It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MS - Bye Bye JPEG, hello WDP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Normal JPEG's can be "fiddled-with" to bury code that can be exploited in apps.
Known fact. Now MS wants your graphics format to be secure "Billy-Boy's" way
before a better deal hits the market from the various "Expert Groups", beating
them to the punch... he's got the bucks. Know this, this new format is bound to
many of the same flaws only in a more "Micosoftian" context. All those who want
Mr. Bill to control even more of computing please raise your hands now... Uh huh.
Good answer, either way. I'm still unclear on the ramifications of this but it does
seem a bit "Rube Goldberg"... one of the Expert Groups will come up with something
"lighter, stronger and faster" than this DRM enabled white elephant.
This'll make the news at some point... here's an early link.

Thanx,

Victor K.

[edit on 26-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I read about this ages ago: apparently, these new images formats have a record of how the pixels were arranged in the original photograph, and if you have the right stuff you can work out if its been played with a lot or not.

Don't remember much, but I got to say, don't buy into it! Microsoft already owns enough of this planet!

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   

I read about this ages ago: apparently, these new images formats have a record of how the pixels were arranged in the original photograph, and if you have the right stuff you can work out if its been played with a lot or not.

Well if that is true it seems to me like they are trying to make it easier to detect hidden images, as in steganography. If the file has a record of the original picture then there wouldn't be a need to send it through multiple filters to find the message. What do you think?

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
You'll love this! Already got some "technical difficultes" with WDP... from the "horses mouth" at the following link. this one's pretty "good" too at this link. There's more but that'd be belabouring the point and I don't want to "shoot fish in a barrel".

Thanx,

Victor K.

[edit on 26-5-2006 by V Kaminski]

new topics

top topics

join