NOT "READY", and your router is turned on, it wont work.

If the modem IS "READY", and your router is turned on, it WILL work.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I was not saying you where "wrong" per se, just that every case Is not perfectly the same.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
UM, we are talking about a cable modem always being the first thing that has to be powered up and connected, in order for it to work with any routes or computers.

In THAT situation, it is always perfectly the same with every setup. No matter what hardware you have, the modem should AWALYS be powered up and READY first.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
You are right the cable modem has to be hooked up first in every application.

[edit on 23-6-2006 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
You are right the cable modem has to be hooked up first in every application.

Yes, thanks, that is the point I was trying to get across..

The original poster says he has a power outage, then the problem accures. I know for a fact that a router can power up and connect MUCH faster than a cable modem can power up and connect to the ISP. So if the power was restored to both the modem and router at the same time, more than likely the router will connect faster than the modem, causing its connection to not work.

As i stated earlyer SOME routers will use the first local IP as a "reboot" type of switch. So if the first computer on the first local IP trys to connect to the internet, the router will internaly reset and connect to the cable modem. If any other computer that is not connected to the first local IP trys to connect, it simply wont be detected.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It's starting to remind me of my workplace in here..!
We may never know what fixed his problem..

You also have to take into consideration a users "perception" of what is going on.
You don't always know if the described symptoms, are the actual symptoms..

But Power-up sequence, and ICS, BOTH of them, are great places to look for the problem.

posted on Jun, 23 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
God I hate networking. I'm not going to go off on a rant, but networking is the most aggrivating thing I've ever dealt with, that includes my girlfriend.

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I have a D-LiNK 802.11g Wireless router.... Forgive the noob question but how exactly do i store my username and password in the router?.... I can't seem to find how to do it anywhere?

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
... So....

What MODEM ARe you using, can you give a MODEL NUMBER ?

if you connect to your wireless router,
go to command
ipconfig
and the gateway address, take note of it.

now open a website and enter the gateway address

you'll then be directed to the websetup of the Router.

posted on Jun, 29 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I dont understand why this is so hard for people to grasp.
Ive had this particular router, and modem setup for a lot of clients.
' although wireless sucks '

Its a simple web interface router.
It will have a PPOE section in it.
this is where u enter the username and password for your INTERNET.
Does this router have a Modem port on it ?
This is where you plug your MODEM into, making sure hte modem is set to be a DUMB MODEM.
Where all it does is allow SYNC to happen.

the router will authenticate THROUGH THE MODEM To your ISP.
and in my experience, If I have a router setup to connect WITH NO MODEM... If I plug a modem into the MODEM socket, turn the modem on,
after it REFRESHES, it SYNCS, and CONNECTS.

[edit on 29-6-2006 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LAES YVAN

Thanks I have these problems. I will try this. I have ATT DSL and a Motorola... Modem I guess it is and a Linksys Router. At first I hooked it up without viewing the CD and it was working great with the Toshiba notebook but now I cannot get an internet connection wireless-ly. I have to disconnect the Linksys thing and leave it aside to get on the internet at all. Frustrating.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Wait until you have kids...
At least with computers, you can smash them and go buy new parts.
edit on 3/11/2011 by staple because: spell'n misstake

top topics

<< 1   >>

join