It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful Wales.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I am off home to Wales for a couple of weeks soon. Cant wait! Its a great part of the UK, and very much un-discovered due to the English tourism board controlling the Welsh Tourist Board and not giving Wales the credit it deserves. Here's some pics from the BBC 'your pictures' section...

Peace
McP.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
lol.,

i know north wales really well, spent most of my youth driving up to Abersoch and Anglsey for the weekends....its super beautifull and definatley worth a visit.

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
some images i took of a victorian event in Porthmadoc on the Ffestiniog railway last year showing a little of the scenery and trains ect.

i45.photobucket.com...

i45.photobucket.com...

[edit on 18-8-2006 by solidshot]

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Funny you should mention Wales, I have recently been there

I have been crossing the UK in two and a half weeks and also been in wales for a few days, I've seen Caernarfon, Cardiff and that funny place with the longest name in the world
some other places too ofcourse...

Here's some pics:
i27.photobucket.com...
i27.photobucket.com...
The City of Caernarfon

i27.photobucket.com...
i27.photobucket.com...
The Town With the longest name in the world

i27.photobucket.com...
i27.photobucket.com...
Snowdonia National Park, and some sheeps in on the road :d (excuse the poor quality of the sheep photo, i had to zoom like a maniac...)

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/8/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It is a beautiful place indeed. Hopefully I'll be able to visit my true home country someday.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
My ancestry is from there, and I can't wait to one day go there with my wife... Closest I've ever been was London a couple of times...

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Ah, this could be a good place to ask this question. My ancestry is also from Wales. (I've never been and neither has my father, grandfather, etc., you get the picture.)

But when I say to people "My father's side of the family came from Wales", people start laughing. I'll ask why, and it's usually something like "well, you know what they said about the Welsh".

Well, no. I don't know. What is it they say about the Welsh?

Someone said something about being "nomads", but those were just people who moved around, yes? Not like Vikings, or anything, not criminals. I don't get it. I always think of the Welsh as farmers and sheepherders.

Can somebody shed some light on this?

[edit on 12/24/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcphisto

I forgot to wish you bon voyage. Have a wonderful trip and holiday.
Maybe you can bring us back some photographs and stories about those nomad Welsh!

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
My grandfather is from Wales. I have always wanted to see it.

He left as a kid. A relative when to his hometown about 10 years ago. Amazingly, an old man there actually remembered my grandfather and his brother. My grandfather was 85.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Hi All, nice to know your eager to visit Wales.

I've lived here all my life so I thought I'd have a go giving you a rough guide!

Firstly Wales is largely Rural but with pockets of intense urbanization along the south coast. The exception to this being the post industrial landscape of the South Wales Valleys, which has some huge scars from the now dead coal empire that fulled the industrial revolution.

If your looking for history then Wales has the highest concentration of castles in the world (Mainly built by the English during the Medieval ages to suppress uprisings and rebellion).

Also it has many neolithic burial chambers and mini-stone henge's, and also Bardsey Island which reputedly has 20,000 saints buried under the soil of the tiny island (It also has its own king).

Wales has its only language (Welsh) on which 25% of the population still speak in mainly rural areas. If you've been you'll notice the bilingual road signs. The language is brythonic in origin, originally it was spoken by people all across the UK but due to invasions and war most of the people were forced into the far corners of the British Isles. Wales was one of the area's that offered protection due to its mountainous terrain and the people who fled there are the direct ancestors to todays welsh (Well a part of the gentic milkshake!).

There are some great mountain ranges and if hiking and exploring is your thing then visit the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia. Also the beaches around the Gower and Llyn Peninsula are untouched and unspoiled.

Population wise, most of the locals are friendly rural or urban and will happy gives directions/recommendations about local places to visit/eat etc. Tourism is growing in importance in Wales since the old heavy industries have died out- so expect a warm and enthusiastic welcome!

Although its not all gloss since Wales is on an economic par with Romania and there is a fair bit of poverty and serious drug problems in Urban areas, but its still just as safe as anywhere in the Uk to visit!

Millions of people in the USA have Welsh heritage, and many of the founding fathers were directly welsh. Griffith Park in LA was donated by a welshman and a welshman also fought at the Alamo.

Also worth checking this out-

www.historic-uk.com... tm

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Wales is a beautiful country. Unfortunately most of Wales is ruined for me by crackpot anti-English xenophobes.

Can't even visit the place without being abused physically or verbally. Definately a country i now go out of my way to avoid. Horrible people in general.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Which part are you visiting?
Its all good here in Cymru!

Image 3 looks like rhossili.
Also I notice Castel Carreg Cennin and I think Cardiff Castle.
And I think one of them is taken of a family in The Brecon Beacons.

[edit on 20/4/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

new topics

top topics

join