It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So this is how liberty dies... With thunderous applause.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Credit: George Lucas, Senator Amidala in Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Looks like things are actually going down that path, sadly. This poll seems to indicate that the fear mongering of the Western world is having the 'desired' effect by those who propogate it.
Even after being told that their own Government was spying on them, the majority of people who took part in the poll found it 'acceptable' and nearly half 'strongly approved'.

The day after USA Today broke the story that the National Security Agency (NSA) aimed to "create a database of every call ever made" within the U.S., as one of the paper's sources put it, a Washington Post-ABC News poll found that 63 percent of those who were asked said they found the NSA program to be an acceptable way to fight terrorism, and 44 percent said they strongly approved of it.

www.cnn.com...

All hail the lemming!

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Looks like I should use the Search function - please direct your attention to the existing thread:

63% of Americans believe NSA wiretapping to be ok

[edit on 14-5-2006 by AgentSmith]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
LEMMING?!
Where's ma .300 savage jilly bo, knaw ginne see em goners.

Probably just another spoke in the COG.

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
- Benjamin Franklin"

[edit on 14-5-2006 by ADVISOR]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
You really got to hand it to the neo-cons, nwo, illuminati or whoever is taking over the thought processes of the Citizens. It is so subtle, and devious that it is almost undetectable yet extremely effective. Sometimes I almost find myself buying into the lies.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!!!!

[edit on 14-5-2006 by whaaa]

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
According to something Sauron posted the whole poll was a sham anyway if I understand it correctly:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not much of a surprise there then...

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
AgentSmith

"If you don't have anything to hide, then why would anyone oppose having your conversations intercepted?"

I've heard this argument too many times and, it seems, that I can't explain the real issue of privacy and democracy to such people. In my mind, it is extremely sad as people are, indeed, sheep or, as AgentSmith calls them, lemmings.

Why can't people understand that Liberty is a uniquely special concept that is rare, fragile and exists only precariously on this planet. If people truly cherished liberty, they would protect it with every fibre of their body and with every breath in their lungs. Instead, too many stand idly by while they watch liberty being destroyed right in front of their eyes.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I highly recommend reading this page on the CNN site:

Your call: Should the NSA look at phone records?

It has good arguments on for both sides of the coin (wow a balanced view?!! - oh yeah it was CNN not Fox...).
This one was rather simplistic, but straight to the point:

Everybody has the right to have a secret even if it is as a stupid as a cooking recipe.
Alex, Atlanta, Georgia

But I recommend reading all of them, you can submit your own views too from this page:

Do you think the government should monitor domestic telephone call records? Send us your thoughts.

Let CNN and the World know what you think! You still have a voice

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Credit: George Lucas, Senator Amidala in Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Looks like things are actually going down that path, sadly. This poll seems to indicate that the fear mongering of the Western world is having the 'desired' effect by those who propogate it.
Even after being told that their own Government was spying on them, the majority of people who took part in the poll found it 'acceptable' and nearly half 'strongly approved'.

The day after USA Today broke the story that the National Security Agency (NSA) aimed to "create a database of every call ever made" within the U.S., as one of the paper's sources put it, a Washington Post-ABC News poll found that 63 percent of those who were asked said they found the NSA program to be an acceptable way to fight terrorism, and 44 percent said they strongly approved of it.

www.cnn.com...

All hail the lemming!

I saw revenge of the sith 6 times, it just get's better and better when I wach it again and again.
George Lucas intended the movie to be that way, I guess he is one of the many that fear today's turns and twists.
Empire=US goverment
It would look that way from the movie's point of view.
And if democracy dies yes it will die with an aplause in the senate, with every one aplauding it and not knowing what they voted for, seems it hapens more and more, patriot act I, patriot act II, security home land, and so on................
The movie is an inspiration for today's world, I give lucas a big credit for doing this.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Thanks, AgentSmith, for the CNN link. As one person brought up and is my concern, too, which group is next--those calls to a doctor/organization if abortions are banned, those calls to gay/lesbian groups if gay marriage is banned, those calls to an opposition political party...? Also, with so much secrecy, we can't do as even Reagan said--trust but verify.
Maybe Bush subscribes to the idea that earthlings were put here by ancient aliens whose planet was dying. Maybe he's transporting democracy to Iraq, because it's dying in America.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Yea this isn't knew and its called ECHELON.
en.wikipedia.org...
Don't worry though, when the government starts putting cameras into peoples homes and the N.W.O comes into power we'll all have been hunted down and executed!

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Ferrozone, ack, I had forgotten about Echelon! You're right. Hey, I'm a good law abiding citizen, what's there to worry about--start worrying, now, about the type of government you want to live under! Maybe required reading of The Puzzle Palace by James Bamford should be in schools (and churches).

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a real "V" in this world? Someone who fights for the common folk?

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Virtus Semper Viret

Yes there just may be, some one who fights, for the common folk.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

United we Stand, The Rest is, Not an Option.

top topics

join