It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Fat Tax?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Was just doing a bit of browsing on the BBC site, and came across this; Link . Was just wondering with all the strain that the obese are putting on the NHS, and other services, do you think its time that we taxed the fat?

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Have you forgot that there is a disease which makes you think that you are always hungry? If this tax goes ahead, these people will be getting taxed on their disability! This should not be allowed!

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It strikes me as just another way of trying to get us all to turn in on ourselves and divide, again.

Meantime corporations, big business and the ultra weathy shoulder less and less of the burden without a word being said.

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This whole argument is a distraction from more pressing issues. And sminkeypinky is right that it has a lot to do with making us turn in on our ourselves.
Anyway it’s almost unenforceable. Are we to go onto the scales when we fill in our self assessment tax return? Oh well if I’m fat I might write the wrong numbers in by mistake.
Would you like to charge people for treatment on the NHS if they are fat? Because at least that's a whole lot more workable.

What this misses though is that we did have such things as common civil liberties in this country. Basically people should be more or less free to live their own lives as they like (providing they don't hurt anyone directly) and charity should be available to all equally.

Maybe we are heading for more selfish times? But overall it we be at the expense to the people of this nation as a whole if we start thinking like that. Be it by limiting personal freedom, our generosity or dividing us it will cause more trouble than its worth. Any way in my opinion only a truly selfish person should be attracted to this idea, the fact its dumb is an additional bonus for people standing with me.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It's gonna be the poor that's gonna get taxed, because the most unhealthiest are usually in deprived areas. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I assume these people will get a rebate on the national insurance they've paid?

Not to mention the smokers who won't be treated, or the drinkers whose livers give out, or the runners who have muscle problems, or the footballers with broken legs, or the executives with stress, or the people who stepped out in the road without looking.

My point is (i have one, honest) where do you stop? The entire point of the NHS is treatment for all. The NHS is not there to make judgements on peoples lifestyles, it is there to treat illness. Trying to use it as either a method for social engineering or a political tool is to desecrate the principal of universal healthcare.

If you pick and choose those you treat then it's no longer universal and we may as well just privatise it.

posted on Jun, 14 2006 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Hmm, a fat tax...

How about a pound for every pound your over weight? No I'm only joking I'm not that cruel.

This kind of debate raises the issue of "how much should the Government interfer", the issue of the nanny state vs helpful Government interference.

I believe the Government should protect the people not from themselves but from corporations and business.

While shopping the other day standing in the queue to pay I noticed a drinks chiller cabinent filled with an array of drinks, artfully placed so people standing in the queue will feel the urge in this hot weather to get a drink.
It was however the prices that I noticed, the healthier fruit based drinks were significantly more expensive than the unhealthy fizzy drinks, so naturally people reach for the cheaper sweeter drink.
Hell, ask kids what they prefer coke or fruit juice and 90% will go for coke.

I believe in fat tax but not directly applied to the people, although it is indirect but through choice.
I believe greater taxation of junk foods and drinks is needed, big business would be put in the situation of the more unhealthy the food or drink the more tax the Government would take.
This would promote even big business to change their ways (although I am living in a dream world with this), because lets face it the most important thing to them is profit not the people they sell their products to.

Originally posted by Chris McGee
My point is (i have one, honest) where do you stop? The entire point of the NHS is treatment for all. The NHS is not there to make judgements on peoples lifestyles, it is there to treat illness. Trying to use it as either a method for social engineering or a political tool is to desecrate the principal of universal healthcare.

I personally believe the NHS is there to both treat illness and promote healthy lifestyles, although it should never discriminate against smokers, footballers, drinkers etc.
I see nothing wrong with the NHS telling people smoking is bad, too much drinking with rot your liver or that eating unhealthy food will make you unhealthy, they are simply trying to promote a healthier nation.

edit: to correct my out of this world claim that unheathy food made you healthy

[edit on 14-6-2006 by Prometheus James]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hpow about we ditch this nanny state mother knows best mentality governments are adopting period?

A person's health is their choice, their problem. They state has no right to tell people how to live. How can they expect people to act like responsible adults when the state won't treat them as such?

new topics

top topics

join