It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Summer jobs wishlist thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Well, its summer and I can work full time dayshift again until fall- which means I can make respectable money. That means I'm thinking about how to spend it. I'm sure plenty of the younger members in highschool and college are thinking the same thing.

So let's hear it... what nifty toys are all of you materialistic weasels going to pick up this summer?

If all goes well, I expect ot have 5,000 disposable income racked up over this summer, not counting the winnings of my recent run at the craps tables (up 300 this week, planning to parlay that as far as I can- I've got a system where everytime I win I pocket half the winnings and add half to my bankroll to keep playing) Last time I had a run like this i made a little over 5k in 2 days. I'm hoping to recreate that tomorrow night, but i aint scared of working hard if that doesn't work out.

As for me, nothing really ambitious here.
Going to get a beat up 3rd gen camaro to work on- rebuild it myself and put a lot of elbow grease into the aesthetics. I'm figuring 1500 for the car and parts, and plan on having to nickel and dime it a bit later still.

I might get a bike too- nothing fancy, just something road-worthy enough to learn on.

Then of course there's the fact that I still dress like a construction worker that has to be addressed. I'm getting back into the gym and if I can meet my goals I'll be needing some new clothes. I'll probably switch to contacts from my glasses too.

And then i'll probably buy at least one gun. I need a decent revolver and shotgun for a variety of reasons. For one thing the neighborhood has gone to hell in a hand bag, for another I like to shoot for sport. Last but not least, I'm paranoid.

Yeah, cars, clothes, and guns... all the makings of a whole lot of trouble, eh? You're gonna have that though. If you can't judge your success in meaningful achievments you may as well do it in toys.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 04:25 AM
link   
well, being as that i'm a college student i don't plan on having much disposable income for the next several years, but it'd be nice to get some new clothes, a decent sheath-knife, and another tattoo this year. if i'm extremely lucky i'll get either a ps3 or a revolution...but i'd probably have to roll some school kids for that kinda dough.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   
There's lots of money out there, you've just got to commit yourself to getting your cut of it.
In my case, I know how to run some heavy equipment, and I aint afraid to bust my butt in 110+ degree heat, so as long as there is work (there should be since people dont normally take jobs down here in the summer if they can avoid it) I can make 30/hour- god bless the union

I may try my hand at freelance reporting... I can be a real persistent pain in the butt and my local paper couldn't cover politics to save its life. So I may try to string for them if they'll take my stories.

Then there's the creative stuff. Some people make a bundle trading, repairing, etc from dollar stores, penny savers, ebay, etc. Hear about that guy who bartered his way up from a novelty giant paper clip to a years free rent on a duplex using Craigslist?

Then there's my favorite: cars. You've gotta search a lot for a good buy- one that's hard on the eyes and has fixable probelms. Hit it hard with rubbing compound, a hot glue gun, cleaning supplies, etc, tune it up, and boom- if you played your cards right you can turn around 500-1,000 dollars profit on a junk car with a weeks work. Not that it's easy. A bad buy can really screw you, and selling isn't always easy. Not to mention how much looking and haggling you've got to do to get a deal you can make money on- though towing companies are usually a decent bet, because when they get the lein on one they've only got 500 bucks or so to recoup, and the rest is just gravy to them.

I'm gonna be trying a lot of hare-brained schemes this summer in addition to actually working. I've got a pretty nice little starwars collection that's coming due to be sold I think, but I'm going to try and maximize my profit by trading for goods or services instead of cash. An item that might fetch 100 dollars might just as easily fetch a used laptop or someone's ex-husband's tool chest.

No stone unturned and all that- I been working on this girl lately- we're great together but there's a definate gap in class and looks. She goes back to Japan for the summer and when she comes back next semester I mean to have that gap closed up at least a little.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
hell, i don't mind bustin' my hump, but all the jobs i can find out here are either filled by people who'll work for $6/hour or unattainable without some kind of experience - more extensive than i have. i've run heavy machinery before, but it was a while back and not for long.

what'd be nice is if i could find a gig fighting in some amateur league during my off time from school. i have no formal training aside from the street, but it's been serving me well and i'm a quick learner when it comes to getting my head kicked in (or, rather, prevet\nting it).

maybe i'll look into that. could be some money involved.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Iam washing boats this year again for 7 euro /hour and working 32 hours a week so thats a nice 220 euro a week , And basicly its gona be used for buying alochal and other stuff no entertain me during the summer months

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Well, enjoy your booze Marto.

Marto actually hasn't got a bad idea either. I've heard of something loosely related.
There's money in mobile auto detailing, depending where you live. I know a guy who does interior detailing on cars on call. You can call him into the parking lot at your workplace to polish up your ride without you wasting a minute.

As for fighting, I don't know about where you live, but in California the law frowns on most pugilism, except under certain anal-retentive circumstances. If you know how to brawl though, you should see about process serving or doing apprentice work for a PI or Repo company. The goal is really to NOT fight in those occupations, but generally people who can defend themselves are favored there.

top topics

join