It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facinating Laser warfare article

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 09:49 PM
link   
www.oaklandtribune.com...

As an offshoot, few in the Pentagon are grappling with the implications of highly mobile laser forces:

Are military computers and commanders ready for entirely automated weapons that deliver instant, lethal blasts of energy and can be retargeted in seconds? Lasers under testing for air defense already offer that capability. Fully automated firing on offensive targets is a short step behind.

"When you develop the capability to track, target and destroy something in a second, then the temptation to remove humans from the decision cycle becomes very great," said Loren Thompson, chief operating officer at the Lexington Institute, an Arlington, Va.-based defense think tank.

Will U.S. forces fire lasers on humans? International treaty forbids the use of lasers for blinding people. But there is no legal ban on striking humans. U.S. Special Operations Command wants to load a medium-power laser alongside artillery and miniguns on a future version of the AC-130 gunships that since Vietnam have been a mainstay of special forces attacks on ground targets. The laser's power could blow tires and ignite gas tanks, but wouldn't be lethal for tanks or armored vehicles.

"It would be a very long-range, ultra-accurate sniper rifle," suggests John Pike, a weapons expert and director of GlobalSecurity.org.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Sounds like there has been some pretty significant technology developed in secret for the past few years!

Or is this another "Star Wars" ploy?

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I think that they are 'leaking' the information to prepare people for when it comes out. Also I imagine that the tech we read of is old enough, or vaguly described enough, to be safe to release.

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   
"No longer are laser guns the stuff of Hollywood and Strategic Defense Initiative fantasy."

Fantasy?! If this is found to be real and literal, then it would have never been properly considered "fantasy" in the first place.....would it not? This is quite fascinating and has real world purposes and consequences....
This is or can be highly destructive and with almost instantaneous effect or effects. Gene Roddenbery would be proud......Phasers anyone?!

regards
seekerof

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I read that in an article in my local newspaper today. I found it very interesting..and it had a picture of a laser, that they finally got stable enough to cut through a piece of thick metal. It was pretty cool.

-wD

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MKULTRA

Sounds like there has been some pretty significant technology developed in secret for the past few years!

Or is this another "Star Wars" ploy?

Originally posted by Netchicken
I think that they are 'leaking' the information to prepare people for when it comes out. Also I imagine that the tech we read of is old enough, or vaguly described enough, to be safe to release.

MKULTRA is correct - there have been great technical strides in the past decade. And Netchicken is also correct in his assumption that the defense industry / DoD leak information out about secret technologies that are being transferred into the mainstream military deployment.

My job has me working in one of the peripheral areas of military aviation and I can assure you, (although without proof or reffering to specifics) that this is standard operating procedure for these guys.

In fact - I posted the following in one of the other discussion threads, but it would apply here too:

If "they" say that a new technology is being examined - it is quite probably a technology being pulled out of the black.

If "they" say that something is being researched then chances are a g.i. deployment version under development.

If "they" say something is under development then chances are there is a working copy(ies) being tested.

If "they" say something is being tested then there is probably at least one operational squadron ready for orders. (referring to aircraft)

If "they" say something is being researched, developed or tested and then you hear no more about it - then you've got something that has gone super-black. Usually when an offshoot technology is discovered that has far reaching possibilities or implications.

intelgurl

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Well still sounds like we are a ways from a hand held device of much destructive power as in science fiction.

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I find it interesting that here we are on a website reknowned for conspiracy theory rhetoric and what happens when confronted with govt' and mainstream defense industry press releases? You believe what they are telling you?!
The US is not the only country fielding laser and energy weapons - yes even hand held ones, Russia & China are deep in this technology too....

If "they" say they are looking into a handheld laser weapon or developing the technology, it's a done deal at DARPA and the things are being readied for mainstream deployment...

May i point you to a couple of articles by reliable sources found on the web -

Defense Review Magazine:
www.defensereview.com...

Is Stavatti for real? Jane's says so:
fasttrack.janes.com...

Chinese Attack Laser:
www.china-defense.com...

Article on Chinese Laser in action:
www.upi.com...

One of the ways the US countering Chinese Laser Threat?
www.gentexcorp.com...

Popular Mechanics:
popularmechanics.com...

there's a bunch more, but this should keep you busy for a while...

intelgurl

posted on Oct, 20 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the NASA "UFO" video's?

it shows lazers coming from the earth trying to shoot down the UFO's

theys videos are not fake, they were broadcast live.

The next mission they *stopped* broadcasting live

www.qtm.net...

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
Has anyone seen the NASA "UFO" video's?

it shows lazers coming from the earth trying to shoot down the UFO's

Haven't seen that particular clip - which by the way is fascinating - but i've seen similar ones from sts80 that NASA actually tried to explain away as ice crystals being manipulated by the rockets.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 06:34 AM
link   
intelgurl,

Those are some great links that clearly demonstrate a highly advanced system. Particularly the Stavatti system. I've also heard that many US troops are being trained to deal with non-lethal laser wounds (basically cover up both sides of it).

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Seeing as laser is only light, wouldnt these weapons be defeated by reflective sufaces like mirrors?

Mabye the shield will make a come back, but it will be a mirror surface.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Kalistenics]

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:02 AM
link   

I've also heard that many US troops are being trained to deal with non-lethal laser wounds (basically cover up both sides of it).

Many? Maybe many Special Forces. The most I was trained to deal with was if you were to have a laser pointer beam in your eye for a long time. non-lethel wound is a very vague term.

Seeing as laser is only light, wouldnt these weapons be defeated by reflective sufaces like mirrors?

Not with the heat and intensity these lasers will operate at. Even if mirrors worked would an enemy army cover their people and equipment with enough reflective materials to make a differance? You notice that the US Army doesnt bother with bullet proof face covers right? Also it would be rather hard for mirror covered vechicles to be sneaky.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Rahizial]

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rahizial

I've also heard that many US troops are being trained to deal with non-lethal laser wounds (basically cover up both sides of it).

Many? Maybe many Special Forces. The most I was trained to deal with was if you were to have a laser pointer beam in your eye for a long time. non-lethel wound is a very vague term.

Not with the heat and intensity these lasers will operate at. Even if mirrors worked would an enemy army cover their people and equipment with enough reflective materials to make a differance? You notice that the US Army doesnt bother with bullet proof face covers right? Also it would be rather hard for mirror covered vechicles to be sneaky.

[Edited on 21-10-2003 by Rahizial]

Ok then, how about electromagetic fields?
Laser light is elcectromagnetic energy so it would be affected by a strong field.
This would work like an invisable shield around a tank or whatever deflecting laser light.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalistenics
Laser light is elcectromagnetic energy so it would be affected by a strong field.
This would work like an invisable shield around a tank or whatever deflecting laser light.

Theres likely several problems with that too, and lasers wont be the ultimate weapon anyways. I doubt that kinetic weapons will ever stop being used.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rahizial

Theres likely several problems with that too, and lasers wont be the ultimate weapon anyways. I doubt that kinetic weapons will ever stop being used.

Nevertheless i think that as soon as these laser weapons are around, that electromagnetic shields will be around. But yes i think kinetic weapons will always be around as you cant rely on one type of weapon.

posted on Oct, 21 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Mabye the shield will make a come back, but it will be a mirror surface.

Actually mirrors can negatively affect a Laser, even a very high potency laser; humidity (clouds), dust, etc can also impact a laser's ability to kill, maim and destroy.

However, many of these things being described as lasers actually incorporate particle beam physics which is a totally different concept - mirrors are not an issue with most particle beam technologies.

new topics

top topics

join