It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dream Defense Budget!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Long time lurker, first time poster here... Let me give this a shot with a little comentary...

First, you really have to identify your threats and goals. Personally, I see two threats. First, militant Islam in the middle east represents a clear threat to US intrests both domestic and abroad. Second, China is clearly emerging as the main rival to US military dominance.

So, how do you deal with the 2 threats? Firstly, to deal with the ME, we need better human intel. We have the man power and equipment in place, but we can't really use it effeciently without the proper intel. To this end the US would need to beef up the CIA, Arabic recruiting, linguistic training, etc. The second part of the equation is the need to expand SOF. They are the guys who can collect intel from the ground, they are the guys that can whack leaders that need whacking, and they are most ideally suited to hunting down enemy insurgent groups.

In relation to China, we need a realistic plan to wage war with them. The main problem the US faces is having enough equipment in place on the eve of war to wheather the initial days.

To this end, the US army in particular is trying to get light. However, I'm not so sure this is the best idea. Frankly, you need heavy armor and indirect fire against a nation with over 100 million men of fighting age. To this end our logistic systems need an over-haul as well. Simply put, we need to be able to get our stuff in place as quickly as possible. Currently, there are two ideas being floated around that deal with this issue. The first is a giant airship. The second is a large low level transport aircraft (I believe the name is the pelican).

The USAF is going to need even greater quick response oriented. Sure, flying B-2's from the US in under 48 hours is impressive, but we need to get a fleet of heavy bombers in place that do it in under 5. This of course brings up the usual Aurora type bombers. Frankly, that's exactly what the US needs. On the fighter side, we have 2 good new jets in place to purchase, so I would focus on UCAVs which are cheaper.

The USN needs to deal with an ever increasing threat from Chinese submarine forces. In addition, they need to improve their survivability over-all. The problem with the Navy is that ships are so expensive to build and maintain, while also taking a long time to get into the field. If you lose a carrier, you aren't going to be able to replace it quickly enough. I like the current mind set of making them stealthy along with other ships like the DDX.

I also believe in Reagan doctrine... That one should push the bounds of it's military to such an extent that an enemy can not keep up. The missle defense shield is a must, but I would want plans in place to make it a credible deterence against Russia or China. Space based weapons are an idea that fits into the USAF quick reponse doctrine as well.

However, it is the common soldier that needs upgrading IMHO. It has been several hundred years since the grunt has had a revoltionary upgrade. To this end, DARPA needs to come up with something. In todays political spectrum, even light casualties are unexceptable. The soldiers abillity to get hit by enemy fire, and then survive, must be dramatically improved. Textiles and materials must be improved. Full and improved body armor must be developed. It needs to be light - ideally lighter then what the soldier uses today - and offer protection against fragmentation weapons as well as all common small arms fire.

Unfortunately, I am limited to 4,000 characters per post, so I will come back and give a detailed break down like Westpoint has done.

posted on Jun, 5 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
A long time ago and far away, America's military forces were under the WAR Department. The naval forces were, logically enough, under the Navy Department. Then, in 1947, the US reorganized its Armed Forces of the United States (AFUS) and established the Air Force (USAF) as a separate and equal branch of the Armed Forces. The status of the USMC was also changed, making it independent of the US Navy. We had 4 independent armed forces. The Coast Guard - USCG - had been under the Treasury Department in peacetime and under the War Department in wartime. The CG is now under the Department of Homeland Security in peacetime.

Whether for calculated and disingenuous motives or not, the same law changed the name of the War Department to Defense Department. Sheee-it, everybody is for defense, nobody is for war. Hmm? It may be of interest, at the close of War Two, the US National Debt exceeded the gross domestic product for one year. About $400 billion. That was for the whole war, from 1940 to 1945. Our GDP was about $350 billion in 1945.

The US had imposed war tax rates in 1941. The top tax bracket rate was 91%. That rate remained in effect until the JFK election, when it was reduced to 70%. Under Jimmy Carter it was lowered to 50%. Reagan lowered it to 28%. It is now 34%, down from Clinton’s 39.9%. Those high rates were the father (and mother) of the so-called “tax shelters.” The base corporate tax rate was 24%. Additionally, corporations were subject to an wartime “excess profits” tax rate of 50% which was calculated on prior earnings.

Entitlements. An “entitlement” is a law making everyone who meets certain criteria eligible to participate. For example, everyone in the US over 65 - soon to be 67 - who worked more than 10 years in covered employment, is eligible for social security payments for the remainder of his or her life. The monthly amount being dependant on his or her earnings record. An entitlement. Social security, Medicare and Medicaid (for the poor) are entitlements. About 60% of the US annual budget is in Entitlements. About 15% is debt service payment and he remaining part is called “discretionary.” The defense budget is in this category. Discretionary. About 25%. [Numbers are my own.]

Presently the entitlements, SS and Medicare, have trust funds which continue to be in surplus. One could therefor make a strong argument that the nation’s debt is incurred by war or defense spending. Or, by the discretionary sector of the budget, for sure.

Also part of discretionary spending is the Veterans Administration now called the Department of Veterans Affairs. I am a disabled American veteran and receive my medications from the VA. In 2000, the co-pay was $2. Per month. Per medication. In 2001, after Geo W took office, the co–pay for a 30 days supply of medicine was raised to $7. Beginning in 2005, the co-pay was raised again, to $8. (These amounts do not apply if you are confined to hospital.) You can see how the Democrats kept the co-pay at $2 and now, the same Geo W who says he “feels the hurt” for GIs in Iraq, has raised it 4X in just 5 years. Sweet Jesus, the Republicans surely do love the country’s veterans! And they show it!

Conclusion. To reach the total outlay for war or defense, one must add the major part of the 1) annual debt service charge to the total budget outlay for 2) Veterans, to the 3) current DoD budget, to reach the full cost America spends on war. Under Geo W, we are running the Afghan War and Iraq War in a novel accounting mode called, “off” budget. That is, the DoD does not forecast what it is likely to need. Rather, 3 or 4 times a years, it comes to Congress for supplemental funding. Doing it this way forecloses oversight committees examining the budget and questioning DoD officials because the money is for bills already incurred. Checks already written. Not that this Republican Congress would exercise oversight anyway. Who said, “Figures don’t lie, but Liars figure?”

[edit on 6/5/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Money for Iraq And Afghanistan

20 billion a year for the training and building of the Iraqi Army.
20 billion a year for the training and building of the Iraq Police Force.
40 billion for general reconstruction efforts inside Iraq.

10 billion a year for the training and building of the Afghan Army.
10 billion a year for the training and building of the Afghan Police Force.
20 billion a year for general reconstruction efforts inside Afghanistan.

120 billion a year for both wars.

Military Relief Funds

CERP (Commanders Emergency Relief Program) 1 billion for each of these countries. Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Indoneshia, Malaysia, India, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Somalia, Sudan and Kenya. For a total of 12 billion a year for small relativey inexpensive projects around those countries.

Foreign Military Aid

South Korea 5 billion a year
India 3 billion a year
Malaysia 1 billon a year
Indoneshia 1 billion a year
Phillipines 1 billion a year
Japan 3 billion a year
Singapore 1 billion a year
Israel 5 billion a year
South Africa 4 billion a year
Egypt 2 billion a year
Jordan 1 billion a year
UK 3 billion a year
Sweden 1 billion a year
Norway 1 billion a year
Pakistan 2 billion a year
Australia 1 billion a year
New Zealand 1 billion a year
Germany 1 billion a year
Poland 1 billion a year
Taiwan 10 billion a year

total 48 billion a year in major military aid

Better Military Housing

5 billion a year for North American Housing Units

5 billion a year for European Housing Units

5 billion a year for Pacific and Asian Housing Units.

5 billion a year for Mediteranean and Middle Eastern Housing Units.

total 20 billion a year

DOD Heath Care Program

25 billion a year

Advanced Medical Equipment and Facilites

12.5 billion a year

Military Benefits Program

Education Programs 10 billion a year
Retirement 10 billion a year
Money for Prior Service 10 billion a year

total 30 billion a year

Money for Salaries

150 billion a year

Money to reduce the size of US Forces

20 billion a year for the army

20 billon a year for the navy

20 billion a year for the air force

10 billion a year for the Marine Corps

5 billion a year for the special forces

total 75 billion a year

Money for procurment, operations and maintenace

200 billion a year

[edit on 7-6-2006 by blue cell]

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Ok looking back at my budget I think I have to redo it yet again! I have to make a timetable for gradual reductions of certain costs. It will be very long gonna be some hard work!

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Blue Cells Dream Budget from 2006 to 2020

R&D organized by Military Services

Army R&D

NLOS-C (non-line of sight cannon) 2 billion a year intill 2010 then 1 billion a year for two years.
This vehicle recieves more funding then some of the other vehicles because it has more risk involved. The cannon with either be an EM (electro-magnetic) or ETC (electo-thermal-chemical) gun. This a revolutionary technology so more money will be needed for potential setbacks.

MCS (mounted combat system) 2 billion a year: same path as the NLOS-C
This vehicle has to be extremely light but at the same time have enough armor to protect it from all types of threats. A significant amount of money will be used in composite armor, electro-magnetic armor and many other types of light but strong armor. Also revolutionary weapons will be used in this vehicle which could mean potential setbacks

ICV (infantry carrier vehicle) 1 billion a year intill 2010
This vehicle will need to be light but highly protected and have room enough for plenty of soldiers and their equipment to be packed in there comfortably. That is why I chose to spend 1 billion a year on it.

R&SV (recon & surveillance vehicle) 1 billion a year intill 2008
I want this vehicle to have revolutionary electronic surveliance capabilites therefore it will be equiped with the most revolutionary sensors and computers to analyze that data.

MedVac (medical and evacuation vehicle) 1 billion a year intill 2008

This vehicle has to be fast but amply protected and also I want it to have room for advanced medical equipment. It also needs to have space so all types of doctors can work effiecently in treating the injured persons wounds.

&MV (recovery and maintenance vehicle) 500 million a year same as last vehicle
I don't place that big of a deal on this vehicle just needs to have a strong tow capacity.

C2-V (command and control vehicle) 1 billion a year intill 2008
This vehicle needs to have state of the art communications and computers that can help commanders make decisions throught 3D illustrations.

NLOS-M (non-line of sight mortar) 500 million a year intill 2008
This vehicle needs to have extremely good accuracy in shooting mortar rounds, and it must also do it fast and efficently.

ARV (armed robotic vehicle) 500 million a year same as last

This is an unmanned system and it needs to be programed to know what to do in all types of certain situations and what weapon to use in different types of engagements.

UGV (unmanned ground vehicle) 500 million a year same as last

This could be unmanned ground surveliance, base security, etc this vehicle must be able to follow the area's it must patrol and at the same time be situationly aware of whats happening around it.

SUAV 500 million a year same as last

This unmanned aircraft would be able to fly into small spaces and report enemy activity in building complexes, therefore I would want good situational awareness capabilites and good sensors to monitor voices.

OAV 250 million a year intill 2010

This vehicle would be small enough to fly around cites and report about the enemy with out being seen, I would want a quiet engine and good sensors to see around corners and past buildings make sure it didn't run into the enemy.

5 billion a year Objective Force Warrior intill 2010
This is a family of systems to make the individual soldier more effective.

2 billion a year Intelligent Munition Systems this program would go on indefinitly

This would improve our motar and artillary shells accuracy.

1 billion a year radar and other sensor equipment. This program would go on indefinitly.

We need to be able to detect the enemy from far away

18.75 billion a year

Navy R&D

DDX (future advanced destroyer) 4 billion a year for 4 years
Because of the revolutionary weapons that will be fielded on this warship, I am refering to the EM gun and PVLS (Peripheral Vertical Launching System) which will increase the number of missiles that can be stored on each destroyer. This is why I would invest so much money into it. Also the automated manning systems that help reduce the crew of the destroyer is another reason why I would invest that much into it

CVN-21 (21st century aircraft carrier) 4 billion a year for 4 years

The new carrier would feature automated manning systems, advanced launch and recovery systems and a smaller island that has to accomplish the same tasks with less room.

FAS (future attack sub) 4 billion a year 4 years

The future attack sub would feature revolutionary technologies in the areas of reduced manning, reduced sound, propulsion, and weapons handling and launching. And of course be able to launch multipe UUV's for certain missions. Therefore it would need maximum funds to experiment with new systems and ideas.

CVX (future advanced cruiser) 2 billion a year for 4 years

This is half the DDX's cost because some of the systems from the DDX will be incorporated into this ship, but it will still be a revolutionary design because it is the next genereation cruiser.

LCS (Littoral Combat Ship) 1 billion a year for 5 years

The Littoral Combat Ship is a pretty simple design it has to be fast and is geared to do certain missions so I want to make sure it is fully equiped to carry out its mission beyond any preset standards.

Munitions 2 billion a year indefinitly

I want to make sure the land attack and sea defense munitions have long range, destructive power and accuracy to the max.

FSSBN (future nuclear missile sub) 2 billion a year for 4 years

The next generation Nuclear Missile Sub must be extremely quiet and be able to detect threats from miles away. And also be able to launch UUV's to patrol around the sub so it can warn it of any potential threats.

UUV's ( unmanned underwater vehicles) 2 billion a year indefinitly

UUV's would have to have extremely good situational awareness and also be able to launch all types of weapons, sensors and perhaps even smaller UUV's to patrol around subs or carry out other important missions.

2 billion a year advanced Sonar and other acoustic sensors indefinitly

25 billion a year

US Air Force R&D

SkyCat1000 1 billion a year for 5 years

Because of the wide range of capabilites SkyCat1000 has (global lift capabilites, airship arsenal and aircraft launcher) it will need to go throught many tests and have many variations. This is why it is allocated this much money.

Pelican Transport and other future transport planes 1 billion a year for 5 years

Because of the multiple capabilities transport planes must have, long range, huge payload and they must be able to land on small airfields.

Future Helicopter Transport 1 billion a year for 4 years

This future helicopter must be stealthy but at the same time have be able to have a good payload and be able to carry many troops while also being protected from all types of weapons.

Future Attack Helicopter 2 billion a year for 5 years

This helicopter must be extremely stealthy while at the same time fast, agile and lethal. It must be able to carry a huge weapons load, and also have all types of advanced sensors.

AC-X Replacement Gunship 1 billion a year for 2 years
The new gunship must have even more firepower and precision then the one before it. Special Munitions must be made more and bigger guns must be installed. The aircraft must be more fast and agile to be able to escape tommorow's threats.

KC-X Future Refueling Aircraft 1 billion a year for 5 years
The new refueling aircraft must be able to hold and disperse more fuel faster and more efficently then the aircraft before it. It also must be able to have long range and be more low observable then before.

ABLA (airborne laser aircraft) 1 billion a year for 4 years
Extensive tests must be done and this aircraft must be able to counter a variety of threats just not scud missiles.

X-47 UCAV-N 1 billion a year 5 years
This aircraft must be able to land and take off from aircraft carriers, be steathy, agile, fast and lethal all at the same time.

X-45 UCAV 1 billion a year 5 years
This aircraft has to carry a good payload, have revolutionary sensors, be able to tell what targets on the ground are enemy and what are friendly. Be stealthy , fast, agile and be able to excute many tactics to destroy enemy aircraft, evade enemy weapons, and destroy ground targets.

B-3 Future Bomber 1 billion a year 20 years
This bomber must have a huge payload, good range, steathy, agile, fast, good sensors and be able to launch a variety of weapons.

Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR) 1 billion a year 5 years
This system must be able to takeoff and land verticaly have a good weapons payload and be able to conduct multiple maneuvers.

Munitions 2 billion a year indefinitly
These future munitions must have range, steath and explosive power beyond current munitons.

Advanced Radar and other sensor systems: 2 billion a year indefinitly
Pilots must be able to detect threats in there area of operations from very far away they must have the advantage of knowing were there enemy is coming from and at what speed, etc.

Unmanned Transport Helicopter 1 billon a year for five years

This system must be able to land troops and equipment with precision and steath.

total 17 billion a year

b][Strategic R&D

Missile Defense Systems 5 billion a year for 4 years
Nuclear Missile Upgrades 1 billion a year for 5 years

6 billion a year

[edit on 8-6-2006 by blue cell]

posted on Jun, 8 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I like a budget to go on and develope rayguns , energy weapons , plasma based weapons and bombs , exotic weapons, materials, new steatlh design a go ahead on visible , ir and radar steatlh ect, a new energy device , new propulsion, for onearth use like gravity modification or something like that, and a faster then light propulsion system like the one based on Burkhard Heim's theory ,
maglev slingshot launch system,
weapons which are multi diminional based creating gravitons for the creation of a short mini wormhole on a target area ripping everything appart and creating time delaysions,
forcefields , ect.

cost ??? unknown , how much allready excist ... half of it. in black projects.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join