It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why We Cant Know About Other Lifeforms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Theres actually a good reason why we cant know of aliens or lifeforms from other planets. A reason why we actually SHOULDN'T know, and should explore space.

why?

Well look at the world we live in. Do you see peace anywhere in sight? We want to meet other lifeforms? We havent even learned to respect the ones on this planet. We want to make peace with other lifeforms to learn from them? We cant even stop the countless genocides that occur repeatedly. We want peace with another lifeform, yet we cant even see past skin color. Different planets? We cant even respect the one we life on, or even keep peace on it. In fact we are more likely to nuke it then stop the wars.

So why do you think we should know about other lifeforms? We cant even make peace with one...our own, so why should be a different lifeform be any different? Probably be even worse, since they are more different then anything we have ever known.

The only reason we would see a UFO is if its watching how primitive we are. Why we do the things we do. They are never going to try to make themselves known, because our reactions would be bad overall. If we can genocide a person based on just there skin color, imagine a totally different species. Theres never been peace between us, because we still fear what we dont know.

Thats why we cant know about other lifeforms, because we will treat them the same way we treat people from a different country or race, we will try to destroy them. Use them, and benefit off of them.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I dont know if we would try to destroy them or use them.

Actually I dont think so.

The world and the people in this world is in trouble, we fight each other we

pollute our planet, there is over 1 billion people starving in the world, our religion

makes us close to use another a-bomb.(Iran)

I think that if another life-form came to earth, we would probably see them more

as goods and look up to them, because of their technology and we might think that

they could solve our problems, problems we made ourselves.(environment)

And I think that "They" are aware of that and thats one of the reasons why they

dont show themselves.

Thats just the way I see it

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
wouldnt make much sense for them not to help us, other then the fact we would act violent toward them. Way too many fear what they dont understand. As soon as they fear they act irrational. That leads to violence. Religion would go haywire, people would be afraid, people would become only more violent because it only adds on to what we dont understand.

Its our reaction that makes us so dangerous, because we act before anything else. History speaks better then we do, and history says we act violent to anything we dont understand, and we show we dont care to understand when we can simply kill.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I agree with you grimreaper. I am glad you said that. I think that is exactly why they won't and can't show theirselves to us. It will probably be another century and several wars later before we get to see them interacting with us on a daily basis.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by SonyaChristina]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I agree, If we are being observed, they probably see us as having more in common with the gorillas or some other wild animal. Surely conflict and disagreements are seen as completely barbaric in higher civilizations.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   
do you think that the aliens would not have had wars of their own? supposing they are more advanced then us, it would make sense that they would have had more war then we have imagined. War is natural. like it or not, it has to happen. good eventually comes from it, there will never, ever be complete peace, until a singular world government brainwashes and computer chips people to only think happy thoughts.

aliens will come to earth when they are advanced enough. (or vise versa). they have not come yet.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Its not conflict and disagreement that makes us primitive and barbaric, its acting on emotions and instinct (fear in particular) that makes us primitive and barbaric. We are at a point where we have a conscious and emotions. The emotions like fear and such are things that were there to warn us of danger. A primitive instinct to save ourselves, because thats all that was important to the primitive being. It only had the psychological stage of ID, so it really didnt have the process of thought.

We are acting on our emotions rather then our thought. We were given thought for a reason, and we have yet to learn how to use it right. Questions are the most basic form of evolution amoung us. Too bad we dont know how to use it.

Thing is until we can act on rational rather then pure emotion, we cant ever progress. We cause violence and destruction because of our emotions controlling our thoughts. Its not a bad thing to have emotions, in fact it is the heart of living, but its the understanding of how to control them thats most important. We have far from mastered this.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yes of course they will have had the wars of there own, but how many need to die, and history repeat itself before you say "wait a second, look how many times this has happened...yet we are here again"

its like a fly that continuously goes to the light, gets shocked, and if it doesnt die...flies toward the light again. How many times does it need to get shocked before it says "this isnt helping any?" we are the fly, and the light is these wars. How many need to die, and how many times does it have to reoccur before we say, this isnt solving anything in the long run. sure it always solved the immediate problem, but what does it accomplish in the long run?

any person not willing to listen is not worth talking to, but never attack them for it. Defend yourself when attacked, but never cast the first stone. Avoid it if you can, because if your thinking you will see it coming. Disagreements are the best form of learning, but never let emotions take the best of you. Anyone who has learned to fully control their emotions knows the benefit of doing so.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Interaction with other forms of life would undoubtably be beneficial to our evolution - but only within members of the populace who are balanced and objective enough to recieve such information.

Will all the fears and misonceptions surrounding the matter, (not to mention the obvious shortcomings of our race) it is completely understandable why the majority of us will not be privy to such a prospect on a mass scale.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
"Well look at the world we live in. Do you see peace anywhere in sight? We want to meet other lifeforms? We havent even learned to respect the ones on this planet."

The catch 22 is everyone isn't always going to get along. And your always going to have some sort of conflict so why not let the cat out of the bag? A revelation about ET visitation may actually be a good thing. A type of reality check for the Earthlings. You only get one home world so make it a good one.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
your missing the point, ive said not everyone will get along. We arent evolved enough to see past the fact that just because you dont get along doesnt mean there needs to be a problem. That logical responses cant overcome the emotional ones.

Reality for most would crumble with such a revelation, we dont have the acceptence. Many people have had a hard time excepting people wtih a different color skin, you think they are going to except the fact of Intelligence superior to ours, by something that isnt even human? yea right, if something on this earth became as intelligent as human beings, we would probably try to kill it because we cant understand it and would fear its possible actions.

We are afraid of the unknown, and one of the biggest unknowns is the future.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I think war is a necessary ingredient in all intelligent species. I would not be surprised if there's millions of wars going on in far away planets right now as we speak. Perhaps someday a very advanced species will be able to show its superiority over most other alien species, conquering planets left and right and right and left, and then they will come upon us.

We must be ready to face this challenge. We must spread into many planets and moons, we cannot just sit here in Earth. We are so vulnerable right now, alien species with far superior technology have long ago discovered us, they could have wiped us out thousands of years ago. Perhaps these alien species have chosen to study us, to observe us and document our progress as time goes by. We've been very lucky so far, but an aggresive alien species might arrive any day.

Our pathetic weapons would almost certainly not be enough to stop an invasion. Will our watchers protect us? Or have they been too peaceful for far too long to be of any help militarily? We cannot rely on our watchers, we must improve our weapons, we must spread across the planets. War is a good thing, it keeps us on our toes, war allows for the advance of technology.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by Leto]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
you think any of those militant species are still living? your acting like they would just conquer it for selfish greed. that they would be violent for the sake of it. Tell me what is the benefit? Starting a war, what would be the benefit of conquering all the planets? The only way that would be possible is a species like ours getting technology to it before we should and running around local solar systems trying to use their resources in greed, in which we would probably still get destroyed by a race seeing this threat of such an aggresive primitive race.

Tell me, what has war ever accomplished other then death and an immediate solution to the long term problem that isn't solved? Surely you can benefit more from something living rather then something not, especially with the advancements you would have.

Im going to take it that youve never experienced war or anything to that extent. Youve never had anybody die in your arms, because of violence over some bad feelings between two groups. So I doubt you understand what Im talking about when I say war is the ultimate waste. The most destructive power that kills advancement. How many have to die around you before you say nothing is worth this?

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I think that we would try to get the know how of there weapons to use against other countries. Now that would be a dangerous path to go down

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Reality for most would crumble with such a revelation, we dont have the acceptence. Many people have had a hard time excepting people wtih a different color skin, you think they are going to except the fact of Intelligence superior to ours, by something that isnt even human?

I think our modern culture and technology has evolved to the point that society could handle the revelation of extraterrestrial intellectual life. You have to face reality. You can't live in the past with a bureaucracy of secrecy. People don't freak out when they see an alien in a movie or an exotic looking animal at the zoo. If you asked most younger people what they thought about the disclosure of alien life visiting Earth they would say "cool." I'm sure most X/Y-gens wouldn't have a problem with it nor would they be surprised. Most people wouldn't be surprised in 2006. It's not 1952 anymore.

[edit on 20-5-2006 by moog synthesizer]

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   

you think any of those militant species are still living? your acting like they would just conquer it for selfish greed. that they would be violent for the sake of it. Tell me what is the benefit? Starting a war, what would be the benefit of conquering all the planets? The only way that would be possible is a species like ours getting technology to it before we should and running around local solar systems trying to use their resources in greed, in which we would probably still get destroyed by a race seeing this threat of such an aggresive primitive race.

Tell me, what has war ever accomplished other then death and an immediate solution to the long term problem that isn't solved? Surely you can benefit more from something living rather then something not, especially with the advancements you would have.

Im going to take it that youve never experienced war or anything to that extent. Youve never had anybody die in your arms, because of violence over some bad feelings between two groups. So I doubt you understand what Im talking about when I say war is the ultimate waste. The most destructive power that kills advancement. How many have to die around you before you say nothing is worth this?

I wouldn't be surprised if there's many militant species out there, and I wouldn't be surprised either if they haven't been able to chart out the entire universe yet. Today we know our universe is huge, but I think it's even bigger than we can imagine.

Why do you think it's not possible for species to go around conquering for greed? We've done it ourselves, many times! Did we not conquer America for greed? The native americans lost their home because they were unprepared. We must not make that same mistake, we must prepare ourselves, we must spread to many planets, we must improve our weapons and technology.

You ask what would be the benefit of conquering all planets. The benefit is obvious to me, it would ensure the survival of your species! There will be some pecies that prefer to protect their boundaries and feel that there's no need to expand, but there will be some species who will feel otherwise, this is inevitable.

Yes war is nasty, but it is necessary. Thanks to WW1 and WW2 we created atomic weapons, better fighter planes, better weapons. Thanks to the Cold War we raced against the Russians to get man into space.

War does not kill advancement, the opposite is true. War, the struggle to survive, is the reason we keep advancing. Peace is dangerous, all politicians speak positively about peace but they really don't mean it. Peace equals stagnation equals death. We must never grow complacent!

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a movie is fake, and the zoo is some caged animal. A lifeform more intelligent then us is, for most, laughable. we havent evolved that much either. Stop looking at the tools we use and start looking at the personality of the person, the way they act and react. You dont evolve with tools (science) you evolve through the mind. We havent changed at all since then. We are still governable by fear and mind tricks. Terrorism is like the new age communism, playing off the same type of fear.

What would be the point of a military type species? Trying to compare a species probably thousands to millions of years ahead of us is pointless. Lol you sound like some sort of republican war monger or something, protection through preemptive violence? You know whats funny, you say we should defend against a military race by being a military race.

Yes we made weapons more effienct, now we can actually achive extinction by our own hands! I think some one has brainwashed you into thinking that in order to fully defend youself you have to kill the person who may possibly kill you. That way you can keep yourself safe. Think it through, you come across a race of species minding their own, but you expand in defense. Piss them off and we find out that they are 50X more advanced then us and simply wipe us out completely? You only fight what attacks you first.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leto
The native americans lost their home because they were unprepared.

I recommend the documentary: Guns, Germs, & Steel

Originally posted by LetoYou ask what would be the benefit of conquering all planets. The benefit is obvious to me, it would ensure the survival of your species! There will be some pecies that prefer to protect their boundaries and feel that there's no need to expand, but there will be some species who will feel otherwise, this is inevitable.

Space expansion would be beneficial.
There is no need to conquer other planets.

Yes war is nasty, but it is necessary. Thanks to WW1 and WW2 we created atomic weapons, better fighter planes, better weapons. Thanks to the Cold War we raced against the Russians to get man into space.

War in the 20th century proved that pitting nations against each other with advanced weaponry would be the ultimate destruction of the human race.

War does not kill advancement, the opposite is true. War, the struggle to survive, is the reason we keep advancing. Peace is dangerous, all politicians speak positively about peace but they really don't mean it. Peace equals stagnation equals death. We must never grow complacent!

That's reptile brain thinking.
It's like trying to justify murder. You must get over your primitive, savage instincts.
Once you reach a certain point where you have weapons that can destroy all life on Earth. Then war becomes counterproductive.
There is also a danger in the military-industrial complex provoking a war with an advanced alien species. All it would take is one intelligence failure in underestimating their abilities to compromise the entire human race.

[edit on 21-5-2006 by moog synthesizer]

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   

a movie is fake, and the zoo is some caged animal. A lifeform more intelligent then us is, for most, laughable. we havent evolved that much either. Stop looking at the tools we use and start looking at the personality of the person, the way they act and react. You dont evolve with tools (science) you evolve through the mind. We havent changed at all since then. We are still governable by fear and mind tricks. Terrorism is like the new age communism, playing off the same type of fear.

What would be the point of a military type species? Trying to compare a species probably thousands to millions of years ahead of us is pointless. Lol you sound like some sort of republican war monger or something, protection through preemptive violence? You know whats funny, you say we should defend against a military race by being a military race.

Yes we made weapons more effienct, now we can actually achive extinction by our own hands! I think some one has brainwashed you into thinking that in order to fully defend youself you have to kill the person who may possibly kill you. That way you can keep yourself safe. Think it through, you come across a race of species minding their own, but you expand in defense. Piss them off and we find out that they are 50X more advanced then us and simply wipe us out completely? You only fight what attacks you first.

You ask what would be the point of a military type species. The answer is obvious, survival. Comparing ourselves to a more advanced species isn't pointless, what would be pointless however is to sit down and do nothing about it.

"You know whats funny, you say we should defend against a military race by being a military race."

What exactly is funny about that? We are a military race, and we will forever be a military race. Do you honestly think the best defense is peace?

I don't support pre-emptive strikes, but I do support the continuing advancement of our weapons and space exploration technology. I feel space colonization is of utmost importance to ensure our survival.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 01:01 AM
link   

a movie is fake, and the zoo is some caged animal. A lifeform more intelligent then us is, for most, laughable. we havent evolved that much either.

History often repeats itself.
When Europeans first heard of African tribes and Native Americans through exploration there was a certain amount of fear and resentment but they eventually got over it.
On the filp side we have evolved enough so we do have a comprehension of technology. A UFO/ET is not considered a God. These are more modern times.
My grandfather was telling me how the circus coming through town was considered a big deal. You didn't see wild exotic animals from Africa. Now going to the zoo or the circus, some nature program on television is not really that big of a deal. The same would apply to ET's. At first a shock to the system but then it would quickly be accepted as the norm. The risk the government is taking is an unexpected disclosure.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join