It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My two steps to Faster Dial-Up...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
After months of sluggish dialup internet service, I decided to try to improve things, on my end.

The first step I took, was to install System Mechanic from www.iolo.com... on my system. They have a nifty little feature that optimizes your internet speed. There is a test feature you can use before and after, to compare the difference. With one click of a mouse button, my actual throughput increased from a measely 13 kb per second to just over 20.

I know that even that is'nt great, but it's better than what I had previously.

The second step I took was to switch my browser to Mozilla Firefox. www.mozilla.com... I had tried it once before, but did'nt really give it a chance, and switched back to IE.

The third step (which happened to coincide with the above), I can take no credit for. Of course I am talking about the recent and still continuing changes to the interface here on ATS.

Three more cheers, to S.O. for that!

And now, when I refrsh, it's zip, zip, zip, and it's all loaded!! Before it would take literally minutes to load!

Now, I'm a happy camper!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Mechanic is dead on about firefox. I am still stubborn from time to time and remain with IE, but Firefox is much faster I find. Time to time I find myself getting Page can not be displayed which has me gritting my teeth to no end.

To all those stubborn IE fanatics like I was, give Mozilla a chance. I was impressed.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
What really did it though, was the tweaks applied by System Mechanic.
Of course there are many other features to that program, also.

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Yeah FireFox is not going to make your connection faster, but it will enhance your browing abilities. Which is just as important really.

top topics

join