It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court upholds Israeli spouse ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
the Israeli supreme court has held up a Ban (6:5) on Palestinians from living with their spouses and children in Israel itself.
this in general is arab israelis have am option give up their homes or lose their rights to be with their kids/partners and live in israel

news.bbc.co.uk
By a six-to-five majority, the court rejected petitions brought by civil rights groups, members of the Israeli parliament and Arab Israeli families.

The government says the law, passed at a time of rising violence in 2002, is based on security concerns.

But critics say it is discriminatory and violates rights to a family life.

The case has been described as one of the most important questions the Supreme Court has dealt with in recent years.

One of the groups that challenged the law said thousands of families were affected, that they have been forced to move abroad or live apart.

Orna Kohn, a lawyer for a group defending Israeli Arabs, said Sunday's ruling caused "grave damage to the basic rights of thousands of people".

But the Israeli state says the recent election victory of the militant group Hamas strengthened its case that Palestinians were a security risk and should not be allowed into the country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Israel says this is a security measure because
Hamas was voted in by the Palestinians,

and since they make up 1/5 of the population and have a larger birth rate i really doubt its to do with security since Israel wants a jewish state mainly deprived of jews

[edit on 14-5-2006 by bodrul]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
How can Israel call itself a democracy? It is a democracy in the fact that all citizens get to vote, but not in that laws are racist.

To me Israel is the greatest example of how bad democracy can be.

Like two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Sounds similar to how some Jews married to non-Jews were treated in Hitler's Europe. I wonder how this will play out in Israel. Maybe I will follow this in their news.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Gotta love how the Neocons attempt to hide the Apartheid treatment of Arabs in Israel. It is one of the most shameful, racist things I have seen in my life (ie: the whole Zionist ideology). Reminds me of Nazism and it's ideas of racial purity, segregation, lebensraum, militarism with it's neighbors, and so forth. Shameful, pitiful.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai
To me Israel is the greatest example of how bad democracy can be.

Yeah, that's exactly why it passed with one vote!

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   
if this story was vise versa and israelis were being discriminated like this
i bet more people would be up in arms on this forum
just goes to show how much the balance is on ATS

top topics

join