It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

global warming threatens western canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Climate change a threat to low-lying B.C.: study
CTV.ca News Staff

Some waterfront properties in B.C. could be under water in a few hundred years, warn some climate change analysts.

"We just sort of say, 'Oh yeah, don't worry about it, it'll never happen, it's just prediction'," Shawn Leahy told CTV News.

He's a regular on the dykes bordering the Straights of Georgia that run between B.C.'s lower mainland and Vancouver Island.

While the experts don't think anything will happen in the near term, they do predict the following:

Rising global temperatures are melting the polar ice caps, releasing water that had been stored as ice.

The ocean level will rise, flood the wetlands cover the dykes and submerge the homes those dykes currently protect.

As global warming turns much of the Lower Mainland into Atlantis, thousands of people will have to relocate.

story - sympaticomsn.ctv.ca...

they talked about this in my paper before... i bet you it could happen in a hundred years or so. the ice caps are melting like crazy! after all that ice that falls into the water melts... people should start heading for the hills.

your say?

[edit on 13-5-2006 by worksoftplayhard]

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Well I currently live on the East coast of Canada, exactly a 5 minute walk from my computer right now to the Atlantic Ocean and I would say if B.C is going under so is Nova Scotia. I've visited Vancouver and they seem to be on sea-level as we do.

This is deffinately a problem that has to be considered and not ignored until its too late.

The question is what can we do in the short-term to see short-term results? I think the problem is most solutions spell out to be long-term solutions which in return has most people thinking they are not making a difference.

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
yea but you know what they say, if every house and plant was turned off for years, the ozone would still not be able to heal itself... were already past the "tipping point" i started a thread on that a while back. all we can do is hope god saves us when the time comes.

join