It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Base - America's forgotten secret base?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I was digging through the book: Dark Eagles: A History Of Top Secret US Aircraft, in the beginning of book it mention's a little known Top Secret base Called North Base. It says it's part of Edward's Air Force Base. At first I didn' t pay much attenchen to it, but then I got a map of Calafonia out to look at. The so-called "North Base" is suppose to be on a dry lake bed in the nothern part of Edward's, but nothing appears around the lake bed. Does anyone know anything about North Base? What do you think may be there now?

Tim

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
North Base aka Operable Unit 10;
This site has info on it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Officially North Base is used for advanced propulsion research (feel free to think about hypersonic research & development when you think of North Base), and workers are brought in via Janet Air just like the A51 workers are (yes, A51 is still an operable, viable facility).

Just for reference, Lockheed's Skunkworks and Northrop's similar secret facility are both located on the southend of Edwards.

Unlike A51, there are some parts of North Base that are actually open to public - and I might add that there are few if any reports of UFO or unexplained aerial phenomena eminating from around that facilty.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
North Base was built n 1942 as Muroc Flight Test Base. It was the site for testing secret jet aircraft projects (XP-59, XP-80). Later, it was used for testing the B-45 and F-89.

When the "new" Main Base complex was built at Edwards in 1950, the old Muroc Army Airfield (renemed Muroc AFB in 1947 and later Edwards AFB) became South Base while Muroc FTB became North Base.

In 1957, North Base became home to the U-2 detachment, after it left Groom Lake.

In the 1970s and 1980s, North Base housed the 6513th Test Squadron "Red Hats." that unit tested Soviet aircraft at Groom until it became the 413th Flight test Squadron "Bombcats" in the early 1990s and became involved with electronic warfare (EW) testing. A few years ago, the 413th was inactivated and absorbed into the EW Directorate.

North Base has included, at one time or another, the Red Hats/Bomcats/EW compound (a highly secure facility), the 18th Space Surveillance Squadron, and the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory's Edwards annex.

I had a rare opportunity to visit the Bombcats compound in 1999.

The EW Directorate still has facilities there and the airstrip is used by the King Air commuter fligths to Groom and Tonopah.

new topics

join