It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Stop Swearing Around Kids!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Something that gets to me is when people swear around children. Now do we really need to be teaching kids bad language?

Imagine this: A parent who uses bad language even around their kids. One day Little Johnny goes to school and is in the 1st grade. The teacher decides to ask the students if they have learned any thing today. She asks Little Johnny.

Little Johnny says to the teacher "Today I learned the word *drops the f-bomb*". The teacher then calls for a meeting with the parents and tells the parents that their kid has swore in class.

"Now where could have Little Johnny learned this kind of language?"

I know swearing is something alot of people tend to do when they are older but do we really want children to be using this sort of language?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well, I don't go out of my way to swear in front of my kids but it happens. When it does I explain to them that those words are only okay for adults to use and even then only in certain situations. They completly understand and they never swear no matter how often they happen to hear swearing in public or what not.

I don't know, I kind of think that the more we shelter kids from things like that the more they will want to swear when they finally do hear it somewhere. I think it's better if the reality of things are explained to them before they hear it somewhere else.

Just my opinion anyways, it seems to work for me.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It happened to my BIL and my SIL with my 10 year old nephew. My BIL thought it was funny and laughed all during the parent-teacher meeting. My SIL got mad and vehemently denied that they had used such language in their house at any time when my nephew was around. I was asked after the fact by his teacher about the issue and I told her the truth - They use that language frequently and loudly so I wasn't surprised by the incident at all.

I have a teenager that is going through the "big man" phase. He slips around me occasionally and lets a curse word fly. I told him, "Not until you are on your own and can stand up for yourself or accept the repercussions for what you say and do."

JDub

join