It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

boeing hypersonic fighter?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I found this picture from a mass website. I have no idea about this so have to ask.
The shape looks like a hypersonic fighter. Who can introduce it to me?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Su-27 meets theh Avro Arrow. Looks old, sp I expect the project was cancelled for some reason. Most likely spiraling cost.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Not hypersonic, air intakes wrong shape.

Note the exhaust venting over the upper surface of the fuselage - probably to reduce IR signature to ground. EDIT - me stupid, as waynos points out, its both above and below it - for TVC reasons.

I'd guess this is a concept drawing for the ATF program or similar. Maybe the same era of work that produce the F-20.

[edit on 19-5-2006 by kilcoo316]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think it could be a concept sketch for the LWF project that led to the F-16.

Check this website for more information on the LWF programme.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I agree, I was going to say it has a definite 1980 feel to it. Also the TVC plate at the tail was being touted a lot around then, as you can see from the upper and lower plans it is mounted centrally in the exhaust so that the efflux, in level flight, passes both above and below it. For TVC it was hinged at the rear and the forward edge moved upwards or downwards to deflect the thrust, this sort of nozzle was shown on several Rockwell and Boeing designs.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Looks very nice my Friend but I have to agree it looks old, circa 70s /80s.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
From the side it almost looks like a tomcat... I'd say a completely different project... not hypersonic... it does look kinda futuristic...

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
I found this picture from a mass website. I have no idea about this so have to ask.
The shape looks like a hypersonic fighter. Who can introduce it to me?

The missle mounts above the wings show an older 70's line of thinking on that sketch IMO. Cool concept though kinda like a needle look to it.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I hadnt even noticed the missiles were above the wings! Did that design feature ever make it into production?

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:18 AM
link   
I am no expert, but it looks like something Gerry Anderson had a hand in.

...and this a second line so I don't get a warn.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The Jaguar has missiles above the wings, but the one on that picture are more like over the fuselage, which feature appears to be a direct lift from a 1950's Supermarine design (the guys who made the Spitfire).

Vickers Supermarine 559

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Why do these sketches always look better than the eventual aircraft?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
It's a Vickers 559, designed in Britain as a competition between different aircraft companies in the mid to late 50's as a high altitude and fast climbing interceptor. It has the same engines as the English Electric Lightning and two extra rocket engine to increase climb rate. They eventually favoured the Saunders Roe SR 53, but that was also cancelled due to spiralling cost and the changes in Britains defence needs at the time.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yes, the one I posted was the type 559, which is what I said, and as I also said, it was designed by Supermarine.

Still no nearer to ID'ing emiles Boeing though.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by emile

Looks like an older concept design, maybe from the 70's.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Why is it nessecarily a Boeing? back then there were numerous companies who came up with doomed ideas. This looks more of a General Dynamics design anyway.

Personally I have never understood the point of a hypersonic fighter, unless it could turn on a sixpence, it would be completely pointless.

Jensy

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
See, I was going to say Rockwell, but that's just me.

It looks vaguely familiar, but I cannot place it. Definitely early 80's.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The more I look at it the more I think it looks fake. It seems to hint at numerous design techniques but not actually work coherently.

The cockpit an and surrouding wing area looks very f-16 like, but the rest of it looks more like something from 'thunderbirds'. It also looks like it would sit very stangely bearing in mind where it landing gear is situated.

Jensy

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jensy

It's Boeing's MicroFighter Concept from the Light Weight Fighter (LWF) Competition. Go to www.secretprojecs.co.uk. Type "Boeing Micro Fighter" in the search bar and it's all there for you.

Moonbat

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The original Boeing pic is the Boeing 985-213 Microfighter, a late 70s / early 80s project for a minimum size fighter. More info can be found on secretprojects.co.uk forum including a wind tunnel model, which shows that some serious work did go into this concept. The extreme wing sweep is due to trying to fit inside the fuselage of a 747 or C-5.

The genesis of this project was back in the early 1970s with a study for fighters to be carried inside and launched from a C-5 or 747 a bit like a budget version of Battlestar Galactica.

The earlier version of the Microfighter design and a description of the concept can be found here:

www.dtic.mil...

[edit on 23-12-2008 by overscan]

[edit on 23-12-2008 by overscan]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join