It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Come...(Points)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I've noticed recently that a number of people have signed up to ATS only to create a thread titled something like "OMFG U WILL HVAE TO RED THIS - I MET AN ET/ALIEN/NWO/REPTILIAN" only to have legions of posters angrily reply, which inevitably gives the hoaxer a vast number of points with minimum effort.

To be fair on the Mods they are cracking down alot, but there are still some slipping through.
What cheeses me (and I'm gonna be honest) is the fact that the points they collect stay theirs. Some members have created posts which go against the very nature of Denying Ignorance. One such poster claims that the fact dolphins can click several hundred times a second is a clear sign of either extraterrestrial intelligence or advanced technology.

Isn't there a way to keep these kind of things from happening? And the fact that they are given points for each angry reply kind of detracts from the points sytem's whole purpose doesn't it?

Anyway that was my rant. Keep on denying ATSers

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
*[removed unnecessary quote of Entire preceeding post]*

I've noticed a couple like that in the past few months and the responses were like you said; IMO, oblivious though to what the posts really are.

Unfortunately it's been a while and I don't have an example.

In posts like what you describe, keep an eye out for the links to other sites. I always see a link to some other site (e.g., "OMFG, I FOUND ATLANTIS, THIS SITE TOLD ME WHERE IT IS - CHECK IT OUT, YOU'LL LIKE IT - WWW.BLAH...").

Other site always ends up being some sort of click scam or something trying to exploit a hack.

Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/18/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
are you saying the mods get the points they take away???

this is not the case...

or, are you saying the ATSers that make crazy threads collect points even though the topic is not popular (to you)???

the is the beauty of ATS!!!

collaborative discussion (not that some ATSers get points for unwanted discussion deemed by you)...

i hope you understand what i am saying...

this thread should assist you:

A Reminder - What is Ignorance and Everything is Not a Conspiracy...

[edit on 17-5-2006 by they see ALL]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Mods look at a few things, such as is this in the right forum? Is there a decent link to back it up? Is this discussion conspiracy related?

Even those who seem to be way out there have the right to discuss what is going on in their mind.

As a mod it's not my place to say that what someone else is discussing is crap. It's my place to move it to the right forum, To make sure it is within the terms of the board and to insure the discourse is civil.

I am not here to silence anyone. I'm here to make sure the board runs smoothly and each of us have the opportunity to deny the ignorance that is thrown at us daily.

We will never deny ignorance by trying to silence it or locking it away. It must be confronted.

Just my thoughts,

wupy

[edit on 17-5-2006 by mrwupy]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I don't see that it matters anyway. The whole point hording mentallity is just for people to fuel their ego IMO. Points don't get you much, so why worry about it. If points are important to you, stick around, it won't be long till you have plenty.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
I don't see that it matters anyway. The whole point hording mentallity is just for people to fuel their ego IMO. Points don't get you much, so why worry about it. If points are important to you, stick around, it won't be long till you have plenty.

I agree with you, except . . . .

- Ridiculous threads increase the "noise to signal ratio" at ATS. The more cruddy threads, the less likely you are wade through every last one. The one you skip over in frustration might be the very one that would have made your trip to ATS worthwhile.

- Assinine thread put posters in a bad mood; so when they find your thread, they are belicose and take everything you say it its worst possible light.

- Facetious threads set a precedent of people posting stuff that they know is garbage. Now we have mods and supers authoring threads with purposefully misleading titles, and telling us it "was just a joke, get over it." And now MOST of the UFO threads (which should otherwise be the "heart" of ATS) are now garbage posted by "point trollops"

All of these factors have a negative influence on ATS.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Its a question mulled over often.
In all the posts relevent......this Star Wars parody of ATS points was stellar.
I am sharing FYI......its pretty good. read down the link.....see the pics
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit to loerz@Weeeee

[edit on 18-5-2006 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
Now we have mods and supers authoring threads with purposefully misleading titles, and telling us it "was just a joke, get over it."

WHAT?! Show me an example of this...

Springer...

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'd like to see an example of that myself. Show me one example of a mod starting a thread and then saying it was just a joke.

wupy

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Hey dude don't worry you are getting some free points here. I also notice that votes for way above now seem to go to people who start threads almost exclusively for some reason?

Either way make it your objective to learn and to teach others and you will get the most of your experience here.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
An example of a mod or super posting a misleading thread?

howabout this one:

Political Immigration Conspiracy of the Right Exposed!

The third sentence in the first post:

The thread title is an "Amigo ruse" to get your attention. Sorry for the confusion, hopefully it illustrates a point.

versus the "Number 1" of the Terms and conditions:

By becoming a member of these domains, you agree to the following:

Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I have a points question.... How do some people manage to get a negative points rating?!!

That has had me wondering for some time now....

and its not the -5 points that make me wonder... I seen somewhere somebody had excess of -1000 pts... wow

Also I'd love to se a reply to the last post here... Good find

[edit on 19-5-2006 by jta79]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
jta79...

people can get "warned" by a moderator and points are taken away...

also (i am not sure but) when people buy things from the store (like font colors and etc. for their mini-profile) their points can go into the negatives too...

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
And don't forget, some people can amass points by "tagging".

I have gotten way more points by this than by posts, but the mods encourage members to do it and I assume it helps make ATS a better resource by helping "organize" all the info here.

Although my little gray bar does seem to be acquiring a slight "reddish" tinge to it...

[edit on 5/19/2006 by apocalypticon]

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

An example of a mod or super posting a misleading thread?

howabout this one:

Political Immigration Conspiracy of the Right Exposed!

The third sentence in the first post:

The thread title is an "Amigo ruse" to get your attention. Sorry for the confusion, hopefully it illustrates a point.

versus the "Number 1" of the Terms and conditions:

By becoming a member of these domains, you agree to the following:

Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Touche.

The whole idea of granting points to (for lack of a better term) jokey threads makes members angry to find out "OMG ALIENS EXIST!!!" actually means "I have found a video on the net about a guy reading a book with some pictures in it that I think are real". Anyone who reads this thread will be in a bad mood for the rest of their stay here.
Plus, these threads are likely to give visitors to the site incentive to join which will mean ATS loses out as a whole.

top topics

join