It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Da Vinci code and the Pope: both missing the point?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
you shall not lie was never a commandment...

(external quote)
Division and interpretation
"I am the LORD your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery..."
This commandment is to believe in the existence of God and His influence on events in the world, and that the goal of the redemption from Egypt was to become His servants (Rashi).
"Thou shall have no other gods besides Me... Do not make a sculpted image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."
This prohibits belief in or worship of any additional deities or fashioning them.
"Thou shall not swear falsely by the name of the LORD..."
This commandment is to never take the name of God in a vain, pointless or insincere oath (Rashi). This includes four types of prohibited oaths: an oath affirming as true a matter one knows to be false, an oath that affirms the patently obvious, an oath denying the truth of a matter one knows to be true, and an oath to perform an act that is beyond one's capabilities[citation needed].
"Remember [zachor] the Sabbath day and keep it holy" (the version in Deuteronomy reads shamor, "observe")
The seventh day of the week is termed Shabbat and is holy, just as God ceased creative activity during Creation. The aspect of zachor (remember) is performed by declaring the greatness of the day (kiddush), by having three festive meals and by engaging in Torah study and pleasurable activities. The aspect of shamor is performed by abstaining from the 39 melachot (forbidden categories of activity) on the Shabbat.
"Thou shall honour your father and your mother..."
The obligation to honor one's parents is an obligation that one owes to God and fulfills this obligation through one's actions towards one's parents.
"Thou shall not murder"
Killing an innocent human being is a capital sin.
"Thou shall not commit adultery."
Adultery is defined as cohabitation with a married woman (Rashi).
"Thou shall not steal."
This is not understood as stealing in the conventional sense, since theft of property is forbidden elsewhere and is not a capital offense. In this context it is to be taken as "do not kidnap" (Rashi).
"Thou shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"
One must not bear false witness in a court of law or other proceeding.
"Thou shall not covet your neighbor's house..."
One is forbidden to desire and plan how one may obtain that which God has given to another. Maimonides makes a distinction in codifying the laws between the instruction given here in Exodus (You shall not covet) and that given in Deuteronomy (You shall not desire), according to which one does not violate the Exodus commandment unless there is a physical action associated with the desire, even if this is legally purchasing an envied object.

en.wikipedia.org...

nor is it in the Beuatitudes

Does this mean that G-D and/or Jesu etc believed that there was a time for lying?

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Observer
Was Christ actually human? I mean, he was still the son of God, and capable, with God's help, of miracles. Perhaps the stories have been exaggerated, but there were miracles, I believe. But he was a man. Good, kind, and divine. As, perhaps we all are?

As far as anybody knows, there was no such person as Jesus, Christ. But I will tell you that what you're saying is basically heresy, and until a few hundred years ago, that kind of talk would get you a red-hot poker up a very sensitive area of your body, followed by a quick BBQ with you as the guest of honor.

[edit on 7-6-2006 by Enkidu]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Relentless
but being that it's only a work of fiction, it's rather irrelevant.

Wise words Relentless. Very wise!

The DaVinci code is FICTION. Made up. Pretend. Entertainment.
And from what I hear of the movie reviews ... dull entertainment.

Hey allow me to add my opinion. Not wise words. And less wise words for thinkinf so. Sure it is fiction. Sure I know the definiton of fiction. But do you guys know the defintion of, "Thinking for yourself?" Because if you did, and practiced, you would see the esoteric undertone to this authors thread. Enough said! AAC

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I seen a sign on a church yesterday near my house that said "Da Vinci Deception" I started laughing so hard and said what about the bible deception. It is funny how some take offence to a peice of fictional literature but not to another.

The Da Vinci Code and the Bible are both fictional peices.

Thank God more and more people are realizing that religeon is a bunch of whooey.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Observer
Is THIS the truth that the Church has obscured?

Excellent deduction. Yes indeed the understanding and spiritual power of Jesuit may be attained by any soul wishing to take that age old divine path. The path of learning, awakening, and exploring. The path of experience and wisdom.

Take water>wine for an example. With certain amounts of practice and free thinking (freeing our soul from limiting concepts) we can use our energy fields to control and ultimately alter matter. I have agreed with Menguard on this point that enough training to 'change' matter would make a corpse out of you. But here we are, achieving basic success in telekinesis. It's the first step of many in harnessing our own energies.

Whether Jesus was a man who had attained much, or whether he was a powerful incarnate entity (son of god as you say) is debateable, but the core truth of unlimited potential is there, and has been suppressed by civilization and indeed ourselves for millenia. We all have the divine potential inside of us.

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
We all have the divine potential inside of us.

Precisely !!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join