It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear power in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The time has come for a debate here over the "clean" alternative, over Fossil Fuels, of setting up Nuclear Power Stations here in Australia.
How do the rest of the ATS members feel about your own Power Stations , for those of you that have this Nuclear Energy, etc - Are they "safe' in your opinion and how did your Governments overcome the issues over public opinion and hte threat of a "Terrorist" type incident?

Peace

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yeah, we have one reactor here, in Sydney right? You really don't hear all that much about it.

But there are many other options to nuke power.

Have you heard about the CSIRO project in the middle of the desert? It is a field of mirrors arranged in a 50 kilometre wide square, and will be able to generate all of Australia’s energy needs. "It has been developed by mixing solar energy, heat and natural gas."

But have you heard about this amazing advancement? No! Why not? I could guess, and so could you, but would prefer not to.

". . . provide all of Australia's electricity needs in 2020."

We should be focusing on alternatives like this, not toxic waste producing nuclear power.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Prime Minister Howard is on his way back from Ireland today and is set to open a public debate on whether we should have nuclear power as a way of dropping our reliance on fossil fuels.
The Mirror Array option will be debated but I suppose it will be more to do with private sector investment as is the way of the world.
I didn't catch where you were from but if you have a reactor anywhere near you - do you feel safe?

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The nuclear option was big news over in NZ.

Personally, I think a power station is a good idea. Like it or not, coal and hydro schemes aren't really viable for:

1. Environmental reasons

2. Lack of rain.

I wish we had a reactor in NZ, maybe we can shove it on the Chatham Islands... who knows.

As for the reactor out of Sydney. You might remember, around the time leading up to the Sydney Olympics, police in Auckland raided a house that was occupied by a bunch of Middle Eastern men who had detailed maps of the location of the reactor and photos pinned to a wall where meetings were regularly held.

I have no idea what has happened since, or even if there was a court case, but the point is that if a reactor was going to be made, it would have to be pretty much bomb proof. Imagine what might have happened if the terrorists had flown the planes into the reactors in NYC on 9/11. Ewww.

top topics

join