It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MMORTS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Lysergic, wtf is an MMORTS?

Massively multiplayer online real-time strategy (MMORTS) is a category for computer games that combines real-time strategy (RTS) with a large number of simultaneous players over the Internet. It is a type of massively multiplayer online game.

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyone know of any up coming games like this? New games not old crap ones like Mankind and Shattered Galaxy.

I found one that has an open beta called Boundless Planet. I understand why it's still in beta. I've always wanted to play a game like this, you know the whole persistent state world, but rts, so its battles between nations, and yes I know there are games out there like this, but who wants to play boring text games? it's 2006.

Sovereign was going to be the one that I was going to play but Sony pulled the plug on it, it looked really cool.

So anyone else interested in MMORTS?

[edit on 5-6-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I would rather have a more Diablo style of RTS experience where you control say one unit of soldiers(or one Mothership ala Homeworld) and it's more tactical then strategic. Instead of fighting over territory, cities and resources, you'll just be fighting over resources nodes ala Unreal 2004. Instead of you controlling an entire empire, lets say you start off the commander of a bunch of Gropos(marines) or the Wing Commander of a flight of Fighters or Bombers, then as you climb up the ranks and gain experience and medals, different types of units, weapons, ships, or ship mods become available to you. The massively multiplayer part will come in certain instances maps where 2 or more sides are fighting a huge battle with each player controlling a certain aspect of the battle in a FPS Class based type of setup where you have a limit for each and every type of unit. Say only one Battle Commander is aloud, 3 seige units, 10 units of elite shock troopers, 20 units of regulars, 15 units of air support, etc.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Diablo is a "hack n slash rpg"

in boundless planet, resources are scatter and you have to build a refinery on top of them and leave some defense, and the world is actually endless...

or suppose to be.

I'm wanting more of massive nation, when you a build a unit, its not just 1 unit maybe like a small fleet of ships appears how on say total war you build a spear man you get 200 soldiers.

I want there to be lots of micro management, politics, economy(import,export,smuggle) espionage, maybe even design units, like you can in Galactic Civ.

Factions, lots of factions that give different bonuses.

About the FPS aspect, I played an RTS called Machines way back when, that'd let you do this, you could strafe and actually dodge incoming missiles, I actually turned the tide on a few battles by going into the FPS mode.

If it were futuristic game I'd say you have your ship, it can land on planets, fight in space whatever, probably just want to keep it on homeworld so you don't die, but then you just build until your eyeballs explode, or maybe keep homeworld safe, but to really excel in the game you must colonize other planets.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Diablo is a "hack n slash rpg"

That's not what I meant, I was referring to the control scheme for land based stuff and it was the only game that I could think of at that moment.

I want there to be lots of micro management, politics, economy(import,export,smuggle) espionage, maybe even design units, like you can in Galactic Civ.

Wow. I don't not even know wether that would be possible to do correctly... A Gal Civ RTS MMO would be pretty sweet though. Add in the Spore editor and you'll have a kick ass game.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yeah I know man, thats the thing, is there a company out there willing to do it all right?

I figure if you had a game like that it'd draw a huge crowd.

btw homeworld was good too, that'd be cool, instead of you leveling you just upgrade your mothership. yet I want it more invovled, you know conquering systems etc

[edit on 5-6-2006 by Lysergic]

top topics

join