It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jersey City Mayor Arrested in Bar Incident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Jersey City Mayor Arrested in Bar Incident

Jersey City's mayor said he was arrested and roughed up by police over the weekend for intervening in an argument outside a beach bar.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy said he had just left Barry's Tavern in Bradley Beach - a bar owned by his sister - around 2 a.m. Saturday when he saw a couple arguing in a nearby parking lot. He said the man was jumping on the hood of his girlfriend's car.

After he calmly talked the man down, Barry said, police arrived and threw him on the ground and Maced him. When his wife tried to retrieve his glasses, police shoved her to the ground too, according to Healy.

More...

This is ugly.... :shk:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Half a year in jail for stopping a guy damaging a car? That is stupid.

And what actually happened? One account says police suddenly arrived on scene and threw him to the ground, while the cops say they asked him repeatedly to leave. Ridiculous, if you ask me. ". . .investigation of the couple's argument . . ."?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:29 AM
link   
A Job For The Courts To Handle

Let's see, it's 2:00AM Saturday morning and there's a domestic dispute in progress...

Do I:

1. Call the mayor?

2. Call the police?

Hmm.

I may be wrong, but the mayor's story doesn't seem to hold water.

Hopefully the legal system will get to the bottom of this.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Wait, don't the police work for the Mayor????

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Mayor May Not

Originally posted by loam
Wait, don't the police work for the Mayor????

I'm not familiar with the laws of New Jersey, but I don't believe the mayor is legally empowered to interfere with a peace officer performing his duty.

Aside from that, however, the story sounds fishy to me.

I imagine as more details emerge, the picture will become clearer.

Let's bear in mind that the Mayor and his wife had just emerged from a bar, while the police officers involved were on duty.

Hey, could go either way.

Just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The cops do work for the mayor, but indirectly. They work for the chief of police, who works for the mayor - I think.

The mayor of Jersey City has said good things about his city's cops in the past, and I don't recall any specific tension making it into the news, so I don't think this is a case of bad blood. (If the mayor had been overly critical of the police force in the press, one could reasonably assign a retaliatory motive on the part of the police in this recent incident)

They've got pretty bad crime in Jersey City, and just based on a quick search, it appears to be rising. Despite that, the mayor has stood by the cops and the chief of police, and commended them on the progress that they've made in fighting gangs.

Could it be that the mayor was drunk? Quite possible. I've never known a man to leave a bar sober at 2am, but it was a family joint, so he could have been there for reasons other than getting smashed.

The cops probably gave him attitude, and he threw it back in their faces ("You work for me!" or some such) - a little pissing contest out in the parking lot. Cops don't like it when you do that - it steams them up somethin' fierce. The good ones internalize it. The bad ones take it out on your hide and lie, using the power of their authority to get away with it.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
C*O*P*S

Hey, don't get me wrong, maybe the cops did rough up the Mayor...

Cops roughed up the Mayor...

Um, am I the only one who thinks that's just a little odd on its face?

The cops decided out of the blue to rough up the Mayor at 2AM in the parking lot of the bar the Mayor just came out of and went to "help" a feuding couple?

Sorry. Maybe that's how it went down, but I need a little more to work with here.

The cops aren't talking and the Mayor is.

I think it would be prudent to consider the evidence available from both sides of this before coming to any conclusions.

There were witnesses. I imagine they were interviewed separately.

There's more to this than just the Mayor's story.

[edit on 6/19/2006 by Majic]

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Well, Jersey City is pretty big - there's a good chance that there are cops on their payroll who can't accurately identify the mayor in a line-up - nevermind in a bar parking lot at 2am.

In small cities, everyone knows the mayor. He might as well be Ronald McDonald. But if you combine a big city with a relatively low-profile mayor, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the cops didn't know who they were dealing with until it was too late.

Some guys have class, and they won't throw their weight around ("Don't you know who I am? I'm the Mayor b****!"). In that case, the cops roughing up the mayor is no stranger than the cops roughing up a random person. They certainly do that often enough, in Jersey and everywhere else.

But you're absolutely right, Majic, there were witnesses, and there should be more about this story in the media, give it a day or two. I'm betting the Chief of Police makes a statement Monday morning, something like "This was a regrettable incident, and we're investigating it thoroughly. The officers in question have been put on leave until the matter is resolved." Something short and vague like that.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
More information.

www.nj.com.../base/news-3/1150692385190150.xml&coll=1

As the man quieted down, five police cars arrived -- including a car each from Avon and Neptune -- and police went after the girl, Healy said. The mayor said he stepped in to tell the officer the young man was more at fault.

Healy said officer Brown told him to get away, commanding he not point at him. Healy said Brown grabbed his arm and wrenched it behind his back, pushing him to the ground as his wife and son-in-law looked on.

Healy said he plans to file criminal charges against Browning.

'commanding he not point at him' - oh man...

That's rich, the index finger is now considered a weapon? Pointing one at a cop can result in getting grounded and maced? Sheesh...

Interestingly enough, earlier in the same article, the mayor claims he's had a couple of run-ins with the cops before. I wonder what that was all about? I may do some digging in the morning, but I suspect this was a cut-and-dried case of police brutality and abuse of authority.

We'll see though...

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
You people have major reading and map comprehension skill problems.
Deny Ignorance, ie, don't flap your traps about stuff you are completely clueless about.

Carefully read, observe facts and don't think your opinion is so valuable that you have to post only to appear to be jumping up and down screaming "hee-haw hee-haw hee-haw" if you can catch my drift.

The town where the mayor of Jersey City was arrested and the towns that other police arrived from are no less than 200 miles from Jersey City. The mayor of Jersey City was not arrested in Jersey City and has no authority in the towns of Bradley Beach, Neptune, or Avon.

The Mayor of Jersey City is just another civilian when he is leaving his sisters bar in another town.
Had he been in Jersey City for this incident then this would not have happened.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Even if he wasn't the mayor, this is still pretty bad. Could you image getting thrown the the ground and then maced, just because the cops are a bit confused?

Admittedly, this happens all the time, but still . . .

And a mayor should have mroe sense than to provoke cops, at least if that's what happened. So he walked out of the bar, talked some guy off of a car, and then the police arrived and arrested him? What's all that stuff about an investigation then? Was the guy jumping on the hood a cop?

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hey Legalizer, care to post a map that shows them in relation to each other? Or do you prefer just to insult people for making an honest mistake?

watch_the_rocks
According to the article, the mayor came out of the bar and saw a young man jumping up and down on the hood of a woman's car. The mayor talked him down, and then the cops showed up and started hassling the woman. The mayor tried to intervene, and got 'copped' for his efforts.

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Or do you prefer just to insult people for making an honest mistake?

I'm assuming that's a rehtorical question. The answer is quite obvious.

Way to go, "DENYING" ignorance, Legalizer. Your example of perfection is one I could live without.

:shk:

posted on Jun, 19 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Here's the map:

maps.google.com...,+NJ

Thanks, again, Legalizer! You make a fine example to the membership.

new topics

top topics

join