It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Saddam Hussein trial 'circus"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
LINK to INDY STAR

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Guards grabbed Saddam Hussein's only female defense attorney and pulled her from the courtroom Monday, and the chief judge shouted down the deposed Iraqi leader - a raucous start to a new session of his trial.

Defense lawyer Bushra Khalil had been removed from an April trial session for arguing with chief judge Raouf Abdel-Rahman. Monday's shouting began after the judge told her she was now allowed back in court, but she insisted on knowing why she had been removed in the first place.

Khalil pulled off her judicial robe in anger and threw it on the floor, then tried to push away guards who grabbed her hands, yelling, "Get away from me."

Khalil pulled off her judicial robe in anger and threw it on the floor, then tried to push away guards who grabbed her hands, yelling, "Get away from me."

As she was pulled out of the court, Saddam - sitting in the defendants' pen - objected. Abdel-Rahman told him to be silent. "I'm Saddam Hussein, president of Iraq. I am above you and above your father," Saddam shouted back.

"You are a defendant now, not a president," the judge barked.

Okay, I understand that the atmosphere can get a little wild in a courtroom under the best of circumstances, but the stories being written about Saddam make it sound as if it is the Wild Wild West in that particular courtroom.

Can the judge be replaced if he lets things get much more out of control in the courtroom?

Is there law that pertains to Saddam that guarantees him the right of a speedy trial, and he would then use his outbursts in court to delay the proceedings, giving him the opportunity to challenge his right to a speedy trial?

How long will this go before the judge gets everyone involved reined in and the trial can be brought to a close?

*Shakes head in frustration*

Bleh.

I just want to see him tried, see the evidence layed out and have it over with.

JDub

join